Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Galoshes

vonwotan

Practically Family
I've tried a few of the relatively new alternatives - over shoes / boots, but the sound of balistic nylon rubbing against my clothing annoys me on the walk to work. I believe I saw galoshed in one of our local boot black shops. If I ever get out for a proper lunch hour I'll run over and take a look. I know they are still available but haven't committed the time to find a pair.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
When, in inclement weather, I must wear leather soled shoes I wear Tingley, either the Commuter, the Trim or the Executive, depending on weather conditions. That said, given my druthers, I'd wear rubber soled shoes in inclement weather.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I wore golashes all through my childhood -- and suffered having cold feet whenever I went out to play in the snow. Those things, plus wearing headscarves, of all things, kept me cold walking to and from school.

Once I could afford winter hiking boots and thermal socks, I found I could walk through drifts and stay out for hours at a time without having cold feet.

karol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I had a very brief second fling at galosh wearing in my 20s. I found they messed up my dress shoes, so into the closet they went.

I got them at a farm supply store. They had the traditional slotted latches, but humungous treaded soles. I'm sure they were intended for muck and manure, not so much snow.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wellie-boots

Galoshes?……. I had to Google that one. My Very Canadian wife calls them rubber boots. But, being I was raised by Scots, I call them Wellies. You know, Paddington Bear in his blue duffle coat, rain hat, and red Wellies, munching on marmalade….. Sorry, I drifted there. Anyway I got my rubber boots at Canadian Tire, use them all the time out on the in-laws land, farming, quading, snowmobiling, hunting, fishing, estate sales. If I knew how much I would use them I would have bought the genuine article at http://www.wellie-boots.com/ or at least picked up a pair when I was in Scotland this last summer. By the way if you want to go for authentic the originals were green, worn traditionally with tweeds.
Unless of course you are talking about shoe condoms (not an official term, just something I thought up) I got them from Wal-mart and only use them on mason night.
Johnny

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Gender issues in rubber footwear?

I was told by a notably elegant lady here on the FL that in her New England childhood not long ago, only girls wore buckle galoshes. Boys wore high one-piece rubber boots of the sort you'd put on to muck a very wet cowlot, or perhaps shuck oysters. Similar to the Scottish Wellies, but without any pretense to class.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Fletch said:
in her New England childhood not long ago, only girls wore buckle galoshes. Boys wore high one-piece rubber boots

It was buckle galoshes for me growing up in the Midwest, in the 60's.

rainbootstore_1934_4167089

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
These are my favourites.

ec_1.jpg

Galoshes should not be confused with Wellingtons. They are meant to be worn over shoes.

Or with overshoes, which are less substantial and are meant to slip on and off.

99_1.jpg

Alan

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Many years ago, I saw a very old man wearing black rubber overshoes that were factory molded in the shape of a cap-toe oxford, complete with laces. It was and is the only decent-looking overshoe I've ever seen ... and I haven't seen one like it since. :(

jml90

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Many years ago, I saw a very old man wearing black rubber overshoes that were factory molded in the shape of a cap-toe oxford, complete with laces. It was and is the only decent-looking overshoe I've ever seen ... and I haven't seen one like it since. :(

Galoshes don't look bad but showing up to work in soaked shoes does.

Big Man

I remember well red galoshes and yellow slicker rain coats and rain hats as a child, although I haven't seen any in a long, long time. There wasn't very much pavement (or sidewalks) around where I grew up, so galoshes served a purpose greater than just keeping your feet/shoes dry.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
How did they keep their shoes dry...

in the 30s and 40s? It occurred to me as I look at my own soggy shoes. Here in DC, I don't think it rained for the last six months - now it's making up for it with a vengence. Anyway, I was wondering, how did men protect their good leather shoes in this kind of weather, it is there a vintage-inspired way to do this today?

Vintage Betty

Rubber Galoshes.

For the women, rubber galoshes or these on occasion. I'm not very sure why someone would use these: for protection when walking in the rain or mud? Or for protecting your shoes in the luggage? I sold these on ebay last year from my personal collection.

shoe_covers1.JPG
shoe_covers2.JPG

shoe_covers3.JPG
shoe_covers4.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy