Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Named Vintage Morning Coat and Waistcoat (1916) - owned by Otto Kahn

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Have you ever wanted to dress like a millionaire? This could be your opportunity.

I am thinning out my vintage collection and, though it pains me, this is one of the gems that no longer fits me. For many years I wore this outfit (twinned with 1930s striped trousers, a black silk hat, malaca cane, kid gloves and white spats) to weddings and to higher degree ceremonies (below my academic gown), but the time has come to allow somebody else to enjoy it. One of my sons is modelling the coat for me.

I picked up the items in an antique clothing shop in London during the late 1980s and, although I could see the high quality of the cloth and workmanship, it wasn't until I looked in the pockets that I saw the tailor's label (C.F John's & Pegg, 2 Clifford Street, London, W.) with the handwritten 'Otto Kahn Esq Nov 1916'.

Pre-internet days of course and so a trip to the library and an examination of 'Who Was Who' revealed who Kahn was (American Loungers would probably have been familiar with the multi-millionaire, financier, philanthropist (and model for the 'Monopoly' game logo).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Hermann_Kahn (1867-1934).

This is a coat and waistcoat of exceptional quality - tailored from a finely woven woollen cloth with a very subtle diamond pattern.

IMG_0458_zps6afa9b97.jpg

Tailcoat

IMG_0452_zps1e2a7b23.jpg

IMG_0453_zpsa6e3261f.jpg

IMG_0454_zps5910825a.jpg

The tailcoat is a single breasted 2-button fastening morning coat with high quality, silk covered buttons with a checkerboard pattern.
IMG_0457_zps487c201c.jpg

All edges (including chest pocket and cuff edge) are lined with silk ribbon.
The surgeon’s cuffs are edged with ribbon and bear 4 silk covered buttons.
IMG_0459_zps3e86ac69.jpg

The interior is lined in padded silk, with an inner pocket to the chest and a ticket pocket towards the edge of the body near the waist.
There are two silk lined buttons to the rear above the skirt pleats.

The sleeves are fully lined with purple striped silk.

Waistcoat
IMG_0448_zpsa884c2e6.jpg

The waistcoat is single breasted with 4-button fastening (and a fifth lower button), with matching silk covered buttons with a checkerboard pattern.

Once again all edges (including the four pockets) are lined with silk ribbon.
IMG_0450_zps1816aa75.jpg

There are seven buttons (four original) to bear a button stand.
The black rear panel is original (as is the metal clasp), but the interior was re-lined when I bought it as the original was beyond repair.
IMG_0451_zps2f6cfa20.jpg

Both items are in excellent condition - no smells and no staining.
There is a minor moth nip (professionally darned) on the chest but this is virtually invisible.
IMG_0456_zpsac178962.jpg

Tailcoat Dimensions:
Chest 42"
Shoulders 18"
Sleeves 22.5"
Rear seam 39”

Waistcoat Dimensions:
Chest 42"
Rear Seam 20"
Overall length 23"

I am offering the ensemble on the FL before it goes on EBay and I am asking £495 plus postage/PayPal fees (if applicable).

Please PM me if you are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner