Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Furniture Mojo...

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Okay, so i dropped in to the vintage store in my local mall today on a quest for one more hat/purse/pair of gloves I don't need, and right in the front- a six-piece waterfall bedroom set for $575!!:eek: With red Bakelite drawer pulls!!:eek: :eek:
I can not afford it right at the moment; I need to wait for the old tax return to come through. However, the owner is giving me a call tomorrow to discuss putting a deposit down on it and letting me pay it off.
Soooo..... what I'm actually looking for is some crossed fingers and good vibes.
Wish me luck!
Please!!

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Of course.
I'll also try and get a few of the annoyed look my boyfriend will have by around the third trip up three flights of stairs with me yelling small(but obviously necessary) directions at him...:D
Thanks!

D

DeaconKC

Good luck to you! Promise your boyfriend a back rub when you're done moving! We are all like cats when it comes to back rubs!

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I went to put the down payment on it today, and found something interesting. The bottom drawer of the high dresser is not really a drawer- it's a cedar chest. When you open it up, instead of being open, it has a lid. The lid opens to reveal the inside of the drawer, which is definitely cedar- it still smells! I have neither seen nor heard of this before. Very cool. Can't wait!
DeaconKC said:
Promise your boyfriend a back rub when you're done moving! We are all like cats when it comes to back rubs!
That deal was made in advance.:D Seriously, you guys will sit all day long for that...
Thanks!

Warbaby

One Too Many
My parents had a bedroom set that they bought new in 1941. The wardrobe had two drawers on the bottom and both were cedar with tight-fitting lids. Haven't seen drawers like that since.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
The woman at the store said that I could use it for my "cashmere sweaters". Of course- I have dozens of the pesky things lying around...
Warbaby said:
My parents had a bedroom set that they bought new in 1941. The wardrobe had two drawers on the bottom and both were cedar with tight-fitting lids. Haven't seen drawers like that since.
Interesting. I'm glad someone has seen it before. I guess it's on the unique side! It goes a long way to show how much thought went into the building of furniture then. Now, you're lucky if you find dovetails on a piece and they don't charge you a fortune for it...

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Good luck!

My condolences to whomever has to get that set up three flights of steps. lol

It took 3 people and a crowbar (it got wedged in the landing on my stair case) to get my waterfall front chiffarobe up one flight of steps and we still had a hard time. It was so heavy and hard to manuever.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Yeah, I'm very nervous about the haul upstairs. The stairwells in my building are pretty wide, though, so we have that on our side. It'll be interesting, at least...

Take out ALL the drawers and carry them up seperately: That'll make the dresser much lighter. It's amazing how much weight half a dozen empty drawers can add. (This comes from a former furniture mover.)

Lulu-in-Ny said:
That deal was made in advance.:D Seriously, you guys will sit all day long for that...

Yeah. We're kinda stupid that way. Back rubs are liks Klondike Bars; we'll do anything for one. lol

Lee

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
MrNewportCustom said:
Take out ALL the drawers and carry them up seperately: That'll make the dresser much lighter. It's amazing how much weight half a dozen empty drawers can add. (This comes from a former furniture mover.

Lee
Yeah, my son is on drawer duty. I once made the mistake of thinking it wouldn't be too bad with drawers left in. I was definitively proven wrong...:eek:

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
What a score- can't wait for the pictures!

I have a similar set, and while the highboy has drawers above, it has a pair of cabinet doors on the bottom. I keep my extra blankets in there.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Okay, so it only took a month and a half, but here are the pictures:
The dresser:
Dresser-Mirror.jpg

The high dresser:
HighDresser1.jpg

The cedar drawer in the high dresser:
HighDresser2.jpg

The Vanity:
Vanity2.jpg

The drawer pulls:
DrawerPull.jpg

Thanks for the mojo!

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Thank you!! I was very surprised that it had all the pulls; one was off when I first saw it, but the woman who sold it to me had it.
Now I just need a cedar chest and my life will be complete!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart