Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Aero Steerhide Barnstormer, black, sz. 48

One Blue Label black Steerhide Aero Leathers Barnstormer, in a size 48.

I don't think this is Horween steerhide but I do know that it is, without any doubt, the heaviest and thickest leather that I have ever seen. Whole thing clocks around 11 or 12 pounds. Really heavy and sturdy coat.

I know I often say this but this leather... Man, you have to see this leather. I wish ANY of the Vansons or Aeros that I've had were even half as nice as this stuff. It's why I bought a coat that's 10 sizes too large for me in the first place. Even ignoring the weight of the hide, it's just... stunningly stunning. You'll see. Just gorgeous, and also super soft and pliable, which in my not so humble opinion is a positive thing for this sort of style.
The coat is lined with Alpaca wool. Warm stuff.

So, blue airplane label on this one, though I honestly don't know why do they even bother with these labels, as hide matching on this Barnstormer is just as great as on any Aero I've handled. Nor can I spot any other deviation in construction from a standard Barnstormer. Stitching is perfect.

Long story short, I purchased this coat some time ago, only because it was being sold locally and I had a chance to see it in person, even though I knew the size would be WAY off. Fell in love with the leather. Thing is, I figured I could have it tailored for a better fit but sadly - or luckily, perhaps - all the leather jacket tailors around recommended against it as way too much of the jacket would have to be redone from it to fit me, so I decided not to go through with it.

It's an older model that has been worn (not by me, way too large for me to wear) but it is absolutely flawless, as it is plainly visible from the photos. Other than the creases, the coat is not showing any wear, anywhere at all. No scratches, marks, stains, smells, etc. All stitching absolutely perfect all around. Not even the edges have faded. Alpaca lining completely intact.

Literally the only issue that I could point out is the belt buckle which, for some reason, is really chewed up. It's not damaged or anything, just that the black paint it's been painted with isn't holding on all too well and has chipped off at places. While checking other Barnstormers on the bay, I noticed that this seems to be a common issue with these coats. Weird. You could have it re-painted easily but personally, I would replace it with something sturdier as it wasn't a really nice buckle to begin with. Small and plastic-y looking.

Other than that, perfect all around.

Size is 48, but please check measurements and photos to be sure it fits.

P2P: 28 inch / 72 cm
Waist: 24.5 inch / 62 cm (measured at the belt level)
Sleeves: 25,5 inch / 65 cm (sleeves really fall much longer than that, though)
Back: 33.8 inch / 86 cm

Hoping only to get my money back so with the TFL super turbo discount, this coat is yours for a price of 250 GBP / 360 USD plus shipping. Seriously, this one is worth it.

That's it. Business thru PP, shipping anywhere, from Europe. Check out my Classifieds rep - I've sold quite a few jackets here, and so far no complaints. :) For members without PM privelages, drop me a mail at: nav.buoy (at) gmail

Photos (click for high-res):

Plenty more high res photos in here: http://s866.photobucket.com/user/DogLizard/library/Aero Barnstormer

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I can sure vouch for Monitor's promptness and interest in getting you the best at a very fair price. He did a great job with me on a '30's HB a few weeks back! Nice Jacket BTW...

Thank you kindly, AeroFan! It was great doing business with you, too. I hope you're enjoying your HB! I mean, how could you not. :D

This one is just as perfect. I'm not sure they still work with this leather, but if it's the same as the current Steer, I understand why Carrie mentioned people greatly prefer it over HH when looking at the jackets in person. I think this particular one would put any LW to shame.

Okay, it appears that the P2P is an inch and a half wider than what I initially stated, but it's kinda hard to measure this jacket due to buttons and the whole lancer front thing it has going on. To remove any doubt, few photos with the measuring tape.

P2P:
Waist:
Sleeve (amateur):
Sleeve (proper):

This excellent beast of a coat is still available. By the way, a somewhat interesting feature on this one that's worthy of mention is that the Alpaca lining isn't sewn into the bottom hem. No idea why but I've checked, and it's just how these coats are.

Belly of the beast -

Also, Vanson (comp. weight) vs Barnstormer leather thickness. Take away the fuzziness on Vanson and Barnstormer steer is nearly twice as thick.

Last edited:
Oh, and one last thing, I wouldn't mind trading this for a lovely black CR. I know the chances that anyone looking into this coat has a CR in a size 40-42 lying around, are very slim but it doesn't hurt to ask, eh.
641xx_brown-jpg.31454

Got many requests for shoulder width, so here it is.

However, let me just note that I share Stu's sentiments toward shoulder width measurement, or rather, that it doesn't exist in itself. I've had jackets with the exact same shoulder width being either too narrow or too wide in the shoulders, and it is my observation that usually, the jacket in the correct size will fit the wearer in the shoulders. There are too many factors that make for how the shoulders of the jacket will fit, and the width between the sleeve seams has least to do with it. Also, it is extremely difficult to measure the width of the shoulders on this jacket because of the very flexible lancer front. I can, however, make a promise that if this coat is in your size, the shoulders will work for you. :)

Last edited:
Still available and just perfect for those hot summer days that are not long off. Okay, maybe not but it's still one helluva coat! :D

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So, blue airplane label on this one, though I honestly don't know why do they even bother with these labels, as hide matching on this Barnstormer is just as great as on any Aero I've handled. Nor can I spot any other deviation in construction from a standard Barnstormer. Stitching is perfect.

Hi Monitor can yo elaborate on the blue airplane Aero label

Edward

Bartender
Aero use the blue Aeroplane label for specials, one-offs and (sometimes) jackets made by new machinists (though in more recent years they've developed the "Apprentice Made" Robin Hood label). When Will left and the sotck was reviewed they found quite a few half-finished jacket sitting around, which were completed and sold as stock with the blue label - some of them varied from the main patterns a bit, like they might have a Sunburst back but a Dustbowl front, that sort of thing.

The lining not being stitched to the shell at the bottom is a common feature in longer coats (including non-leather overcoats). It's got something to do with not distorting the shape of the coatcoat or ripping the stitches when you sit down in / on it a lot. Can't remember the full details, but it's a standard thing you'll see in a lot of twentieth century coats, not just Aeros.

I'd bite your hands off at this price if it were only a few sizes smaller!

Hi Monitor can yo elaborate on the blue airplane Aero label

Edward said it all. :)

Somewhat related, I don't like the design on the Blue label, though... Why's the airplane flying toward the black clouds?

And I had no clue this about the lining being a common feature, but then again, it's the first leather coat I have so no wonder. But you're definitely right 'cause, if it was stitched the lining would seriously distort the bottom hem, and it would look like there's a pipe going around the bottom hem. It's a thick lining, Alpaca is.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Barnstormer and an absolute bargain at that price, somebody's in for a great coat at an incredibly good price.

I have one and love it (recently I got a bit angsty about mine being a touch small in the shoulders but that had more to do with me being a plonker by trying to wear it over several bulky layers :confused: . I've since reconciled and have been wearing mine non stop the last 2 weeks and I'm very relieved I didn't move it on). These are brilliant coats, functional, and the fact you can remove the belt means you can change the look and feel of them - they really are one of Aero's most versatile and wearable patterns.

Just to add the blue label was also an option in itself, there's been a few jackets here over the years bought by members where they specified the blue label rather than the standard "plane, car, bike" one. I personally happen to prefer the blue label but then I'd pick blue over red any day!

And yup all Barnstormers are made with the lining unattached at the bottom regardless of what type of lining it has. As Edward pointed out it's to stop bunching and distortion.

Once again great coat and all the best with the sale, one of the bigger sized members is going to be very lucky!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Tempting - my other 1930's style Aero is a 52 but your jacket appears to be cut larger.

Whoops forgot to comment on this...

All Barnstormers are sized about one to two sizes larger than the tagged size.

Also, apologies to Monitor for blithering a lot in your sale thread but thought this might be useful info for a potential buyer.

Whoops forgot to comment on this...

All Barnstormers are sized about one to two sizes larger than the tagged size.

Also, apologies to Monitor for blithering a lot in your sale thread but thought this might be useful info for a potential buyer.

Hey, no need for apology, it's not a problem in the slightest! As a matter of fact, you can proceed with how nice this coat is, as I've gotten two PM's right after your post. XD Seriously though, thank you and what you said; it is a brilliant, no nonsense coat and IMO the ultimate all weather leather garment you can get - especially this one as it's the toughest and heaviest leather I've seen. If it was three sizes down, I wouldn't even think of it but as it is, I can almost slip out through the neck hole.

So this is the current status of the coat - one member has reserved it until tomorrow, and another member has expressed interest in buying right away which, sadly, I had to put on reserve, which I hope will not put the potential buyer off. So right now the coat is pending sale. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24