Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G.I.'s and beer

Novella

Practically Family
My grandpa was stationed in the Philippines in the 1950s, and San Miguel was *the* beer there. I have a great cartoon (unfortunately not scanned) that traces the de-evolution of a sailor as he becomes addicted to San Miguel.

file00587da.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Although it's not that old, it certainly gets top marks for getting in the spirit of the "old times" thing and that's Spitfire Ale from Kent. And they have a brilliant ad campaign:

images-thumb.jpg

Try is next time you're in the UK, not a bad ale either.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smithy said:
Although it's not that old, it certainly gets top marks for getting in the spirit of the "old times" thing and that's Spitfire Ale from Kent. And they have a brilliant ad campaign:

images-thumb.jpg

Try is next time you're in the UK, not a bad ale either.

Now that is quality advertising.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've read quite a few accounts of Schlitz and Schaefer being popular beers of the time. We try to buy mostly old beers, so we've bought Hamm's, Rolling Rock, Miller High Life, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Pearl, Schlitz, Schaefer, and Olympia. High Life comes in cute little glass bottles that look very vintage. A friend of mine that served in Korea remembered Olympia being extremely popular. Hamm's is hard to come by these days, so we haven't had it in a while. Since the original brewery closed in 2001, Pearl is practically undrinkable now.

I'm also a big fan of Lone Star, and that's an old brew.

XShipRider

New in Town
carebear said:
Now that is quality advertising.

I don't know what the locals in England think of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout but I like it.

An excerpt I found:
The Old Brewery at Tadcaster was founded in 1758 and is Yorkshire’s oldest brewery. Samuel Smith is one of the few remaining independent breweries in England, and further is the last to utilize the classic Yorkshire Square system of fermentation solely in stone squares.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I can't speak to WWII, but in Vietnam Schlitz was probably the most common. Knickerbocker seemed to show up a lot, as did Hamms and Rainier. Oddly enough, for a while Heinekin seemed to be everywhere in-country.

Sadly, Olympia is gone from the scene. I drive by the abandoned brewery building nearly every day

Ben

One of the Regulars
It seems like the true way to embrace the spirit of vintage beer would be to drink microbrews. It used to be that a lot of towns had their own breweries. Of course prohibition made that a little tough to maintain.

Still, I have gotten a lot more enjoyment out of beer since I have started to get into the craft beers. I have even started helping a friend who runs a craft brew site called www.beerdorks.com. It is rather irreverent in its approach to beer though.

Now that I think of it, vintage brews would make for a good story. Anyone know of any microbreweries that are using vintage recipes or methods?

carebear

52Styleline said:
I can't speak to WWII, but in Vietnam Schlitz was probably the most common. Knickerbocker seemed to show up a lot, as did Hamms and Rainier. Oddly enough, for a while Heinekin seemed to be everywhere in-country.

Sadly, Olympia is gone from the scene. I drive by the abandoned brewery building nearly every day

Heinekin is huge in Thailand, apparently has been for years. I don't know if it dates to some colonial bottling plant on one of the German islands of the Pacific, or if it was a weird trade thing.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Schlitz had the Vietnam franchise locked down and enjoyed a fair
share of Hong Kong bartrade. Southern Europe and North Africa offered
Heineken and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

carebear

Spitfire said:
Speaking of Heineken (not Heinekin): It's from Holland. And not german.:eusa_doh:

Well, I have to own the typo, I just copied the precious posting. :(

The not German, but Dutch, explains Thailand. The Dutch had the Dutch East Indies in the Pacific. They might have been the first to set up a true euro style brewery?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Beer around the world

Some large european breweries like Heineken, Carlsberg etc. have "sisterbreweries" placed around the world (especially Far East), in order to save money on production and export. I think it's a simple as that.
Drinking a "forreign" beer is more trendy than drinking the local stuff.
Allthough the Heineken or Carlsberg is locally made.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara