Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gable in a Leather Jacket I Think May Be The Perfect Thing.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Especially with the pants and shirt. Holy smoke.

bfc6ca30911616f8999158e0e42d9d37.jpg

The fussiness of any clothing comes from the person who's trying to make sure everyone sees their new jacket. Or who's overly nitpicky about how it hangs, just how much the zipper is open, etc. The art of insouciance has gone down the pan.

tbh, is there any aspect of fashion that isn't theatre? You may think you're dressing for yourself, but you're actual (usually unconscious) motivation is to put yourself on display, to present yourself (essentially to potential mates) in the way you consider most suited to attracting others. There's nothing more fussy/theatrical/egotistical than a publicly posted "selfie", independent of the garment worn.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
All that may be somewhat true Baron. But the jacket still looks fussy and theatrical to me. Semiotics about selflies and who puts on what display, I leave to others...

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
All that may be somewhat true Baron. But the jacket still looks fussy and theatrical to me. Semiotics about selflies and who puts on what display, I leave to others...

We sir... are just going to have to "agree to disagree" on this one. Yes the photo's from a publicity still yes, he's coifed to an inch of his life... BUT he can pull it off because he has "it"! "IT" is that indescribable something that makes someone a man other men would follow and women would kill for. In women, they're the kind of woman men fought duels over. You may call the jacket "fussy and theatrical" but not the man in it!

Worf

bretron

Call Me a Cab
D pocket aviators are perhaps my favorite style jackets. Stylistically, they're a work of art. I think fussy is a bit of a strong word, but they're definitely busier looking than any other jacket I can think of. This to me is a good thing...

There's lots of cool fellas here. Lots of well-dressed fellas too. But I'm not sure we have enough "cool" pooled together to make up one Clark Gable. We can keep trying though… lol

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
Clark Gable may have looked cool, but I'll bet our breath smells better! :eeek: On the jacket I somewhat agree with Seb. I would never own or wear a jacket like that. It reminds me of the one Leonardo DiCaprio wore in The Aviator. In a Hollywood movie they can pull it off, but where I live it would look too out of place.

Not if you were riding a motorcycle. It's a motorcycle/sporting jacket. One of the first styles (D-pocket or map pocket, slanted zipper opening on main zipper side) designed specifically for such pursuits.

The only thing with a DB leather jacket, though, is that it's really gotta fit. If it's too big, it looks godawful.

Metatron

One Too Many
I also think that once you've got the asymmetrical thing going on, you don't need many additional details. They tend to look better without press studs on the lapels imho.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
We sir... are just going to have to "agree to disagree" on this one. Yes the photo's from a publicity still yes, he's coifed to an inch of his life... BUT he can pull it off because he has "it"! "IT" is that indescribable something that makes someone a man other men would follow and women would kill for. In women, they're the kind of woman men fought duels over. You may call the jacket "fussy and theatrical" but not the man in it!

Worf

I was writing about the jacket in real life, Worf, not the glossies of the actor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner