Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Games with one-syllable names

Espee

Practically Family
I'm really only bringing it up because...
on a Burns and Allen show from 1940 (my copy of which, has poor sound quality) Gracie says "We're going to play a game I made up out of my own head.." and George says (well at first I thought he said) "Oh... FLUFF?"
I don't think he's saying FLUFF. But what game has a name which would serve as an insult to the contents of Gracie's head?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, there's "Flinch," which was a popular card game for a very long time, but that wouldn't be much of an insult. Fluff was and is a marshmallow cream spread popular in New England, but there's no game by that name.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
There was a game called Snap but I doubt that was it. Maybe it was fluff? It fits the scene and she did say she made it up.

George was always careful not to insult Gracie or hurt her feelings so fluff would be about as strong a crack as he would use.

Espee

Practically Family
In a lot of these 1940 shows, there are remarks about her... kookiness. Not so many "dumb Dora" type jokes, but highlighting her non-standard thinking.
On my mp3 player, backing up and replaying is a bit of a hassle, but I'll have to do that and try to figure it out.
When I got this disk about three years ago, I could say "There's someone who's still alive-- Tony Martin.". But he's gone now.

Espee

Practically Family
I got it-- it turns out to be a "game" of a less formal nature.
"It's a sort of a kind of a game, I made up out of my own head."
"Oh... BLOCKS?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW