Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Hat Collection Photographs Thread

fmw

One Too Many
All I can say is wow. Fine, fine collections, everyone! I have a humble beginning here-- the only ones not included in this photo are a few ball caps, and a few Target and gas station ones. I suppose there are two derbies that are scheduled to arrive somewhere around the end of the month.
A good family photo has proven quite a difficult task, but here's my best attempt-- enjoy:

The white center dent with the tall crown and cream colored ribbon is an absolute knockout. One of the nicest looking hats I've ever seen. I couldn't figure out from your legend what it is but it is spectacular.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. It is certainly an excellent hat in every sense of the word.

thanks, fmw and 150719541! Neo is correct-- it's the BB classic 5x-- the color isn't actually marked anywhere on the hat. It could be silverbelly, or perhaps sand? it was one of my first Ebay purchases and came with a pristine open crown, but the felt was too soft to support it, so it became a center crease. I've been consistently impressed with BB's lustrous ribbbons.

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Here's a shot of a major portion of my hats. Nothing rare or expensive. Just what a FL beginner wears. I didn't include the caps or the cowboy hats. Left to right.

Front row - Stetson Avenue Milan braid, Stetson Sturgis, Akubra Cattleman, Akubra Flinders

Second Row - Buckaroo custom, Stetson Panama fedora, Resistol pork pie, vintage homburg

Third Row - Stetson Open Road, Stetson Panama safari, Stetson Whippet, Stetson Whippet

Fourth Row - Akubra Titan, cheap sisal gambler, Dobbs Beechwood, Tilley Sun Hat

hats.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great collection! If that's what an FL beginner has, then I'm even less than a neophyte! :eeek:

The two whippets, the Cattleman, the Buckaroo Hatters custom and the vintage homburg really stood out to me...you've got some great hats!

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks. The Buckaroo is my favorite and the Open Road is next in line. After that I'm partial to the two Akubras in the lower right. Then I suppose the Whippets. So I guess your tastes and mine aren't too far apart.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Here I am wearing my full hat collection. It can't get any bigger, or else this will get really difficult.
Photo85.jpg

P.S. I don't technically own the tricorn, but I don't know the guy who I borrowed it from, and I haven't been keeping up with the friend who did know him.

DRB

One Too Many
fmw: I would rate it: Buckaroo custom then cattleman, then open road. Either way, you have a very nice collection. Thanks for sharing.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Cheapskate's Hat Collection

Here's my collection, assembled over about 28 months and on a shoestring budget. Hat prices range from $2.40 to $44.00 and are arranged in the order I got them.

Hatcollection.JPG

Front row:
- (missing, left at home for safety) Vintage Biol fedora, bought from South Korea by my uncle for my grandfather. Short brim & gray houndstooth felt.
Dockers stingy brim. My own first hat, but now the brim is a bit short for my tastes.
- "Vintage Stone" polyester fedora. A bit too hipster for my tastes today, but it was a bargain.
- Dockers wool felt fedora. Cost me $6 and change at Kohl's. Still a favorite.
- Home-built peaked cap, decorated for the Rockhill Trolley Museum. Made in October 2009, and still intact. Because of the nature of trolley volunteer work, this is my most abused hat.
- Weatherproof cloth fedora. A favorite for mild spring days.

Top Row:
- (missing) Cheap ($9 at K-Mart) wide-brim straw hat, damaged and left behind in the Pittsburgh area.
- Livity Outernational raffia straw hat. A wonderful little $25 hat bought from a Wegmans grocery store. These come in some outrageous colors.
- Stetson Airway, with the chin strap removed. I swear this lid has air conditioning.
- Dockers flat cap. My chosen hat for non-uniform trolley museum work, but it's remarkably still quite clean. This wins the cheapskate award at a bank-busting $2.40. I even keep the price tag behind the sweatband as proof.
- Apt. 9 wool flat cap. Hardly ever worn, but very warm in the winter.
- Henschel Hat Co. leather-looking felt fedora. My second-favorite, with a home-made hat pin consisting of three leaves.
- (Missing, in pieces awaiting rebuilding) Older, but probably not vintage, JC Penney gray felt fedora, bought in bad condition at a thrift shop as a hat rebuilding experiment. At least it has a nice gold liner.

<edit>
Hatcollectionaddition.JPG

- Unknown maker's felt wide-brim fedora with leather "ribbon." My parents tell me they found this at a store they go to for chainsaw repairs. :confused: It's my hat of choice for rainy days, and the brim has bent on a sharper angle after getting soaked through and air-drying a few times. I even blow-dried this hat once after a long walk home in a downpour. I got this between the "Vintage Stone" and the Dockers houndstooth hats.
<end edit>

And finally, my favorite...
NewHat_03-18-11_img1.JPG

- Henschel Hat Co. Indy Outback in brown. It has all the features I associate with vintage hats, but was only $37. I positively adore this hat.

So, that's my collection. It's my best effort without visiting any major hat shops or spending large amounts of money. I hope you like them!

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
fmw: I would rate it: Buckaroo custom then cattleman, then open road. Either way, you have a very nice collection. Thanks for sharing.

Ah, a man with similar tastes to mine. Thanks, Dennis.

fmw

One Too Many
Good job, Swing. I remember your post about the home built motorman's cap. Outstanding.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
TTO: seriously coveting that grey one, even though I like my light-grey Dobbs. The third hat I bought is a cheap imitation of what you've got, a bluish grey.

Swing Motorman: way to go on the green Indy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner