Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G.B.Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. <1936

Yesterday during a typical online-hat-trawl I discovered these old Borsalinos a half hour away. I immediately wrote Stefan asking "Help! ..What's the story?" .. While waiting for a reply I fired up the FL search engine, found this thread AND exact same pictures I'd just sent Stefan! I got impression no one was imminently moving on them and they were very local so I put in an offer.
I bit hard too. No more hats for this guy for awhile. Fortunately the gray is my size, the black is too small. I feel fine about purchase as both hats are dead mint, un-bashed and apparently unworn. Seller relayed to me her Great Grandfather brought them over from Italy, had some pictures taken before his wife stored them away, where they've been since. First picture is how they were stored (I suspect tissue paper is original packaging from factory) This made me smile as it reminded me of my Italian Grandmother as this is exactly something she would have done .. probably at the same time she was saying "EAT!"

Felt is just incredible on both hats. Brim 1 7/8" Crown around 5 1/4"
Both hats take any bash dry. Black hat's brim slightly stiffer than gray's.
Liner and sweatband are identical on both hats. Enjoy Pictures!
View attachment 257220
View attachment 257229
View attachment 257230
View attachment 257231
View attachment 257232
View attachment 257234
View attachment 257235
View attachment 257237
View attachment 257238
View attachment 257239
Just how awesome does it get? It's unlikely we'll ever see anything as clean as this and it's doubtful even the Borsalino museum has them. So if only for hat history you are to be commended, Mike. They have my heart racing. Thanks for saving these and I'm sure one of the members here will volunteer to the one that doesn't fit you off your hands.
Would be interesting to hear the year they were brought to the US, so we could put some sort of a date on them.

Thanks, Stefan ..
Seller just wrote that she asked her great aunts this morning about their father's two hats.
They came over with him from Sicily in 1916 and were purchased between 1911 and 1915.
They say they only saw him wear them once. Gray one is on my head my right now ; )
Could you take a pic of the labels underneath the sweatband? The artwork on the liner is by Cesare Simonetti and dates back to 1913, so the hat is not earlier than that.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Hi Garrett,
I absolutely defer to yours and the group's expertise.
This is the "her"story as was conveyed to me.
Your interpretation would not jibe with notion that original owner arrived in America, 1916 with hats in trunk though. One fact about story that I would trust from family members is what year our hero arrived in the US from Sicily.

Edit .. I think I figured it out. Our hero lands in the US and eventually realizes that it's impossible to get decent prosciutto (true. to. this. day.)
He writes back home to send some ... of course his family obliges and they throw these hats in the box for good measure ??

Best,
Mike

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hi Garrett,
I absolutely defer to yours and the group's expertise.
This is the "her"story as was conveyed to me.
Your interpretation would not jibe with notion that original owner arrived in America, 1916 with hats in trunk though. One fact about story that I would trust from family members is what year our hero arrived in the US from Sicily.
Best,
Mike

Memories fade, we can all account to that. I have no doubt that those dear ladies believe their story to be true. However, as Garret points out, more 30s than teens.
Either way, still pristine beauties of a bygone age.

I'm always a bit reluctant to date a hat based on just the shape and style. Especially if it's about an era we don't have that many examples from. I see no particular reason why they could not be from the teens. Would be nice if the sweatband was date-stamped.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm always a bit reluctant to date a hat based on just the shape and style. Especially if it's about an era we don't have that many examples from. I see no particular reason why they could not be from the teens. Would be nice if the sweatband was date-stamped.

I've owned several examples from this firm made in the 20's and 30's. As with most other hat companies brim widths, ribbon widths, sweatband style (width, embossing, text and stitch style) all aid considerably in dating these hats. There are stylistic elements more prevalent in one era than another. Perhaps not pinning down a single year of manufacture but certainly narrowing it to a decade. These two hats have high straight crowns, 2" ribbons and 2" or less brims (that haven't been cut in the aftermarket). 1930's traits. Do a google image search for James Cagney and you'll see these hats on him left and right during the films he made in the 30's.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I am now the new lucky custodian of the smaller of Mike's (@TheGuitarFairy) great finds.
This one's for wearing not packing away for another 90 years or so. Thus, I tried to give it a classic 1920s/30s shape. Hope I've done this beauty justice.
Have a great weekend folks. IMG_20200922_175009.jpg IMG_20200922_201742.jpg IMG_20200922_201746.jpg IMG_20200922_201409.jpg

I am now the new lucky custodian of the smaller of Mike's (@TheGuitarFairy) great finds.
This one's for wearing not packing away for another 90 years or so. Thus, I tried to give it a classic 1920s/30s shape. Hope I've done this beauty justice.
Have a great weekend folks. View attachment 264737 View attachment 264738 View attachment 264739 View attachment 264740
Looks fantastic, Steve. That crease creates a gorgeous profile. Have you seen a chance to take a pic of the label?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Stefan. I'm so pleased I pulled the trigger on this one. One of my more expensive buys, but it was definitely worth it. Thanks to Mike @TheGuitarFairy for doing the deal.

I'd so love to get a photo of the label. Sadly, as I tried to lift the sweat, a few of the stitches popped, so I daren't try again.

Looks fantastic, Steve. That crease creates a gorgeous profile. Have you seen a chance to take a pic of the label?

Thanks, Stefan. I'm so pleased I pulled the trigger on this one. One of my more expensive buys, but it was definitely worth it. Thanks to Mike @TheGuitarFairy for doing the deal.

I'd so love to get a photo of the label. Sadly, as I tried to lift the sweat, a few of the stitches popped, so I daren't try again.
I can understand that. I've had the same problem with several of my hats, most recently a boater I picked up yesterday. Pity; would have liked to see if it could give us more information.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
The red flags are the font, logo colours, superiore designation, and the look of the leather.
If it's a Borsalino, it should be a good hat, but not at the price of a pre-war one, if that's what they're asking.

It’s not mine...and for the price it’s never going to be.

I do have one of the “reboot” hats, but the liner etc. look different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points