Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: VINTAGE STETSON PLAYBOY NEAR MINT 7 1/2 or 23 in

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Greetings Big-Headed Loungers!

The "Big 3": Stetson Whippet... Stetson Stratoliner...

...and Stetson Playboy!

This Stetson Playboy is superb and I really HATE to see it go. Check out the pix; the lid looks brand new. The flawless felt is a really nice “go-with-everything” light tan (it looks gray in the photos but it’s actually tan) - very soft and pliable. Absolutely no stains or moth damage. The leather sweat is clean and supple. (The slight ripple you see is from the sizing strips I placed behind it)

Specs: Brim is 2 3/8 inches and the crown (unbashed) is about 5 1/2 inches. Distinctive narrow Playboy ribbon is 3/4 inches. Size tag marked 7 1/2, but the internal circumference is 23 inches.

In other words, this fedora is tagged 7 1/2 but it fits like a 7 3/8. I’ve never put a stretcher in it, but I’m sure a gentle stretch will return it to its true size. Bottom line, I believe this lid would work for either head size, but probably better for a 7 3/8 noggin.

The only issue worth mentioning is a few stains on the lining (see photo). From what I understand, these stains came from hair creams that men used back in the 50s (remember Vitalis and Brylcreem?) So unless you wear this Fedora inside-out… it’s going to look brand-spankin’ NEW!

Fedoras in the size and condition RARELY come up for sale. It is virtually UNWORN. If you want to score a lid like this you will have to get really lucky at an estate sale or an eBay Buy It Now or shell out $500 or more at Optimo in Chicago.

But this amazing specimen can be yours for $350, shipping included CONUS.

DSC08636.jpg

DSC08637.jpg

DSC08638.jpg

DSC08639.jpg

DSC08640.jpg

DSC08641.jpg

DSC08642.jpg

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I'm kicking myself because this is as close to a Playboy as I've come to here on the lounge but at 23" it's just too small and I'm not going to stretch a classic like this. I'm right in between a 7 1/2 and 7 5/8 so somewhere between 23 1/2 and 24 fits perfect. I do appreciate the lounger who is looking out for me here though-LOL! I would have missed this one while I was at work if I would not have received the email notification of my pm.

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
I have been informed by my Stetson Playboy (with help from Randooch) that my asking price is too steep. In light of this development, I am now open to offers. Anybody interested?

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a tough call even Steven ,you might get more the eBay way, but you also might get less. Nice hat just the same. Good luck selling it.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
That's a beautiful hat, but I fear it would feel too tight on my melon. I bet you could clear 300 easily on Ebay, or even Etsy. Are you dead-set against doing a listing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany