Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS Rare David D Doniger/McGregor Sportswear AN-J-3 tagged size 40 (actual 42)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I am offering for sale my David D Doniger/McGregor Sportswear AN-J-3.

This is a civilian example of the short-lived attempt to address the flight jacket needs of both the army and navy - consequently it has some elements of both the A-2 and later naval jackets (e.g. the AN-J-3A or M-422A) bi-swing back, rayon lining without the mouton collar.

I have been alternating this with my A-1 for a few months and it is the most comfortable jacket that I own (shoulders, arms and chest).

It's a flattering cut with a roomy/longer but neat torso with a narrow half belt and wide shoulders/arm holes. The arm profile is very similar to a Doniger A-2. The closure is with a triple-marked Talon on an olive green tape (no separation, all complete, works smoothly) and a wide wind flap to the rear (3/4 height), snapped map pocket towards the inside of the lining.

One cuff has previously been replaced with a well matched period replacement. The rib rack waistband is almost woven cotton (not very elasticated) and like the McGregor A-2 has a two-tone weave (dark brown and red).

I've listed dimensions below, but although it's labelled a 40, it actually fits like a 42. I am typically a vintage size 44 in an A-2, but this is a forgiving pattern and it accommodates me pretty well aside from a slightly snug fit in the torso.

The shell is a thick, soft capeskin - there are no smells and a great patina. The grain is incredibly subtle and very similar to my former McGregor A-2, albeit a little thicker - like the domestic capeskin used in the older GW A-1 (in terms of colour too). It was originally pretty glossy and this is still visible in some areas that have seen less wear.

The collar has a typical Doniger profile with narrow points. There are three horizontal lines of stitching across the underside of the rear of the collar. It has the same folded hanger loop as the Doniger A-2 and a 'V' shaped throat flap.

The pockets are wide with a pen slot in the left one (like a M-422A), pale brown horn buttons on the pockets and the underside of the collar.

The sleeves are rotated and inset with underarm expansion (each with three underarm grommets). Very, very comfortable in use - no riding up when driving and easy to fold arms.

The jacket was made by David D Doniger around 1943 and bears the label of the commercial arm of the business, McGregor Sportswear.

I have attended to the minor repair work (sewn a loose button and had the knits darned and the small tears in the rayon lining professionally repaired to a high standard).

Shoulders = 18.5"
Front (pit to pit without pleats extended) = 22"
Zipper length = 23.5"
Back length (including waist knit) = 26"
Arm length (outer edge, including knit) = 24.5"
Arm length (armpit to edge of knit) = 21"
Width of jacket at top of waistband = 20"

I am asking £575 ($930), with free shipping in the UK. I'll give it a few days then put it on EBay if there's no interest.

AN-J-3front-1.jpg

AN-J-3back.jpg

AN-J-3lining.jpg

AN-J-3zip.jpg

DSCF1945.jpg

DSCF1944.jpg

DSCF1943.jpg

DSCF1939.jpg

DSCF1938.jpg

DSCF1937.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads