Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS Flight Suits Historical A-2 or US Authenic A-2?

Rinterstate

New in Town
I'm in the marrket for a horsehide A-2. Anyone have a opinion on either of the two makers FS or US Authenic? I have a US Authenic in goatskin but
I need a Horsehide now. I'm am leaning towards the FS Historical A-2 has any
anyone bought one recently from them that can comment on the coat?
Thanks
Randy

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
I have a Flight Suits/ Gibson & Barnes M422A Navy jacket and it is very nice---well constructed with beautiful goatskin.

I have never owned one of their A-2's, but I have spoken with a number of people who have, and they praised them a lot. Personally, I would lean towards the Flight Suits jacket instead of the US Authentic, but I know several people have had good luck with U.S. Authentic.

bfrench

Familiar Face
Rinterstate said:
I'm in the marrket for a horsehide A-2. Anyone have a opinion on either of the two makers FS or US Authenic? I have a US Authenic in goatskin but
I need a Horsehide now. I'm am leaning towards the FS Historical A-2 has any
anyone bought one recently from them that can comment on the coat?
Thanks
Randy

Hi, Randy,

I have both the FS historical goat and horse hide A-2.

The goat is a vegetable tan russet that took almost no wearing to break in - the color is supposed to be quite close to the RW 18091 original color.

The horsehide is their mahogany which would be equivalent to the seal from other makers.

The jacket is drum dyed which means the color is all the way through the leather so you'll not get another color showing through with wear.

The finish is very durable taking quite a while to wear through - I've wrung the jacket like wringing a towel to get rid of water to help break it in.

The collar sits down nicely even with the collar stand.

A little pricier than US A but I think well worth the price.

If you contact FS and ask for Dave Marshall and explain that you want a jacket made from grainy hides they'll try and accomodate you.

Another consideration is fit - if you are a trim person then US A may be a better fit - if you are beginning to show your age then the looser fitting FS would be a better choice.

Bill French

kojax

Practically Family
hello i have the a2 goatskin from flight suite nice jacket......i have a a2 dark seal horsehide from u.s.mfg nice jacket breaking in very well. i had it for 4 months now......i got a a2 horsehide from fligt suites size 38 to big. the one from u.s. mfg size 36 was a right fit for me.......i think flight suite has nice leather......i am thinking of getting a g-i jacket from flight suite.........

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you already have a US A A-2 in goatskin, you should probably get the HH one from FS just for variation. I have jackets by both makers, and I like them all - and I find that having the variety is interesting in itself.

As folks have said, FS sizing is bigger all around, particularly in the chest/shoulders/arms (but the body length is shorter than US A's). You might need to go down a size, depending on your build.

Now that US A has gone up a bit, the pricing is pretty comparable... IF you order from FS via their Web site, which still has the old prices that are $100 less than their printed catalog!

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Have had both goatskin and HH from FS and they are very fine jackets and well worth the money. Customer service is very good. Heck they called after I got my jacket to make sure everything was ok. You can't beat that. I think I agree with Doc Strange have a variety of jackets. I have Buzz Rickson and Real McCoys right now in my stable.

Rinterstate

New in Town
In looking at both from the price side the FS jacket only turns out to be $32 more than the US A jacket. I'm guessing that the FS jacket is similar to a Cooper in fit being a more generous cut. I had a Cooper horsehide and I started showing my age as we say in the belly region and my wife took a shine to it and loves the jacket. I didnt really like the blousiness of the sleeves on Cooper. Is the same true for the fit of the FS?

Thanks for all the input. I did do a search before my first post and it didn't turn up any comparable results. Then after I posted I started looking at past posts and found the other posts the same as mine. So I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not trying to beat a dead horse so to speak. :)

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Rinterstate said:
In looking at both from the price side the FS jacket only turns out to be $32 more than the US A jacket. I'm guessing that the FS jacket is similar to a Cooper in fit being a more generous cut. I had a Cooper horsehide and I started showing my age as we say in the belly region and my wife took a shine to it and loves the jacket. I didnt really like the blousiness of the sleeves on Cooper. Is the same true for the fit of the FS?

Thanks for all the input. I did do a search before my first post and it didn't turn up any comparable results. Then after I posted I started looking at past posts and found the other posts the same as mine. So I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not trying to beat a dead horse so to speak. :)
Use this page for some measurements on FS.
http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/measure.shtml

For 32 bucks get the FS much better jacket. Yes FS has a more generous cut so check out the site above. Also their customer service can work we you on the exact size you need.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
I just got a insulated civil a-2 from flight suits and I have received two follow up calls from Nyla the salesperson. So I am very well satisfied with the service that i recieved.

I really love the jacket...it does very well for my job during these cold weather days of Missouri. It may have been a return, but Nyla sold me a $350 jacket for $100...it had some patches sewn on the shoulders that were removed, that left holes in the sleeves. However at a distant, you can't tell...and after looking at it...who cares....I'd take another one like just like it...

mark the shoeshine boy

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

OK, OK, this is probably piling on, but I cannot resist. I've compared G&B and US A, and I have to give a quality nod to G&B ... by a thread. Both are good jackets, but I thought the G&B just had a little something extra. I cannot explain exactly what, though.
And, as far as a G-1 or related jacket is concerned: Gentlemen, gentlemen, check out eBay!
There. I feel better now.

dojrt71

New in Town
Just got my Gibson & Barnes HH A-2 today. It's a 46R, just like my sportcoats and that's how it fits. It's just a bit snug with a sweater under it.

G&B advertises their HH A-2 as a modern fit for modern shapes. Don't think that it fits like a current Cooper. It doesn't-not as loose. It seems to be made to fit a bigger guy the way an original fits a smaller guy. I think it's perfect.

I was considering a US A and even an Aero. I'm glad I chose the G&B. I'm 47 and I'm built like a 47 year old. I just don't think the closer cut of the others look as good on an older, bigger guy.

My advice would be to get the G&B unless you have very little extra around the middle.

Chuck

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
I have to agree. If you want the loose fit go with the G&B, I had one in a 46 and I usualy took a 48 and it was still loose. I now have a USA and it fits snugger. Depends on your shape. The fit and finish on the G&B is better than the USA. I like the hide on the USA I got though, it's is by far the nicest HH I have seen for the money. If you want to get into a true A-2 fit, I just got an old Eastmen, which looks and feels like an original. Too many choices, not enough dough.:)

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
Feraud,

My G&B M422A Navy jacket is a size 40 and fits me well. I would normally wear a 42 in most jackets. In a genuine issue Navy G-1, I would wear a 44.

So I would say from my experience and what I have heard, with G&B jackets you need to go down about one size.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
Hey Smithy,

Now you're talking! The Aero Anniversary model is an EXCELLENT A-2 jacket!
I owned one in jerky russet with the reddish knits. What a sweet jacket. Unforunately, I ended up selling it because it was a 40 and I need a 42. I liked that jacket SO much, but I could not make the size work and since I had bought it off ebay, I could not do an exchange.

I do have an Aero 15142-P model in seal brown horse in a 42 and I really like it.

I will say that if a person is looking for an excellent A-2, the Aero Anniversary is the way to go. I definitely find it worth the extra money over a Real Deal because it has MATCHED jerky hides. I am a bit of a perfectionist and the Anniversary works for me because you get the nice look of the jerky leather but you don't have to worry about a wierd spot of leather that is totally different looking. Now, I know that many guys like the unpredictability of the Real Deal, but I would choose the Anniversary model any day!

I will be purchasing a replacement Anniversary model in a 42 in the very near future. I will go for the russet matched jerky hide with either the red or berry knits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran