Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G&B -"Try On"- A-2, Pics, Opinion

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Hey guys, so I'm the new guy who is now posting the pictures of the Gibson and Barnes -try on- jacket that I just received. I'm interested in their Historical A-2 in Russet so they sent me out this Civil A-2 to try on to start figuring out the sizing. So far G&B's service has been very good and friendly.

This jacket is a size 40. I would agree with a lot of posts that the G&B jackets run just a bit fuller in the body. This has it's advantages in terms of being a good warm weather jacket, but also I tend to like things that are a bit snugger in the body. You could say I fall somewhere in the middle of the loose vs tight end of the spectrum.

At any rate, I'm thinking about ordering one of their jackets possibly tailor cut so please give me specific input on sizing and cut. In terms of the shoulders, sleeve length, jacket length, and the amount of material around the body.

If I order a jacket in either a 38 long or a 40 long it would be easier to take back if need be. Having one tailor made would get a little more difficult, but still might be worth it.

FullZip.jpg

Full Zip

HalfZipped.jpg

Half Zip

Unzipped.jpg

Open

SideView.jpg

Side

BackView.jpg

Back

Thanks guys. This is my first time posting pics so I hope this works and doesn't just end up as a bunch of code.

Last edited:

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
The shoulders are correct. The sleeves could be a 1/2-1 inch longer.
The body of the jacket (length) could be at least 1, possibly 2 inches longer. I like the jacket to cover my belt, and have a little blousing or looseness to the leather part above the top of the knit. The front looks shorter than the back for some reason.

The chest looks right, but how does it feel when raising and crossing your arms, room enough so it doesn't drag under your armpits or in the back?

The torso looks ok, hard to tell exactly.

Start keeping records on the jackets you try on, and make measurements, so you will be able to know by looking at the measurements, whether something will or will not fit right.
I keep file cards, and write down the following 5 measurements. 1. Pit to pit with the jacket laying flat, not stretched or rumpled. 2. shoulder seam to shoulder seam. 3. arm length from shoulder seam to end of cuff knit. 4. Length of back from collar seam to end of knit. and 5. length of the front flap that holds the zipper. With these you can start to know about how a jacket is going to fit by looking at the measurements. There are other variables, but these are the basic measurements to have a handle on.

Last edited:

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Hey thanks Jaguar. I'm really agreeing with ya on the sleeve and body length. As far as the chest/back goes, I just tried it on again after getting your post, and yes I think there is plenty of room in that direction.

About the torso, that's the part I'm the most concerned about. In the past I've preferred things to be more tight but I've been lately open to having things a bit more roomy around there. So it feels a little roomy to me, but I really don't know if that's how its supposed to be or if it is indeed too roomy. When it's zipped up it looks good, I think. The unzipped pic is the one I don't know for sure about. It's good to know you like a little blousing above the waist. That actually helps me with figuring how the torso/waist should feel.

Jag made some excellent points on getting and keeping numbers. Forget tag sizes - they're useless.
I also now measure under pit to end of sleeve. Well done Jag;

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I agree with keeping these measurements. The interesting thing about the G&B is that it has a wider pit to pit measurement 25", than my cafe racer, that is tight but good at just under 22". But if the cafe racer were 25" pit to pit it would be huge on me, while the drape of the G&B is such that it incorporates the extra fabric/leather better than the cafe racer would.

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I'm taking to heart your response to my post on your new jacket thread about being ready to get stuff in and flip it if need be.

When I wore a more full cut (Avirex, Schott) jacket, it was a lot easier. I now like a more tailored look. NOT tight. Just better-fitting. Don't rush. Flipping isn't really a lot of fun, just part of the search. It gets worse with time. And occasionally, you get lucky.

Corky

Practically Family
A minor point: you are located in Southern California and not that far from the G & B showroom in El Cajon.

If you look back through the classifieds, you will see many cases of mail-order jacket buyer's remorse.

Consider a trip to the G & B warehouse to try on the candidates for your new jacket in person.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Try looking on this site, you have to join up, but its a great bunch of guys, many are here on Fedora Lounge also.

Vintage Leather Jackets
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/index.php

Also, this maker, John Chapman, a one man show type company, is the A2 jacket maker people talk about.
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html

This link is all the guys wearing Goodwear Jackets

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Customer_Wearing/

Vintage photos here

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/vintage_photos/

John is the guy on the left in this photo, extremely nice guy.
Group_02.jpg

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Update: so after getting your guys' input on sizing I've ordered a historical A2 from G&B in russet goat in a 40 long. The return policy is 30 days. Once I get it I'm going to take it too my tailor to get her opinion. If anyone in LA needs a tailor she's great, I can give you her info.

As for vintage leather jackets, I guess you need an ISP email address to join now. I'll have to research that because I don't know what that is.

And Jag, those Good Wear pics look great. I'm thinking about contacting them with questions. I want something that is tailor fitted around the torso and maybe wider in the shoulders. I'd also like smallish pockets and collar. So I want to see if any of their contracts fit that description.

Corky

Practically Family
In reply to your questions, I meant mail-order buyer's remorse.

I have a couple of G & B jackets and am satisfied with the fit.

An ISP email address is one that is provided by your ISP, your "Internet Service Provider", or an email associated with a business or website. Many forums will not accept registrations using "free" or web-based email accounts such as those available from Yahoo, Google, and others. This is a security measure, a way for the forum to track back any offensive emails to their point of origin.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Leopard,
would love to see the G&B russet goat when you get the jacket. I have a G&B russet horse. I love the hide and construction. Looking at russet goat for the next jacket....Looks like 40L should work for you. I think a long (for G&B)adds one inch to the body and sleeves. Good choice...
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn