Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full grain leather?

Nalazo

Familiar Face
Hi all. I'm curious to see your opinions on this leather jacket.

Roundtree & Yorke
"100% genuine leather"

Given the variations in the leather, could this possibly be full grain?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

1645218087170.png

1645218114503.png

1645218142954.png

58panheadfan

One Too Many
With a little research in this forum you can answer your own question. I've noticed there have been a lot of new members in this forum lately who, without reading or checking out, asking questions which can be answered with a bit of time and effort by yourself. I'm happy to share my knowledge but please do your homework first... thank you!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hi all. I'm curious to see your opinions on this leather jacket.

Roundtree & Yorke
"100% genuine leather"

Given the variations in the leather, could this possibly be full grain?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

View attachment 403292

View attachment 403293

View attachment 403294
I have that exact jacket and i believe it is lambskin. It is quite a departure from most styles seen here but is the most drapey cozy jacket to wear. I love it. Only dislike is all the snaps make it rattle alot.
Ymmv
B

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With a little research in this forum you can answer your own question. I've noticed there have been a lot of new members in this forum lately who, without reading or checking out, asking questions which can be answered with a bit of time and effort by yourself. I'm happy to share my knowledge but please do your homework first... thank you!
I think this is a little harsh.
I too have seen new members lately starting new threads about topics such as leather conditioners and other things that have already been discussed here at great length.
But that is not the case with this thread. This fellow had a question about his jacket. As it turns out it is an easy question to answer and there is no reason he shouldn’t feel welcome asking it here.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've bought something like this before. It was clearance sale on top of regular sale. I wish I took photos. Sadly that jacket was long gone. I stayed away from any jackets that has two piece sleeve since then (visible center seam from the front). I am ok with three piece sleeve with hidden upper center seams at the back of the sleeve, but not like this one.

Nalazo

Familiar Face
I appreciate all of the feedback. I knew it was a shot in the dark. A very long shot haha.

I suppose I liked the style of the jacket and was hoping that the various markings on the leather were some indication that it was something more than it was since I was under the impression that cheap “genuine leather” was more uniform/plastic in appearance. The various striations made it look more natural to me. Perhaps it was just a bad dye job.

I’ve been checking this forum out for awhile now and have always appreciated the wealth of knowledge presented here. Even more than that, I am continually impressed with the civility of the posts here in contrast to the vast majority of online discussions that quickly devolve into nastiness. Thank you guys for always keeping it classy.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I think this is a little harsh.
I too have seen new members lately starting new threads about topics such as leather conditioners and other things that have already been discussed here at great length.
But that is not the case with this thread. This fellow had a question about his jacket. As it turns out it is an easy question to answer and there is no reason he shouldn’t feel welcome asking it here.
It was not my intention not to welcome a new member, of course this fellow is always welcome in this forum. I just wanted to suggest that someone gives a little thought to the content of their question and does a little research before asking a question that is easy to answer.

I suppose I liked the style of the jacket and was hoping that the various markings on the leather were some indication that it was something more than it was since I was under the impression that cheap “genuine leather” was more uniform/plastic in appearance. The various striations made it look more natural to me. Perhaps it was just a bad dye job.

No; Realistic appearance of a full grain leather is more easily faked than you might think, to the point that even makers might have difficulties identifying it as such. Alternatively, flat and shiny and character-less appearing leather might indeed turn out to be a full-grain, uncorrected hide.

Full-grain leather will often be stretched, heated and then coated to achieve the uniform, shiny - Plastic if you will - look. That is a beautiful thing as with wear, in part, it will slowly revert back to its original, grainy form.

On the other hand, heat-pressing machines can stamp an entirely realistic simulation of grain onto a leather panel. Combined with some creative dyeing, the illusion will be so complete you won't ever realize that such a perfectly natural look of your leather garment isn't natural at all.

The jacket you have posted is made of heavily sanded - Artificially distressed, more like it - sheep (or lamb, as abba noted) skin. Abrasement creates an illusion of natural variation, though the original leather properties still do show through thus it isn't actually such a bad looking leather. Just that it isn't a very good one, either.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
It was not my intention not to welcome a new member, of course this fellow is always welcome in this forum. I just wanted to suggest that someone gives a little thought to the content of their question and does a little research before asking a question that is easy to answer.
I was a new member not too long ago and I’m still learning a lot…

I’d say, that without repetitive questions/threads, there wouldn’t be a whole lot to discuss here.

Sure you can do your own research to come up with answers, but isn’t the point of the forum to share our collective experience with others?

Also, sometimes we seek validation from others even if we think we know the answer. I see nothing but upside to the OP, YMMV.

Edward

Bartender
Welcome onboard.

I would concur with the assessment that this looks like a sheep leather. Most likely sheep rather than lamb, if I was betting on it only having seen the pictures. Both are common in the fashion industry as they are very easy leathers with which to work.

The jacket itself as a design would put me in mind of something mid to late eighties. My mother had a ladies' version that had similar stylistic nods to this that was bought around 1989ish. The colour and markings were particularly similar, as I recall - it was sheep leather. In my experience, sheep is as soft as lamb but a touch more robust, and often used in more upmarket pieces than lamb would tend to be.

Nalazo

Familiar Face
Thanks again for the informative responses and also the welcomes. Truth be told, I’m on the hunt for a lighter leather jacket with a pattern that can offer good range of motion. I was about to launch into this topic and hijack my own thread, but I think this subject might deserve it’s own thread. Cheers gents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points