Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gal needs a uniform

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hi all,
Prompted by Paddy, I'd love to find myself a uniform! Both my grandpas were in the Navy, so I guess that would be my first choice. My boyfriend's into the Air Force, so I guess that would run a second, followed by the Red Cross. I've always considered myself more of a homefront kind of gal, but I suppose it would be good to have myself well rounded :)

So, how do I find one? I'm a pretty small but lanky gal. I guess about 25" waist if that helps. I would give bust size but I'm not sure if it's improper to give those measurements on a public forum [huh] And I don't care if it's vintage or a repro. I suppose I would prefer a repro... but I don't care that much.

Thanks a bunch ahead of time for your help!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I posted the same thing a while back.
Here's the responses:
showthread.php

I know someone started a tribute thread of women in service. I'll see if I can find it. If I could sew I'd use it as reference and make my own and use the websites provided for insignias and accessories.

I may have to get that Revamp ensemble,I've been eyeing it for years or I may just wear the sailor pants and hat I already own with a striped sweater or t-shirt.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
That's funny Lauren, since Paddy's thread I've had a bit of a hankering to get a WW2 outfit, although it'll have to wait til after the holidays. Thanks for the links, ruby.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Me too. Look what Paddy started! Now there's going to be a rush on ebay from the gals here.

I picked this up the other day after getting inspired by that thread.

Lauren

Thanks for the links! Unfortunately, I'm too small :(

I have a pattern that it seems is now discontinued from one of the major pattern companies. I guess I could make myself one from that. I'll see if I can track it down, take a pic, and see if it will pass inspection!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
You won't see a catalog of reproduction uniforms on the site, but I've seen what this vendor has to offer...thought it was original at first. I'm very picky in regard to authenticity / accuracy, this stuff fooled me.

http://www.nchsinc.com/

You'll probably have to ask what's available.

JD Boswell

New in Town
What Price Glory has some great looking WAC uniforms. I know of several gals who have bought their uniforms from them and they all were pleased with them. I have bought several other reenacting items from them myself and they all are top notch.

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/wac.htm

Best of luck!!!

Skywlkrinc

New in Town
Lauren Henline said:
Hi all,
Prompted by Paddy, I'd love to find myself a uniform! Both my grandpas were in the Navy, so I guess that would be my first choice. My boyfriend's into the Air Force, so I guess that would run a second, followed by the Red Cross. I've always considered myself more of a homefront kind of gal, but I suppose it would be good to have myself well rounded :)

So, how do I find one? I'm a pretty small but lanky gal. I guess about 25" waist if that helps. I would give bust size but I'm not sure if it's improper to give those measurements on a public forum [huh] And I don't care if it's vintage or a repro. I suppose I would prefer a repro... but I don't care that much.

Thanks a bunch ahead of time for your help!

You could check out the WWII Reenactors Forum. They have a women's services section that should have all the info you need as far as uniforms and vendors and such. Here's the link.... WWII Reenactor's Forum

CA Rosie

New in Town
Help with a uniform

There are a few reproduction companies out there for womens uniforms. Though they start to dwendle depending upon the branch of the military that you are looking for and what rank, if you want to be an enlisted person or an officer. There is: www.wwiiimpressions.com , www.whatpriceglory.com , www.warhorsetrading.com (though they are in England and they take their time).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am a WWII WAC/Nurse Reenactor on the side.

Kirsten

Lauren

Hey, Kirsten! Nice to see you on the Lounge. Thanks for the links, too! I'm really going to get cracking on it.

I would do vintage, but I'm so afraid to damage them. I can be kind of rough and tumble on my clothes, especially if I'm playing :) I find wearing vintage makes me be super on my guard, and really I just want to have fun and not stress about it falling apart, or moth holes, or dry rot, or seams coming undone... I would make my own, but I don't know of any pattern companies that specialize in them. So I think I'll go the reproduction route for mine.

You guys have all been great! I'll post pics once I've got my duds.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Ladies,

If this thread is still active in any way I have a friend who recommended this link for a good overview and basic education of service women's uniforms of WWII. Good luck to all. M.

blitzkriegbaby.de

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I know this is a very old thread... I collect and wear women's WWII uniforms. Used to reenact quite a bit, now mostly just collect and attend the odd hangar dance here & there. The majority of my uniforms are original and have held up extremely well. If you're just going to wear it for a dance, or standing around at a display event, I think originals should do you just fine, especially for dress uniforms. In a small size, uniforms shouldn't be tough to find, and you'll have more variety than if you went reproduction.

I did own the What Price Glory repro WAC ETO uniform, but ended up selling it because I never wore it. If you're interested in a reproduction, it is an excellent bargain for the money. I also own 2 of WWII Impressions women's khaki blouses. Well worth the money! Shoes - I have the WPG WAC oxfords (which I love) and the Vintage Ordnance USMCWR pumps, as well as a few original pair that I occasionally wear. I also have the WWII Impressions women's HBT set, which is very nice for field events.

The only real downside I see to originals is that the prices have skyrocketed since I started buying. I can remember picking up jackets for $50-$75 and I paid around $60 for my WAC off-duty dress in pristine condition. Man, those were the days. LOL.

Last edited:

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
As an overview, I can highly recommend repro uniforms from What Price Glory. Jerry is a good guy, and I assume his women's stuff is as good as his men's stuff.

Now, another note... Have any of you ladies come across an enlisted WAC skirt in TINY? I have a WAC jacked for a lady who was probably the size of a 12 year old. Bust is about 30" and estimated waist is about 18". I'd love to find a skirt to complete the uniform and, considering the size, it will be one that people have little use for.

Thanks,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner