Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G.B.Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. <1936

Tonio

A-List Customer
I rescued another GB Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & Co relic. Guessing that it's an ad sign promoting their "Zenit" model hat. Described as a plaque. I'm excited to check it out in person.

View attachment 74949 View attachment 74950

Couple ads with the same logo:
View attachment 74952 View attachment 74951

ZENIT brochure! Awaiting its arrival.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Should go nice with the Zenit sign. Now I just need to track down the hat!
image.jpeg

By the way if you haven't seen this Borsalino Zenit video it deserves a watch.

ZENIT brochure! Awaiting its arrival.
View attachment 77491 View attachment 77492

Should go nice with the Zenit sign. Now I just need to track down the hat!
View attachment 77496

By the way if you haven't seen this Borsalino Zenit video it deserves a watch.

Tonio, Sorry I missed this June post. Great finds! Did you receive "Zenit" G.B.Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. brochure? If so would it be possible to post photos? What are the dimensions of the "Zenit" sign? Yes the very old "Zenit" G.B.Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. film is fantastic! Manfred found it a while back. I think it's posted farther back in the thread.

Tonio

A-List Customer
Tonio, Sorry I missed this June post. Great finds! Did you receive "Zenit" G.B.Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. brochure? If so would it be possible to post photos? What are the dimensions of the "Zenit" sign? Yes the very old "Zenit" G.B.Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. film is fantastic! Manfred found it a while back. I think it's posted farther back in the thread.

Thank you! I did receive the Zenit brochure. It's about 30 pages. I believe it's from 1920. The premise details a design competition for the Zenit model hat. "The jury was formed by the sculptor LEONARDO BISTOLFI, by the painters GIOVANNI BELTRAMI and ARNALDO FERRAGUTTI, by the author RENATO SIMONI, and by the technical part, by Mr. G.B. Borsalino" I'm in the process of getting the entire text translated and I will post it here with images.

The diameter of the Zenit sign is roughly 4-3/8". It is heavy and has a stand that flips out so it can display on a counter top.

The hat came in yesterday from an antique dealer in Sicily. The sweatband is quite wide and would require some pressure to peel back. I will see if I can safely peek. There is what appears to be a little hard glue spot of sorts inside where the top of the head would sit, perhaps indication of small label?

More to come I hope! Thanks

Tonio, Thank you for the additional information. That would be fantastic if you can post the Zenit brochure contents and translated text. Please do not risk damaging the sweatband looking for the paper label. I look forward to seeing more details of the hat. If you can take a photo of the inside crown that would be great.

GB Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C.

Quite a light weight at 2.8oz

View attachment 79874 View attachment 79876 View attachment 79879 View attachment 79880 View attachment 79881 View attachment 79882

Notice the script difference compared to what is more commonly seen.
View attachment 79883

Somewhat delicate to handle, and in need of a steaming due to being crushed into a shipping envelope...:rolleyes:
View attachment 79884
Now that is character! Can't wait to see the transformation back to it's old self.

GB Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C.

Quite a light weight at 2.8oz

View attachment 79874 View attachment 79876 View attachment 79879 View attachment 79880 View attachment 79881 View attachment 79882

Notice the script difference compared to what is more commonly seen.
View attachment 79883

Somewhat delicate to handle, and in need of a steaming due to being crushed into a shipping envelope...:rolleyes:
View attachment 79884
Another great one. I'd love to see that one brought back to former glory.

This one doesn't really belong in this thread (sorry guys), because I don't think it's an original GB Borsalno fu Lazzaro, but rather one made by Borsalino in the fifties to revive the GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro brand. I don't think we have a dedicated thread for those, so I'm posting it here as an example. GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro&C fedora in a warm grey (Ontano, which translates as Alder), size 57. Raw edge brim at 6cm and crown 10,5 cm at the pinch. Qualita superiore. The hat does have the initials JK on the sweatband, but it looks like it has never been worn. Ribbon is a bit crumpled because of the way it was shipped to me. Sold by Camberini of Genova.

borsalino fu lazzaro_02.jpg
borsalino fu lazzaro_01.jpg
borsalino fu lazzaro_03.jpg
borsalino fu lazzaro_04.jpg
borsalino fu lazzaro_05.jpg
borsalino fu lazzaro_11.jpg
borsalino fu lazzaro_06.jpg
borsalino fu lazzaro_08.jpg
borsalino fu lazzaro_09.jpg

RJR

This one doesn't really belong in this thread (sorry guys), because I don't think it's an original GB Borsalno fu Lazzaro, but rather one made by Borsalino in the fifties to revive the GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro brand. I don't think we have a dedicated thread for those, so I'm posting it here as an example. GB Borsalino fu Lazzaro&C fedora in a warm grey (Ontano, which translates as Alder), size 57. Raw edge brim at 6cm and crown 10,5 cm at the pinch. Qualita superiore. The hat does have the initials JK on the sweatband, but it looks like it has never been worn. Ribbon is a bit crumpled because of the way it was shipped to me. Sold by Camberini of Genova.

View attachment 85317 View attachment 85318 View attachment 85319 View attachment 85320 View attachment 85321 View attachment 85322 View attachment 85323 View attachment 85324 View attachment 85325
Very nice.

View attachment 85317 View attachment 85318 View attachment 85319 View attachment 85320 View attachment 85321 View attachment 85322 View attachment 85323 View attachment 85324 View attachment 85325
Beautiful Stefan! The history of this hat and Borsalino's revival of the brand is totally appropriate, even if it is newer. Love it.

Tonio

A-List Customer
Very very happy to share my latest find! This is a 115 year old postcard from March 11, 1903 signed by Giovanni Battista (G.B.) Borsalino to the Martini & Rossi company.

To put the timeframe into perspective, it was just 3 years after the founder Giuseppe Borsalino passed away.

Interesting to see that it is on the original Borsalino company letterhead. "GB Borsalino Fu Lazzaro" did not yet exist at this time, and GB was affiliated with the main company before starting his own.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Handwriting comparison from "The American Hatter" June 1919:
image.jpeg

Advertisement snippet also from "The American Hatter" June 1919.
image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto