Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral arrangements

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok so what are your wishes when that time comes? Cremation? Standard casket? Neptune Society ashes at sea? Wanna have your ashes kept on the mantle or spread somewhere?

I'm opting for cremation and have one of my daughters spread half from atop the Mayan pyramid at Palenque Mexico and the other daughter gets to dump the rest over Wild Bill Hickok's gravesite in Deadwood S.D.
Nodding.gif

BegintheBeguine

Let someone else benefit and save my family money

Thanks for asking. I am donating my carcass to the University of Rochester Medical Center to use as they see fit. The funeral home up the street will take care of the delivery for a very affordable fee. After a few years whoever cares to can pick up the ashes and display them in an urn on the mantelpiece underneath my portrait. That is, if I am still living here when I kick it. Whatever, my driver's license has the donor box marked. (I just went through this with my dad in September; when they present me with his ashes in a couple years I am going to scatter them as he wished, in Camp Glisson, Georgia.)
After my memorial service? A wild party, I hope.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I am really into genealogy and I am always walking thru cemeteries looking for lost ancestors. I want the usual casket burial, and a nice headstone that gives out a lot of information on the backside, such as-- daughter of Catherine, mother of Caiden, etc. I want future generations of family to be able to find my stone, and learn more about me. I wish I had the money to buy a large family plot (the nice iron gate fenced off kind) and have my whole darn family buried there. It is soooo much easier finding ancestors that way!!!

S

Samsa

I haven't really thought about the "last things." (Probably because I'm 24, and at this age I still feel more or less immortal.) I tend to think that my family and loved ones should be able to do with me whatever they wish to after I die. The funeral etc. should be about what they want, and what will help them cope. I guess I'm indifferent.[huh]

GOK

One Too Many
We have a family plot and my grandmother was outraged when I told her that I didn't want to avail myself of it! I pointed out that she was unlikely to know one way or the other, so little point in getting upset about it!

I intend to let the docs have whatever organs they can use and the rest of me can be cut up, poked around, plasticised, put on display...whatever. I don't really care. I shall leave my shell to medical science to do with as they see fit. I won't need it anymore, my family and friends won't need it, so why bother going to all the expense of bunging me in a hole in the ground or taking an outlandish trip to scatter my ashes in a random place of my choosing? I'd far rather they saved their money and did something practical with it. [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I want as little money spent as possible, and I dont want any kind of an organized service or ceremony. Just take my ashes and bury them around the base of my favorite rosebush -- no muss, no fuss, no bother. I wont be in any position to worry about it, and I dont want anyone else to.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I carry a doner card but I'm short sighted, I used to have severe jaundice (so I can't donate blood), and by the time I'm finished with my lungs and liver I doubt anyone will want them!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Pine box is fine with me, but I do want a decent headstone with a fairly deeply carved inscription so my ancestors can find me for genealogical purposes.

You have no idea how handy a simple tombstone can be when doing family research until you really need one.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm an organ donor, because that stuff saves lives. However, I want whatever they're not using returned, and buried in a Jewish cemetary in a simple casket.

No medical science, no decorative lacquering, and NO CREMATION OR I'M COMING BACK AS A POLTERGEIST. [bad]

I'd like the stone to be a real stone, not a brass plaque set in the ground, and for it to have my entire name, and my entire Hebrew name on it as well as the dates.

I'd like to be buried without them filling me full of formdelehyde or whatever. Jewish funerals are supposed to be within a day or two of death anyhow, I don't want to be pickled first.

I like when they plant trees on the graves but most cemetaries around here don't let you do that anymore. Little notes on the stone like 'Went down with a .45 in each hand' can be applied as appropriate, but they're not required.

-Viola

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, this is a fun topic.

I want to be an organ donor, if anyone wants my innards or eyes.

Also want to be cremated and have a dear friend take a portion of those ashes, mix them with my dog's ashes and a bird feather, and toss them in the desert in or around Momument Valley. I don't care what she does with the rest of the ashes, just let me and my pets blow in the breeze.

No funeral, no service. If someone needs closure, they can have a beer party in my honor. And play classic John Lennon -- Let It Be and Imagine.

karol

PS A Tibetan air burial would be fine, too, but hardly practical and very illegal here, I'm afraid.... kdl

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Ideally I want to be buried at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge MA (http://www.mountauburn.org/).

It's a beautiful place; part botanical garden, part historic site with marvelous 19th and 20th century funerary sculpture. I also love that is frequented by people who live nearby so it has the feeling of a respectful park rather than that creepy, deserted feeling so many graveyards have.

A spot doesn't come cheap though -- $20k a plot for "in ground burial". I could be cremated and go cheaper but ideally I'd like a gravestone.

Hmm, have I thought about this too much?!

Also, no open casket. Though I know it helps some folks to see the body I can't help but think the practice is amazingly strange.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Cremation and Burial seem rather boring to me...

I'd like my corpse to be stripped down to the bone, perhaps by Carrion Beetles, and my skeleton kept as family heirloom. To be taken out on Halloween, or whenever else the situation calls for me.

Hondo

One Too Many
I got donors card, take what you need, the rest of my ashes can then go to the pacific :) Heaven for bid, I end up like Veronica Lakes ashes, what a shame to a beautiful person and her career :(

carebear

Hollow me out like a canoe for usable parts and do whatever's cheapest with the rest.

I'm toying with asking to be buried in Arlington. Most of the family is on the East Coast and it'd make me easier to find. Also I'd be in good company until the end of time.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Egyptian Funeral.

My ultimate dream funeral would definitely have to be Egyptian style. A top notch mummification job with all the trimmings. Lots of mourners and plenty of stuff for a cozy afterlife. Seal my sarcophagus in a nice tomb in a mountainside somewhere and I will await the resurrection.
If not then maybe just freeze me in liquid nitrogen like Walt Disney and I will await the cure for whatever it was that whacked me.
Whichever is cheapest.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
Also, no open casket. Though I know it helps some folks to see the body I can't help but think the practice is amazingly strange.

I'm with ya on that. The whole idea just always creeped me out. I just can't do it, even if it's traditional or whatever. I would much rather remember a loved one as they were when alive. A picture is fine.

undertaker

Practically Family
Please......

This thread makes my career look less than promisinglol lol lol .

I told my wife to bury me in what ever they let her have wholesale and to plant me on the backside of our little farm in an area that I hope to set aside for a Family Cemetery. However when the time comes she can do whatever she and the children need, all of the Funeral practices are really for the living anyway.

Regards,
J.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner