Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full-brimmed brown Dobbs 20 in 7 5/8!

MattJH

One Too Many
The auction. Not listed so well, but I'm not complaining! Much more detailed photographs when it comes in. Can anyone tell the date by the photos included below? Just in case the auction photographs are removed, here it is:

dobbs20-01.jpg

dobbs20-02.jpg

nulty

One of the Regulars
I dunno.......judging by the sweat I'd say early 1950's but the liner and emblem look later to me......

Nice hat though.. a good brush and TLC and I'll bet it will come out nicely......

MattJH

One Too Many
Received it, finally! It's great. Brim is 2 3/4" and the crown is a full 6", assuming I measured the crown properly, which sounds more proportionate to what a lot of people here seem to be looking for. The felt equals the softest I already own; a Herbert Johnson. Fits perfectly. The only problem is that there are two small "wet"-marks, so to speak -- some sort of liquid-based stain. I'd love to get it out without sending it for expensive cleaning, but I have no idea where to start. Thoughts?

01-dobbs20-front.jpg

The front. The ribbon has a slight burgundy tint to it.

02-dobbs20-top.jpg

My usual sloppy shaping.

03-dobbs20-side1.jpg

Left side. The wind trolley is elastic.

04-dobbs20-side2.jpg

Right side. Stain side.

05-dobbs20-stain.jpg

Here's a close-up of them.

06-dobbs20-brim.jpg

Close-up of the Guild edge.

07-dobbs20-lining.jpg

The lining. Anybody feel like trying to date this one?

08-dobbs20-bow.jpg

The bow with the missing 7 5/8 size tag.

09-dobbs20-sweat.jpg

The marks - Twenty and Guild.

10-dobbs20-me.jpg

Dork.

MattJH

One Too Many
Not that anyone asked, but this one has officially become a beater, and it's really, really good at being one. The stains won't come out and I'm not going to pay to have it professionally cleaned, so what better use is there? It definitely has Federation proportions (save the dimensional brim cut), but it's much softer and easier to maul and mangle. If it weren't for the stains! Oh well.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat Dumbjaw. :)

It does look good even with the stains.

Should you decide it's too much trouble to have around, please let me know. :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Dumbjaw, Have you tried fine sand paper on those stains? If they are on the surface, it could do the trick. (The hat makers use sand paper on our hats,
as a routine part off manufacture.)

MattJH

One Too Many
I took this to South Street Hats in Philadelphia last week (brag: it's a 7 block walk from my apartment!) for a clean, reblock, and stretch, and they did a great job! This is the only hat I own where I would call the felt luxurious. All the guys at the shop were fawning over it. It was cool. The hat is a hit. Anyway, check out their nice work. You can't really tell the major differences from the photographs, but it's much nicer and it actually fits now. It had shrunken over the years and I never had much of a chance to wear it.

10-reblocked1.jpg

11-reblocked2.jpg

12-reblocked3.jpg

13-reblocked4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo