Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Pre-WW2 Brooks Brothers fedora, 7 1/4

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I’m pleased to offer this amazing hat, made in England and sold by Brooks
Brothers. Most of the Brooks Brothers hats you see are marked with the
maker (Lock or Herbert Johnson).

The features of this hat, and consultation with eminent Floungers, all lead me to the conclusion that it is from the 1930s. The liner is made of exquisite satin. The intricate, old-fashioned styling of the liner logo, and the signs of oilcloth/celluloid linertop are two good indicators.
The sweatband also appears to be very old, both in style and in its construction. The russet grainy leather I’ve never really seen on postwar hats. It’s of the reeded type, but this is not uncommon in British (or American for that matter) hats of the era. See Dinerman’s sweatband thread to make your own mind up.
The dimensions are also not uncommon for a British hat of this era. Its 4 ¾” crown and 2” brim work very well for some head-types - note the pic below of myself wearing that hat (suits me well, don't ya think?). The dimensions of the crown vs the ribbon would
also suggest the 1930s era.

The condition is good for the age of the hat. The felt, while still very sturdy and heavy weight is surprisingly soft and moldable with no moth nips or holes. The caramel brown color is consistant throughout with no uneven fading or staining. There is some waviness in the felt just above the bow but does not detract from the overall appearance of the hat. The black ribbon and bow have some wrinkles and loose stitches here and there but still have plenty of life in them. The vertical piece of the bow is nicely pleated.

BBfedora001.jpg

BBfedora002.jpg

BBfedora003.jpg

BBfedora004.jpg

The inside is just as nice as the outside. There is evidence of an oilcloth/celluloid linertop that has flaked off, exposing the Brooks Brothers liner logo to full effect. No staining on the liner. The sweatband is in very good condition with no signs of drying or cracking. Still soft and pliable. Unfortunately the sweatband stitching has come undone in a couple places and while the sweatband is still secure and the hat is wearable, it wouldn't hurt to restitch the loose areas.

BBfedora005.jpg

BBfedora006.jpg

BBfedora007.jpg

BBfedora008.jpg

The interior of the sweatband measures 23", so the size is right around 7 1/4 to 7 3/8.

Here are a couple photos showing similar 1930s hats with narrow brims like this BB fedora:
1933-1.jpg

1937suits.jpg

Overall a very attractive and rare 1930s fedora in good condition. Don't let this one slip by!

Reduced to $75 plus shipping in the U.S. and international. Paypal only, PM if interested.

This hat was originally bought for me by Thunderw21 as the seller wouldn't ship to the UK. As it was too big for me, we decided to sell it, and he put it up here in the Classifieds.

Well, I will be listing this on eBay this weekend, after some final important additions to the auction listing by Thunder. So this is truly the last chance to buy it here. Please contact Thunder if you want to buy it. I'll add the link to my "Baron Kurtz's eBay auctions" thread when it's listed. I'll also be putting up a bunch of other stuff on US eBay.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot