Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: US Navy G1 sz46, 7823 brown leather pilot jacket, goat, flight, LW Foster 1950s

Tkecks

Familiar Face
I just listed this on ebay (lots of photos):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/281858129988?

US Navy G1 leather pilots jacket in size 46
original early to mid 1950's MIL-J 7823 (AER)

IMG_5472_zps96be626e.jpg

Reddish brown goat leather, heavy quality leather with incredible pebbled texture.

The original label is well preserved and reads:

BUREAU OF AERONAUTICS USA
FLIGHT JACKET, INTERMEDIATE, G-1
SPECIFICATION NO.MIL-J-7823(AER)
L.W. FOSTER SPORTSWEAR CO. INC.
CONTRACT NO.DA-36-243-QM(CTM)2134
SIZE 46

This is an original first series 7823 (AER) G-1 jacket, ie. it is from from 1951-1961, before the 7823 series started getting letters (1961: 7823A; 1963 7823B; 1964 7823C; 1968 7823D; etc.). This contract number identifies this jacket as an early LW Foster contract, so probably mid 1950's.

The luxurious red fur collar is original and in pretty much perfect condition, with no notable loss of fur. The waistband is original and is in generally good condition, with only a few very minor rough areas (see photos). There are a few very tiny spots of what looks like white paint, but these are very few (maybe 4-5 on whole jacket); the spots are not noticable without close scrutiny, and I have included some in the photos to show this. The cuffs have been replaced at some point in the past (before I owned it) and are in good condition. The brass zipper still has its leather pull, and is a conmar, and looks like it was originally colored black (as expected for this series). The windflap is stamped USN.

2 front pockets: 1 inside pocket.
size label on the main label but also the front pocket.
Brass zipper front (Conmar)
Soft liner in good condition
Brass armpit grommets with no corrosion

SIZE
Tagged as a 46" chest, which is very large for jackets of this era, and hard to find. It is probably equivalent to a modern day large or on the smaller side of XL. I am wearing it in the photos and I am a 46" chest, 6' 1.5" tall and slightly overweight. See below for exact measurements.

Measurements when zipped up and laying flat-
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 20.5"
Chest (armpit to armpit): 23.5"
Length (bottom of collar to bottom hem): 25"
Armpit seam to leather cuff: 17"
Armpit seam to knitted cuff: 19"
Shoulder seam to leather cuff: 22.5"
Shoulder seam to knitted cuff: 24.5"

Overall this is a rare find in a very wearable size. I'm only selling it because I have accepted that I will never lose enough weight to make it fit me comfortably.

Sold as-is, no returns.

From a smoke-free home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24