Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1, USA Made, $175

Deacon211

One Too Many
Ahhhhhh, I had missed the fact that it was a USCG G-1!

Just ran through the search function and saw that was the case and the other poster who had the same long sleeve issue, which is interesting. Most of my G-1s have pretty good sleeves except for the original W+G 41 which is admittedly a bit big on me in general.

I wonder if USW just makes their sleeves a little too long.

So, having the product in question, what is your opinion of the jacket? You've had a couple although I can't remember if you had a Cockpit. If you are ordering the Pharr, I'd be interested in your comparison between the two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Ahhhhhh, I had missed the fact that it was a USCG G-1!

Just ran through the search function and saw that was the case and the other poster who had the same long sleeve issue, which is interesting. Most of my G-1s have pretty good sleeves except for the original W+G 41 which is admittedly a bit big on me in general.

I wonder if USW just makes their sleeves a little too long.

So, having the product in question, what is your opinion of the jacket? You've had a couple although I can't remember if you had a Cockpit. If you are ordering the Pharr, I'd be interested in your comparison between the two.

The USW G-1 is a SUPERB jacket. On par with my G&B. Super soft goatskin, great collar...and it is heavy!

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks for the review. That sounds like it's substantially better than the Pharr. Are you still looking to order one as a beater?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Ah, I'm getting my threads out of order. I thought you were still considering the Pharr post-Alpha.

I must admit to thinking, "Holy cow! How many beaters does Tx need?" ;)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Ah, I'm getting my threads out of order. I thought you were still considering the Pharr post-Alpha.

I must admit to thinking, "Holy cow! How many beaters does Tx need?" ;)

Actually, the Alpha is kinda nice for a beater. Got a couple old Wilsons Leather jackets that fill that roll pretty good. Wad 'em up, pack 'em in whatever, and throw them on.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Oh, the Alpha looks like a nice jacket. I just mention it because you said you were looking for a "beater" in the Alpha thread.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Oh, the Alpha looks like a nice jacket. I just mention it because you said you were looking for a "beater" in the Alpha thread.

Problem is looking for a "beater", but that jacket is in a class that would preclude me from treating it like a "beater"...Ha!

Marv

A-List Customer
From what's been said, it sounds like the USW USCG G1 (Jesus, how many acronyms :)) is a winner and much nicer than the PHAAR to which San Diego Leathers mentioned that they had altered (not sure by themselves) some of the G1s to have hand warmer pockets as an additional option.

However I must admit, having worn the PHAAR for the past few days I can probably say that apart from my original 1950s L W Foster Sportswear G1, this is the most comfortable G1 that I own and that's saying something when my stable includes ELC and BK.....who knew [huh]

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
From what's been said, it sounds like the USW USCG G1 (Jesus, how many acronyms :)) is a winner and much nicer than the PHAAR to which San Diego Leathers mentioned that they had altered (not sure by themselves) some of the G1s to have hand warmer pockets as an additional option.

However I must admit, having worn the PHAAR for the past few days I can probably say that apart from my original 1950s L W Sportswear G1, this is the most comfortable G1 that I own and that's saying something when my stable includes ELC and BK.....who knew [huh]

Yeah, this has become my "beater" for doing things I would not do in my ELC.

Just out of curiosity, what makes it particularly comfortable in your eyes? Mine is a little large for me, which makes it roomy. I don't think that makes it look so great on me, but it is easy to move in.

Marv

A-List Customer
The cowhide is pretty soft and subtle (probably due to the rubbery coating, I heard somewhere that the leather is treated with a flame retardant which gives it this type of feel - not sure if that is true or not) which gives an ease of movement.

The body of the jacket seems to be a perfect fit for my shape, not too tight or too baggy only issue is with the sleeve length being about an inch too long but this is more than likely down to the fact that the jacket is a size 48 where as I usually wear a size 46.

Due to the leather finish, I am not expecting it to break in very much at all especially on the sleeves so I don't expect any creasing that forms will reduce the sleeve length significantly so I will either have to have them altered or live with it.

The second option is more likely as I am not prepared to spend a great deal on a beater and to be honest I am not that bothered, I will change the zipper slider and replace this with the paper clip style and that will be it.

I will not be pulling any punches with this jacket (like I do with my other G1s) and it will be basically be used and abused in true beater fashion to which I think it will hold up nicely :)

Deacon211

One Too Many
That's interesting if the jacket had been treated with a flame retardant but they never told us that. On the other hand, as Treetopflyer had once pointed out, it's not expressly forbidden to fly in your leather jacket which I always thought was interesting since, as a pilot, you are otherwise completely enclosed in Nomex except for your head.

Yep, the pics above shows how it will age in ten years with moderate abuse....not much. But, for a rough and tumble jacket, including one that can be worn pretty reliably in the rain (something not to be said for those Nomex sponges we were given) you could do far worse!

Wear it in good health!

Marv

A-List Customer
well that's my alterations complete on the jacket, San Diego Leathers label removed (you can see the stitch marks from where the contract and DSCP labels were previously) and the chunky YKK zipper slider removed and replaced with the Paper Clip style slider/puller successfully, not a bad job considering I have never done this before.

Jacket looks good, will post some pics over the holiday weekend if I get chance, Happy Easter all.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I don't know how the Cockpit line aged over time. I had purchased one way back in 1990 when I thought to make it my "cruise jacket" and festoon it with all the patches I would one day acquire. Unfortunately, an ex-girlfriend acquired it. But it was a great, solid jacket; better than my issued piece.

But when I went to the Pensacola museum a few years ago, the Cockpit jackets they sold there (in my day, they sold Coopers in the Exchange) were kind of over-processed...spongy and a bit limp.

As I wrote before, I don't know if they were selling a downgraded copy of the G-1 to tourists, but the jacket was just not as nice as the old one I had had.

Actually, as I just got back from the Museum last week, I had my wife take a few shots of the Museum G-1s...

1baf567ce1885e34e93c88593bf5923a.jpg

282cecadab2b76625a086c77cfdcbd27.jpg

As you can see, not a bad looking cut. The only thing I was disappointed in was the finish of the leather.

Now, when I was there a year or two ago, I had stopped in the Flight Gear Issue shop, just to chat with the coveted jacket hander-outters as it were and they were still handing out Pharrs. Of course, my walrus behinded 48 was probably not the most popular size, so there are probably a mix of Pharrs and whoever took over the contract as the old stock thins out.

Is that a Cockpit USA G-1? The fit looks to be spot on! Are they cut small? As I wear a 40R, would their 40R fit me?

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
Here are the after photos.....

Minus the San Diego Leathers label, stitch marks from Contract and DSCP previously removed labels

Chunky YKK zipper slider removed and replaced with the Paper Clip style slider/puller

Deacon211

One Too Many
Is that a Cockpit USA G-1? The fit looks to be spot on! Are they cut small? As I wear a 40R, would their 40R fit me?

Unfortunately I can't remember if this was a 46, which would be true to size or a 48. I want to say 46 which would mean that it is cut pretty well to size.

Jim B.

New in Town
I'm new here and found this forum while trying to find a new real military G-1. I have a Excelled G-1 from leathercoatsetc . It is the embossed cow and the grain looks just like real nice goat. An impression must have been taken from goat to make the embossing tooling. But it also has a rubbery finish that is squeaky and it is HEAVY and does not drape well. The fit looks military but measurments say it is slightly bigger than specs. This Phaar jacket embossed pattern looks like what is used on a football or basketball. I have seen it before on PX G-1 jackets in the very early 70's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner