Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 Jacket Purchase

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
At the moment I don’t have time to wax poetic about the jacket but I wanted to post some pics. In short, I found a new best friend. Looking forward to reading everyone’s critiques later.

2bcf5eac2df4547c97b29494c85ef869.jpg

d2b1a49816b24872d1525aaa7b0e6420.jpg

afdf32c79ed9861345bf765bcd41b024.jpg

79a6861c9e8feca899d8e351f97381da.jpg

1dd11a5a01754211781205972088c415.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect, Reg. Love it. Broken in and relaxed drape. Lexol is great for goat. I would put another coat of that on in a day or two - not too thick and buff it off- and leave it for a year or two. Damn jacket looks like you've owned it forever and it fits a treat.

Reginald Buckleaf III

New in Town
Perfect, Reg. Love it. Broken in and relaxed drape. Lexol is great for goat. I would put another coat of that on in a day or two - not too thick and buff it off- and leave it for a year or two. Damn jacket looks like you've owned it forever and it fits a treat.

[emoji16] Thank you sir! Noted regarding the Lexol. It’s never done me wrong. I’ve used it on my dress shoes in between polishes for years with great results. I’ve even used it on Shell Cordovan...[emoji2958]....[emoji23]

Michaelp

New in Town
I need some advice / opinions. I’m in the market for my first G-1 jacket. I’m looking at a lightly used Eastman $900, an original USN issued Brill Bros. ($150 needs cuffs replaced), or a new Cockpit 100 Mission ($600). I can’t decide what to do. My budget is $1,000 but the older I get the thriftier I become. For reference, I currently own a Brooks Bros. G-1 inspired jacket (cow hide), an LL Bean A-2 (goat) and an Eastman A-2 (horse).

In theory, I’d love to have another Eastman but I’m having a difficult time with the thought of parting with $900 for a used jacket... In addition, while Eastman is clearly as authentic of a replica as there can be I’m not a huge fan of them sacrificing durability for authenticity (cotton thread, thin knits). I don’t want to feel like I have to baby the thing. I stole my A-2 Eastman for $475 and it ended up being one of the wardrobe jackets used in Catch-22. It was already really distressed and already has quite a few loose threads. That said, I don’t feel the need to baby it. Side note: the smell of that horse hide is glorious.

The thrifty side of me wants to buy the vintage Brill Bros., slam some new knits on the thing and call it a day.

Then there’s the Cockpit 100 Mission G-1. This jacket really intrigues me and I’ve read several glowing reviews. It’s clearly very well made in the USA and the price is very fair in my opinion.

So there are my current three options. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions / pros / cons on each jacket. Also, if you have any other suggestions for other brands please speak up. Thanks in advance.

Michaelp

New in Town
If I were you I go with the Brill Bros. Buy cuffs and waistband on Ebay, they are about $30-40 a set. Find a GOOD leather tailor spend another $125 and you around $300 total with a great G1.

Michaelp

New in Town

Ken Amaro

New in Town
The G-1 is my favorite style jacket and I own about 25, both original and repro.
You can’t beat the look & feel and overall character of an original, but finding one in the right size and in good condition can be difficult. I have an original G-1 that I obtained from a P-3 pilot and it’s a keeper that I’ll never part with. Great history and provenance.
My favorite repro is my Lost Worlds G-1. Beautiful goatskin!
For a mid-range/good quality option Gibson & Barnes or The Cockpit are excellent choices. I own a Cockpit 100-mission G-1 and it’s one of my favorites.
I also have a US Wings G-1 that’s made of bison leather and it’s really nice. That hide is awesome!
Five Star Leather are located in Pakistan but they do make a very good repro G-1 and can customize it any way you like for a low price.

Wedge 417

New in Town
So in 2021? What's the options for buying a good repro G-1.

I have just acquired a vintage pristine Brill Bros G-1. But sadly the size is too big. I thought a vintage size 44 would fit but unfortunately it's way to big for me. I'm on the look out for a size 42 or possibly 40.

In the meantime I'm considering repros. What are your thoughts for a vintage fit trim? I'm not into the baggy or modern cut?

I've heard only good things about G&B but I've also heard they're on the larger and baggy side. Also their G-1 looks a lot darker than the brown issue, is this just bad pictures or is it true?

Thanks in advance

Kevin the Devon

New in Town
I own a Gibson Barnes Raider (a G1 with different pockets?)
It's vegetable tanned leather. Very soft and very good quality leather.

It fits me well but yes baggy/loose on the sides under my arms

Deacon211

One Too Many
Though I have kind of fallen off the G-1 hunt, I think you have some good options for a reasonable price these days.

5 Star leather seems to have a great following and for the price is hard to beat.

AVI leathers is another great choice and the one or two examples posted on here look to be great jackets.

Another good contender is Headwind Mfg. I have one of their earlier examples and it’s a really solid jacket.

Then you have the more well known companies: Aero, ELC, etc which are all solid choices.

I would at least consider the Cockpit 100 Mission jacket. It’s not intended to be a spot on copy, but really captures the spirit of the style.

Lots of choices these days and it’s just a matter of picking your price, your level of historical accuracy, and your preference for stock or bespoke.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Oh, G+B has kind of fallen off the radar these days as they dialed back their jacket sales a bit.

Indeed last I heard G+B had resized their jackets to accommodate a more, ahem, full bodied customer base.

If you don’t like them baggy, you probably don’t want a G+B from the last several years.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, G+B has kind of fallen off the radar these days as they dialed back their jacket sales a bit.

Indeed last I heard G+B had resized their jackets to accommodate a more, ahem, full bodied customer base.

If you don’t like them baggy, you probably don’t want a G+B from the last several years.
Agreed. my first A-2 was a G&B and it was huuuuuuge! I can’t remember when the last time I saw a new Gibson Barnes jacket around here

AlyeskaPilot

New in Town
So in 2021? What's the options for buying a good repro G-1.

I have just acquired a vintage pristine Brill Bros G-1. But sadly the size is too big. I thought a vintage size 44 would fit but unfortunately it's way to big for me. I'm on the look out for a size 42 or possibly 40.

In the meantime I'm considering repros. What are your thoughts for a vintage fit trim? I'm not into the baggy or modern cut?

I've heard only good things about G&B but I've also heard they're on the larger and baggy side. Also their G-1 looks a lot darker than the brown issue, is this just bad pictures or is it true?

Thanks in advance

I JUST got myself a Cockpit G1 (the plain milspec one) and I have to say, I am VERY impressed. Its true to size, trim fitting, and just looks great. The goatskin is very nice, the real sheep mouton collar is great. I tried to mess around with vintage jackets on ebay and after buying 3 that just didnt fit me right or were in poor condition I gave up and just got the Cockpit. I cant imagine paying more for a more high end repro. I found the Cockpit for less than $500 online, a very fair price in my opinion. Its the perfect repro G1 in my opinion.

Fireflame

One of the Regulars
The G-1 is my favorite style jacket and I own about 25, both original and repro.
You can’t beat the look & feel and overall character of an original, but finding one in the right size and in good condition can be difficult. I have an original G-1 that I obtained from a P-3 pilot and it’s a keeper that I’ll never part with. Great history and provenance.
My favorite repro is my Lost Worlds G-1. Beautiful goatskin!
For a mid-range/good quality option Gibson & Barnes or The Cockpit are excellent choices. I own a Cockpit 100-mission G-1 and it’s one of my favorites.
I also have a US Wings G-1 that’s made of bison leather and it’s really nice. That hide is awesome!
Five Star Leather are located in Pakistan but they do make a very good repro G-1 and can customize it any way you like for a low price.
Must be an amazing collection. Would love to see it. I’ve only had one and had to sell it years ago because I outgrew it. Still looking for a special one to replace it with

AlyeskaPilot

New in Town
I JUST got myself a Cockpit G1 (the plain milspec one) and I have to say, I am VERY impressed. Its true to size, trim fitting, and just looks great. The goatskin is very nice, the real sheep mouton collar is great. I tried to mess around with vintage jackets on ebay and after buying 3 that just didnt fit me right or were in poor condition I gave up and just got the Cockpit. I cant imagine paying more for a more high end repro. I found the Cockpit for less than $500 online, a very fair price in my opinion. Its the perfect repro G1 in my opinion.

Attachments

• 31274F24-5683-42B0-BE5C-25713F3E167B.jpeg
    31274F24-5683-42B0-BE5C-25713F3E167B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 313
  • CB813E03-3169-4C8C-A0BE-61010382CA96.jpeg
    CB813E03-3169-4C8C-A0BE-61010382CA96.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 379
  • 2033CE87-5F43-4A53-A76C-F7B1136B2C3F.jpeg
    2033CE87-5F43-4A53-A76C-F7B1136B2C3F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 309

Forum statistics

Threads