Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1's for uniform wear

Papa M

A-List Customer
Atticus Finch said:
I have been collecting G-1s for quite some time now, but I've never seen one made of naugahide. I think federal statutes require the government to purchase only products made in the USA, and I'm pretty sure that naugas aren't indiginious to North America.

My chair is upholstered in real Naugahyde
When they killed that Nauga, I sat down and cried!;)

ukali1066

Practically Family
Hi mate, welcome...I'm envious of your Colorado mountain life...lovely place

Try and snag a good condition 1970's G-1 on ebay....and become the sharpest looking pilot on the base :)

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Raising naugas for mil spec jackets

All this talk on naugahyde got me thinking about starting a naugahyde farm here in DE. So I did some research and found that naugas have a long history of serving their country.

naugahis5.gif
[/IMG]

http://www.naugahyde.com/history.html

JimWagner

Practically Family
Check out http://www.popsleather.com/ I don't have direct experience with them, but this is where I'd consider for a top end tailored to me G-1.

Luckily my Cooper G-1 doesn't have any of the problems yours does, so it's good enough for me :) And frankly, it's better than the one I was issued in 1967. Possibly because I bought it from Cooper in the early 90's before they went out of business and it wasn't a government issue - just made by them to contract specs for the consumer market.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
ISeriously, though, I believe that seventies-era G-1s were cowhide leather sprayed with a finsh that caused the jacket to squeak like pleather or naugahide. The seventies Imperial Leather G-1s were the worst. They were heavy and stiff and when you wore one, you sounded like a walking flock of seagulls.

This is a 1976 Imperial Leather squeaky-cow G-1.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/g-1/Navy Leather/DSCN0507-1.jpg

AF

I think I have the same one:

img2687f.jpg

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Pop's leather

I bought several jackets from pop's while in Turkey. They are great jackets and very skilled but they are a tad off from mil spec. The most obvious differences are seam placement and collar material. Not that it is bad just different. I would go for Flight Suits. Right now I am looking at their F-82/ANJ-3 or their mil spec G-1. Just trying to decide on which one. AlanC good fit on that Imperial BTW ;)

bbc1969

Familiar Face
sfdistance said:
Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on getting rid of my issued jacket. I actually feel comfortable wearing the Cooper I bought in uniform because its exactly the same specs, but the problem is it just doesn't quite fit right... just slightly too small. It seems like there's nothing but good reviews on G&B. I'll definitely keep that in mind for my next jacket.

I recently purchased a G & B "issue spec" G-1 or whatever they call it on the website. Great quality and build. Seems to be spot on with other issued jackets I have seen. Only be warned they run slightly big. As an example I usually take a 50 due to binding and fit in my arm and shoulder area. Their 48 fits exactly right.

sfdistance

New in Town
More praise for Gibson & Barnes

Does anyone know if Gibson and Barnes will do any custom work on their jackets? The one thing I really notice that's different about their Navy G-1 is the pocket flaps aren't flat. Other than that everything seems to be the same. I know that they are a company that has plenty of experience dealing with military customers. Their custom flight suits are all over the fleet and are also popular with several gov't contract companies.

kampkatz

Practically Family
As I recall, we were told that the naugahyde was manufactured in Connecticut. It was lighter than leather(and apparently cheaper). The jackets did not have the fragrance of leather tanned hides. I have no reason to believe the Navy was trying to deceive us unless they thought that if we believed the jackets were not real leather we would be less inclined to try to sneak them out upon discharge from the Navy. I had no particular attachment to the jacket.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Welcome to the forum and thanks for serving our country. :)

I too have a young infant (4 months) and you're absolutely right... parenthood is definitely a wonderful thing. I used to live in Colorado as well (Englewood)... where do/did you live in Colorado?

While we're on this topic of G-1's, I have a question and please forgive my ignorance on this subject... I've heard members here mention G-1, A-2, etc. So G-1 is a style of leather jacket issued to all sectors of the U.S. military (army, navy, air force and marines)? What about A-2?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
sfdistance said:
Does anyone know if Gibson and Barnes will do any custom work on their jackets? The one thing I really notice that's different about their Navy G-1 is the pocket flaps aren't flat. Other than that everything seems to be the same. I know that they are a company that has plenty of experience dealing with military customers. Their custom flight suits are all over the fleet and are also popular with several gov't contract companies.
Best ring them. They do but it costs a bundle.

sixties.nut

RE: Navin323i

G-1's were issued to: Coast Guard, Navy and Marines.

A-2's were issued to: Air Force and Army.

(with the Marines always getting the hand me downs)

Navin323i

Practically Family
sixties.nut said:
G-1's were issued to: Coast Guard, Navy and Marines.

A-2's were issued to: Air Force and Army.

(with the Marines always getting the hand me downs)

Thank you so much for the explanation! Makes sense now to me. :D

So G-1's and A-2's were U.S. specific. What about the British military? Do they have similar leather jacket types?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I hope I don't derail the topic, but I have to ask, considering that this is a G-1 thread after all. In temperatures between 40 to 50 degrees, are G-1s warm enough? What about around the 20 to 30 temperature range? Are they comfortable on warmer days with the temps at about the 60s to 70s, or are they a bit much for that?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
I hope I don't derail the topic, but I have to ask, considering that this is a G-1 thread after all. In temperatures between 40 to 50 degrees, are G-1s warm enough? What about around the 20 to 30 temperature range? Are they comfortable on warmer days with the temps at about the 60s to 70s, or are they a bit much for that?

I've always said that G-1s look cool and are.

A-2s and G-1s are really just windbreakers. They have no insulation. If you are looking for a warm flight jacket, try a CWU-45P or a pre-1975 MA-1.

AF

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Atticus Finch said:
I've always said that G-1s look cool and are.

A-2s and G-1s are really just windbreakers. They have no insulation. If you are looking for a warm flight jacket, try a CWU-45P or a pre-1975 MA-1.

AF

Thanks, but could an A-2 or a G-1 work in snowy conditions with a sweater and longsleeve shirt underneath (with perhaps an undershirt underneath that)? You know, dressing in layers? Would this be comfortable in those sorts of temperatures? I'm not sure if you have any experience with that, but I would appreciate some informative responses based on your climatic experiences.

Corky

Practically Family
My experience with Gibson and Barnes jackets has been excellent...

My experience with Gibson and Barnes jackets has been excellent.

However, my experience does not include their Navy G-1. But if it is as well made as their other jackets, it should be a solid investment.

57.jpg

The main reason to shop with G & B is that when you stop by their showroom, you can inspect the workmanship of the product and actually try on some jackets.

If you have spent any time on this forum, you will see the ads for mail order jackets which somehow (despite best efforts) just didn't fit or feel just right. The unfortunate owners sell them at a loss and try their luck with another mail order house.

Next time you get to San Diego, schedule a visit to their showroom.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
Thanks, but could an A-2 or a G-1 work in snowy conditions with a sweater and longsleeve shirt underneath (with perhaps an undershirt underneath that)? You know, dressing in layers? Would this be comfortable in those sorts of temperatures? I'm not sure if you have any experience with that, but I would appreciate some informative responses based on your climatic experiences.

I suppose that you could wear enough layers under any jacket to make it marginally usable in snowy condituions. But the A-2 and the G-1 were not meant to be worn that way. They are both uninsulated, trim-fitting windbreakers that were meant to be worn over a flight suit in moderate conditions. The B-3, B-6 and the M-445 were the heavy-weight leather flight jackets designed for colder weather.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto