Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral Attire...

davestlouis

Practically Family
People dressed inappropriately is bad enough, but the poor manners we see among families who use our firm are alarming...people carrying cans of Red Bull into the chapel for services, kegs of beer in the back of trucks in the parking lot, kids running loose in the building and taking the elevator up and down, up and down, up and down. It's maddening.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
When we buried the Colonel, (my grandfather), it was -40C. My cousins wore hose and knee length skirts, even to the graveside service. As it was a military funeral (full honour guard, although I, currently a civilian, played the Last Post and wore a black suit and overcoat) everybody was all dressed up.

My dad wore his black trenchcoat, probably dating from the 50s. It's got a small tear, but the day was about honouring a war hero and a man who built his community.

The only exception was my second cousin who showed up, told jokes and started telling stories about how the Colonel fired him from his job as a newsboy. Some people don't grasp the sobriety of a funeral.

Almost everybody who attended the church service wore church or business attire. My dad wore a pinstripe suit, but he rarely wears suits and my black suits were too big for him. We're exactly the same size, but I'm 4 inches taller.

Thomas

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Canadian said:
When we buried the Colonel, (my grandfather), it was -40C. My cousins wore hose and knee length skirts, even to the graveside service. As it was a military funeral (full honour guard, although I, currently a civilian, played the Last Post and wore a black suit and overcoat) everybody was all dressed up.

My dad wore his black trenchcoat, probably dating from the 50s. It's got a small tear, but the day was about honouring a war hero and a man who built his community.

The only exception was my second cousin who showed up, told jokes and started telling stories about how the Colonel fired him from his job as a newsboy. Some people don't grasp the sobriety of a funeral.

Almost everybody who attended the church service wore church or business attire. My dad wore a pinstripe suit, but he rarely wears suits and my black suits were too big for him. We're exactly the same size, but I'm 4 inches taller.

Thomas

That's actually very nice and respectful.

Last week I went to a home service in memory of a friend's relative whom I've never met and who passed away in another state. I was the only person wearing black. Everyone was nicely dressed, but I'm always surprised that I'm the only person wearing black.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I was taught that for not-direct-family to wear a somber or soft grayish colour but NOT black? [huh]

The thought was to look dressed and nice and respectful but not like the widow or something. To avoid being theatrical.

Vintage Betty

Viola said:
I was taught that for not-direct-family to wear a somber or soft grayish colour but NOT black? [huh]

The thought was to look dressed and nice and respectful but not like the widow or something. To avoid being theatrical.

Very interesting...never heard that before. Or, maybe I'm just clueless. [huh]

Mike in Seattle

davestlouis said:
People dressed inappropriately is bad enough, but the poor manners we see among families who use our firm are alarming...people carrying cans of Red Bull into the chapel for services, kegs of beer in the back of trucks in the parking lot, kids running loose in the building and taking the elevator up and down, up and down, up and down. It's maddening.

I'd take those experiences as an opportunity to gently educate -
"Excuse me, but refreshments aren't allowed in the chapel."
"Excuse me, but we don't have a liquor license and serving beer in public is against local ordanances."
"Excuse me, but I'll need $1 each admission price for each elevator ride."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart