Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Vintage (50s?) Well Made Leather Jacket Co of California CHP Jacket

semolina_pilchard

One of the Regulars
Sadly this horsehide CHP jacket is too small for me :(

It's in good condition, has nice patina throughout, and is a fairly heavy jacket (approx. 3.5kg). I haven't been able to find much out about the brand/maker, but I am guessing it's a 50s jacket. The zipper has been replaced and has been done well.

See photos for condition and measurements.

Price is $250 plus shipping at cost.

image1 (2).jpeg
image0 (2).jpeg
image3 (1).jpeg
image2 (2).jpeg
image5 (1).jpeg
image6 (1).jpeg
image4 (1).jpeg
image7.jpeg

Nacho

Practically Family
I’ve seen a few instances of this label. I believe it was a private label similar to Durable. Here is one.

Wellmade_crosszip_1.jpg

If I have to guess, the one for sale was possibly made by Taubers (I speculate that the one above also was) judging from the triangle patches in the inner pockets and the outer pocket flaps.

Taubers_Crosszip_PurpleLiner_1.jpg

Taubers_Crosszip_PurpleLiner_4.jpg

But idk, this one does have a Block Bilt vibe to it, especially the collar. Taubers’ collar isn’t as refined and pointy as this one. Also, the bottom portion would have a visible snap there and it tends to be a tad larger than the top portion. Another thing is the underarm football. Never seen it in a Taubers before. Lastly, it’s the shape. Taubers crosszip usually has a square/rectangle feel to it. This one has a more tailored, V-shape look.

50s/60s Taubers

Taubers_Crosszip_50sLabel_1.jpg

70s Taubers

Taubers_crosszip_yellow_6.jpg

80s Taubers

Taubers_Crosszip_GreenLiner_1.jpg

Notice the snap at the bottom collar and how bigger it is compared to the top collar. Also how unrefined the collar looks compared to the CHP for sale.

It's a cool jacket nonetheless. Hopefully, Hieu will enjoy it!

Last edited:

Nacho

Practically Family
This Well-made jacket has piqued my interest in the last few days so I've been digging around my Taubers archive. I found this one here. Let's compare it with the Well-made.

Taubers CHP no snap no top pocket_1.jpg

Taubers CHP no snap no top pocket_2.jpg

Turned out that Taubers did have a more refined collar design with the hidden snap at the bottom collar (although the stitching that attaches the collar to the body is different - hidden on Taubers vs exposed on Well-made). They also had the underarm football if you look closely at the right pit (the air vent). Also notice the stitching at the belt panel - two paralell lines in the middle of it. And the belt loops with the brass female cap sitting at the top part.

The only differences between the the two are the snap vs zip cuffs and the extra corduroy lining at the collar. But other than that, the Well-made CHP here looks and feels similar to this Taubers jacket (no picture of the back unfortunately). The differences are probably variations between different patches of production I suppose.

So I'd say that this Well-made CHP could very well be a Taubers after all. I've owned a few Taubers now and I gotta say they're excellent jackets, material- and pattern-wise.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, @semolina_pilchard .

GLWS! :cool:

Last edited:

semolina_pilchard

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the extra info @Nacho - it could well be a Taubers then! Even more disappointing that it doesn't fit me :(

The refined collar is what stood out for me on the Well Made jacket, really cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats