Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G.B.Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. <1936

Fu Lazzaro Bowler Qualitá Finissima. Daniele posted photos and descriptions of this gem on the 12th January. I won't post too many photos of it here nor say too much about it, other than to say, I'm speechless at how this hat has survived in such wonderful condition during its approximate 100 years of existence.

Matt @Mean Eyed Matt originally bought it from Daniele, but sadly, it was a tad too small for him. View attachment 310807 View attachment 310808 View attachment 310809 View attachment 310810
I'm grateful to Matt for giving me the opportunity to purchase it from him.

Needless to say, it will be worn and treasured :)
Steve, It's a a real gem! Congrats!

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Fu Lazzaro Bowler Qualitá Finissima. Daniele posted photos and descriptions of this gem on the 12th January. I won't post too many photos of it here nor say too much about it, other than to say, I'm speechless at how this hat has survived in such wonderful condition during its approximate 100 years of existence.

Matt @Mean Eyed Matt originally bought it from Daniele, but sadly, it was a tad too small for him. View attachment 310807 View attachment 310808 View attachment 310809 View attachment 310810

I'm really happy you have this bowler Steve and a little sad for Matt, but this is the"hats size law"
Complimenti for the attire and bowler :)

As I said to Steve:
I'm also a little sad that this jewel didn't fit me after all,
but I am even happier that it has the perfect fit for Steve
- as you can easily see in the pictures above.
I know it's in good hands now and will get the head time it deserves.

Have fun with it!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Matt.

I'm absolutely overjoyed with this one. Rest assured, it will be cherished and worn.

As I said to Steve:
I'm also a little sad that this jewel didn't fit me after all,
but I am even happier that it has the perfect fit for Steve
- as you can easily see in the pictures above.
I know it's in good hands now and will get the head time it deserves.

Have fun with it!

Magnificent, Steve. Good to see it's found a home where it can be worn as well. You're getting quite the collection of the other Borsalinos it seems.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This year I found more bowler hats than at any other time in my life as a hat lover and collector
bombetta-gb-borsalino-4-jpg.348348

Most of them were made by G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro, arrived in splendid condition for their age of centenarians, and sold in Italy.
bombetta-gb-borsalino-3-jpg.348349

It seems as if the upper class had put the great-grandparents' hats on the market.
bombetta-gb-borsalino-2-jpg.348350

G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro "Qualità Finissima" sold by Luxus in Palermo, size is 5 1/2 so a 58 centimetrs in EU and a 7 1/8 in US.
bombetta-gb-borsalino-interno-totale-jpg.348351

The peculiarity of this ancient beauty is the pleated ribbon, difficult to find on this so formal hat.
bombetta-gb-borsalino-7g-jpg.348353
It has come down to us in beautiful condition, without damage or missing and the interior is practically new.
The paper label said the model is "Oslo" and nothing else, if not numbers

These are the measurements of the G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro bowler hat: the curled brim measure 5.5 centimeters and the ribbon is 3 centimeters, the maximum height of the crown is 10.5 centimeters.
bombetta-gb-borsalino-5-jpg.348356

I sincerely hope the field is not exhausted :)

This year I found more bowler hats than at any other time in my life as a hat lover and collector

Most of them were made by G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro, arrived in splendid condition for their age of centenarians, and sold in Italy.

It seems as if the upper class had put the great-grandparents' hats on the market.

G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro "Qualità Finissima" sold by Luxus in Palermo, size is 5 1/2 so a 58 centimetrs in EU and a 7 1/8 in US.

The peculiarity of this ancient beauty is the pleated ribbon, difficult to find on this so formal hat.
It has come down to us in beautiful condition, without damage or missing and the interior is practically new.

These are the measurements of the G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro bowler hat: the curled brim measure 5.5 centimeters and the ribbon is 3 centimeters, the maximum height of the crown is 10.5 centimeters.

Always exciting to see another Lazzaro turn up, Daniele. Their name implies they will rise up of course, but some are just very slow to do so;). A beauty of a hat and a wonderful find.

Daniele, It's a real beauty! Everything that you mentioned. Also the Sun like liner is fantastic!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic, Daniele. My Lazzaro is amazing. I love the gills bow on that one.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Always exciting to see another Lazzaro turn up, Daniele. Their name implies they will rise up of course, but some are just very slow to do so;). A beauty of a hat and a wonderful find.

Daniele, It's a real beauty! Everything that you mentioned. Also the Sun like liner is fantastic!

Daniele, Amazing trio and in mint condition. Great viewing pleasure!

Wonderful bombetta with beautiful details. I think my favorite part is the calligraphy of "Oslo." ;^)

Fantastic, Daniele. My Lazzaro is amazing. I love the gills bow on that one.
Thankls you all for the kind words about the bowler G.B. Borsalino fu Lazzaro.
It is a lucky time for the bowlers made in Alessandria on the rebel side.
Hope to find also some hats from the same producer...:)

I recently bought a digital copy of this book by Alberto Ballerino.
cover.jpg

Seems to be the exact same book as this one.

Ballerino-Borsalino-storia-emozione cover.jpg

Anyway, it is in Italian and I have spent some time translating it (or have Google Translate have a go at it). Can't post the translation here (for obvious reasons), but PM me if you're interested. It is an interesting read and while the subject is the main Borsalino, there is a good portion dedicated to the relation between the Borsalino of Guiseppe and the Borsalino of Giovanni Battista.

Giovanni Battista Borsalino.jpg

Guiseppe had already passed away by the time this went down (he died in 1900). GB Borsalino worked for the company and the book has it that the family, with Guiseppe's son Teresio as the main player, tried to oust GB from the company. They succeeded, but Giovanni wasn't taking it lying down. With the help of financiers he founded the "other" Borsalino: GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro and from that moment it was ON!
The book gives a pretty good description of the troubles both companies had keeping the businesses afloat among continuous disputes with unions, effects of geo-politics on the trade, troubles with acquiring materials and internal politics and machinations. In fact Giovanni was already sidetracked from his own company in the early twenties and only had a nominal role until his death in 1926. The company was already struggling by then.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like a great read, Stefan. I can just imagine how the story could be turned into a super Netflix mini series.

I recently bought a digital copy of this book by Alberto Ballerino.
View attachment 355436

Seems to be the exact same book as this one.

View attachment 355437

Anyway, it is in Italian and I have spent some time translating it (or have Google Translate have a go at it). Can't post the translation here (for obvious reasons), but PM me if you're interested. It is an interesting read and while the subject is the main Borsalino, there is a good portion dedicated to the relation between the Borsalino of Guiseppe and the Borsalino of Giovanni Battista.

View attachment 355439

Guiseppe had already passed away by the time this went down (he died in 1900). GB Borsalino worked for the company and the book has it that the family, with Guiseppe's son Teresio as the main player, tried to oust GB from the company. They succeeded, but Giovanni wasn't taking it lying down. With the help of financiers he founded the "other" Borsalino: GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro and from that moment it was ON!
The book gives a pretty good description of the troubles both companies had keeping the businesses afloat among continuous disputes with unions, effects of geo-politics on the trade, troubles with acquiring materials and internal politics and machinations. In fact Giovanni was already sidetracked from his own company in the early twenties and only had a nominal role until his death in 1926. The company was already struggling by then.

In joyful anticipation of the fantastic bowler arriving at my door - Gracie, Daniele - I thought of
a repro poster I got many years ago from the retailer in Leipzig where I bought my very first hat:

40326306kr.jpg

Here's a larger version. The opening bid would buy a few hats though ...

GB_Borsalino_Fu_Poster_1910.jpg

The quote in the description sounds like someone who is a wine or whiskey reviewer.

Description
ARTIST: MARCELLO DUDOVICH (1878-1962) SIZE: 40 1/2 x 56 3/8 in./102.8 x 143.2 cm PRINTER: G. Ricordi, Milano DESCRIPTION: "The poster with which he won a competition organized by the Borsalino Company in 1910 has been described by Attilio Rossi in these almost metaphysical terms: 'It actually anticipates the so-called 'poster-object' later theorized by the German, L. Bernhard. In fact, in that dominant and unusual yellow light that invades the entire poster, the 'still-life' of the article to be advertised, the black bowler hat, becomes the inseparable protagonist while the armchair, the gloves and the stick recite sotto voce their subordinate role to the distinction and courtliness of the product'" (Hillier, p. 221). This is the larger, two-sheet format of this magnificent work. (Art Nouveau; Fashion; Italian)

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/marca-zenit-g-b-borsalino-1911-279-c-4914e8ab67

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk