Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fully reconditioned 1938 sportscar windfall!!! (April 1st)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I JUST cannot contain myself any longer. This summer is going to be the BEST EVER!! Some of you will already know that in my spare time I have been helping out an elderly neighbour over the past few years with shopping, mowing the lawn and general DIY tasks around the house - nothing major! Well Mr Fairly (a former operational fighter pilot in the RAF during WWII) had a secret that I was just not aware of, as he has a lock-up garage about a mile away from where he lives. He was well aware of my fondness for vintage things (and also in WWII..etc). Last week, when I was over doing a few bits and pieces for him around the house, his daughter Sally arrived and they both said they'd like a word with me. Well you know when people say 'that' to you, you immediately think the 'worst!!' (I was thinking, 'what have I done wrong, or said out of turn...? ...etc).
Mr Fairly and Sally sat me down and said that they were both very grateful for all the help I gave over the past few years, and taken not a penny for it. Could they ask one more favour from me, as it would really help them out, and if I had an hour spare the next day they'd like to show me.
Next day, I arrived at the house, jumped in their car and they ferried me to this old lock-up. When the up-and-over door opened I saw what looked like a car under tarpaulin. The lights flicked on, the tarpaulin came off, and THIS is what was before me!!! I NEEDED to pinch myself!!

car_pop01.jpg

They wanted me to be the new custodian/owner of this 1938 Delahaye 135 MS which Mr Fairly had owned from new. Fully serviced and reconditioned engine, it is like new. When I eventually came down to earth and said that I couldn't afford such a piece of art, they said that they didn't want any money for it, but a good home where it would be looked after and appreciated. If I wanted to make a donation to a charity then that would be fine, but they wanted me to have it as a gift and a thankyou..!
I'm off to get it in an hour!! and dressed to the nines in a 30's suit and fedora!!!! THIS JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN in real life guys!!! I'm scared I'm about to waken up...:eek:

MORE pics to follow in the next day or two...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Paddy

Congratulations. As I have said before, good things come to those who do good things. That's a fabulous car.

I'm still looking for a good home for my (less fabulous) 1937 Ford!

Pip

A-List Customer
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow!!!

A hearty conratulations is in order, Paddy!

Look forward to those photos.

I hope this isn't a cruel joke from you though, considering the nature of the date ;)

Flivver

Practically Family
Congratulations Paddy!

I think that may be the most beautiful car I've ever seen!

I can't wait to see more pictures...hopefully one with you behind the wheel.

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
I love the "Fairly Sally" bit ;)

...and am now curious to see how the car looks like when you woke up on 2nd of April :D

Cheers,
Tom

duggap

Banned
And who was it that said a good deed never goes unpunished. Congradulations on your windfall, but more so, thanks for being a good neighbor. I hope when my age gets that high someone like yourself will come along to help me.:eusa_clap

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Smiling days

That automobile is gorgeous. The paint scheme is quite striking; it complements the body and windows nicely. It's pleasing to see someone be rewarded for doing good things and to know that a marvelous artifact will be handed along to a worthy steward.

In retrospect: Oh, how credulous I've been, although in fairness, I didn't and still do not quite see 'the joke'

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Interesting that "Ross & Harry" have a private photo bucket account that can not be viewed....;)

Although, digging in a little more, that appears to be Paddys photobucket account... I found a briefcase and a pair of pants linked back to it and Paddy. Damn nice briefcase I must say too!

Well,I gotta run... the BS is bit thick today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart