Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

galoshes !

wowandflutter

New in Town
it's raining in new york today... so i thought i'd do some online window shopping.
a friend of mine found a pair of these shoe covers a few years ago at a thrift store for a few dollars... i think they were from the 1950s. after some research, i found that this company has been making stylish footware for the rain since the 1920s.

antiques1083.jpg

i'd imagine they're somewhat hard to come by, as rubber tends to age poorly.

here are some advertisements i found on ebay :

1920s:
588-3.jpg

589-3.jpg

1936:
1936GaytN.jpg

1940s:
1939-Gaylee-.jpg

i want some so badly !! i think my favorites are the ones featured in the 1936 ad. they're so incredibly stylish.

now all i need is a yellow slicker.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I finally found a pair of these that fits my big giant feet last winter, and have already worn thru the heels -- they're great, but the rubber doesnt age well and they don't stand up to every day use...

What I don't understand is why overshoe galoshes went out of style in the first place. I see people all the time splashing around in the rain in expensive-looking shoes, and you'd think they'd want to take some kind of precautions to protect them. Yet another aspect of modern life I just don't get at all.

wowandflutter

New in Town
Lady Day said:
GAWH!!!

WHY dont they make soooooz that cute no more!?

LD

seriously !!

its incredibly unfair !!

& lizzie... really ! modern rain boots are so unflattering. & then you have to bring your
other shoes along to put on afterward. so silly, but thats contemporary fashion for you.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
What I don't understand is why overshoe galoshes went out of style in the first place. I see people all the time splashing around in the rain in expensive-looking shoes, and you'd think they'd want to take some kind of precautions to protect them. Yet another aspect of modern life I just don't get at all.
[/QUOTE]

Lizzie, I can't agree with you more!!! I wish I could find overshoes like the ones in the center of the 40s ad. Since many of my shoes are expensive I hate wearing them in the rain.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Princess, oh how I wish I could run!!! These days because of a disability I have serious difficulty walking. It would be nice if we had vintage-y low cut overshoes and high galoshes.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Put me down for a pair of fur trimmed velvet gaytees (why does that name make me giggle?). I love all the soign?© women in their galoshes!

wowandflutter

New in Town

manton

A-List Customer
Crockett & Jones makes a classic ladies Balmoral boot. The design has remained constant for at least 100 years. Pricey, but lovely.

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
I find it so hard to dress vintage in winter... Its cold and wet and you NEED a pair of boots, but obviously knee high black leather boots don't exactly compliment a vintage ensemble. :(
I can't wait for spring and then I can finally start to feel more myself. :eek:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
JupitersDarling said:
just saw these, which reminded me of this overshoe-galoshes discussion. Definitely not as cute as the 50's rubbers, but you can get them in several colors....

shuella.jpg

*As seen on Good Morning America* lol

I love how people are acting like these are such a new thing :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24