Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gable vs. Bogart

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
BOTH were terrific and made some fine films.

..but I'm a Bogie fan.

sf

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Gotta go with Bogart over Gable. If only for the fact that Sinatra, Garland, Niven, Romanoff, Noel Coward and Dino all chose to hang with him. Plus Gable always struck me as a cardboard cutout. But greatly prefer Grant to either.

:eek:fftopic: And if we are discussing war time service Jimmy Stewart, Charles Durning(Silver Star, 3 purple hearts), Lee Marvin(Marine, wounded severely on Saipan) and Edward (Green Acres) Albert(Bronze Star on Tarawa, esteemed by the Marine Corps), and last but not least Henry Fonda (Navy, Bronze Star) all stand far above most.

That's another thing I admire about he actors / celebrities of that era. It's rare to see that sort of patriotism from Hollywood anymore.

I think of Gable more as a regular guy. In his service in WWII the men loved him because he would hang out with them and buy them drinks etc. He sat with them, he talked with them and mixed with them.
Bogart. I have no idea how he was on a person to person basis aside from a few stories I have heard. H was great aroun h studio from what I heard. Signed autographs and talked wih the tourists etc.
I like them about equally---based on big screen performance. Though I think Gable could have played Rick in Casablanca but I doubt Bogart could have played Rhett.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Though I think Gable could have played Rick in Casablanca but I doubt Bogart could have played Rhett.

I'm not so sure about that !

I know Bogie would've decimated
"daddy's spoiled rich temper tantrum throwing lass"
with his "don't give a d----m" attitude from the first scene.
He wouldn't have waited towards the end of the film... ! :D

2ypagqs.png

But you are probably right, nevertheless, it woulda been fun to watch.
But I do believe Bogie & Mayo did the "tango"...for real...:eeek:

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that !

I know Bogie would've decimated
"daddy's spoiled rich temper tantrum throwing lass"
with his "don't give a d----m" attitude from the first scene.
He wouldn't have waited towards the end of the film... ! :D

2ypagqs.png

But you are probably right, nevertheless, it woulda been fun to watch.
But I do believe Bogie & Mayo did the "tango"...for real...:eeek:

One has to stick to the script. :p lol lol
That gave the scene more realism. :p

Bogart had more of a sense of humor than Gable. This is the only thing that can be inferred from the fact that Bogart once disrupted a swanky nightclub by arriving with a giant stuffed panda as his date.

Gable had a sense of humor it was just dry. His look was more rugged than Bogart and his reputation as well. He hunted, fished, repaired cars, and ranched yet he could still wear a suit or tuxedo like a gentleman.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
...and now the rest of the story:

"Bogart used to say, I think the whole world is three drinks behind, and it's
high time it caught up." On one occasion he & a friend bought two enormous stuffed panda bears &
took them as their dates to El Morocco. They sat them in chairs at a table for four & when ambitious
young lady came over & touched Bogart's bear, he shoved her away. "I'm a happily married man,"
he said, "and don't touch my panda."
The woman brought assault charges against him, & when asked if he was drunk at four o'clock in the
morning, he replied, "Sure, isn't everybody?"
The judge ruled that since the panda was Bogart's personal property, he could defend it."

-excerpted from P. Bogdanovich's Who the Hell's In It

21lo08p.png

In a 1949 Times article about the panda bear, Bogart defended his drunken misbehavior
on constitutional grounds. "So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun.
What's wrong with that ?
This is a free country, isn't it ?
I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that's my business."

Time magazine 1949

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner