Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gary White-The Custom Hatter

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Gary has been making and maintaining my felt hats for years...more than a decade...I would not entrust them to anyone else. I don't know from where he procures his mink-slash-beaver blocks, but they are the best hats I have ever encountered, new or vintage, and I own four. He is not cheap and he is not fast, but his work is impecable and he provides a truly "old world" service.

Buzz

DRB

One Too Many
It would be awesome to see a picture or two of them, if possible, but by the looks of that camera, maybe we might have to wait on that?

DRB

One Too Many
Well it's nice to meet you M6classic. I am glad to here that his mink bodies are top notch. I have one coming in 70% mink 30% beaver. I'll post some pics when it arrives.

DRB

One Too Many
Almost done, still needs a brown liner and initials. I will get a decent picture up soon. Until, this will have to do. Gary tells me it has fine hand.

70mink30beaveralmostdonesandtintusethis.jpg

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
I do appologize for my inability to post pictures. As some of you may surmise from my avatar and screen name, I still store all of my photographs on 24 X 36mm acetate chips. I guess it makes sense for me to do business with Gary, a guy who makes hats by hand and has yet to discover e-mail.

Buzz

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
I've have one Leica I've used since 1967. They last forever. If you look on the dreaded auction site you can find a good user M-6 for under eight hundred bucks. Lenses, of course, are extra. Good luck!

Buzz

Alan, how was your visit with Gary White yesterday? Did you buy anything?

Hi Dennis, Sorry for the delayed response... have been in NYC this past week. I had a great visit with Gary. I hadn't seen him since he was the hat buyer at Peller & Mure, which was probably more than 25 years ago. We looked over a bunch of my vintage hats - he kept a velour Borsalino that needs a little loving attention. He also steamed a gentle downward snap to the brim of my No. 1 Stetson which I think gives it a helpful push in the direction of the American west and away from eastern European rabbi. I would love to have him make a nice straw fedora... will talk more about that when I go back to pick up the Borsalino.

He did send his best wishes to you as well.

dads_dec2010.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Indeed. Back in the film days I had two M6's and an M5, M4 and iiiC. They don't get much better.

DRB

One Too Many
He also steamed a gentle downward snap to the brim of my No. 1 Stetson which I think gives it a helpful push in the direction of the American west and away from eastern European rabbi. I would love to have him make a nice straw fedora... will talk more about that when I go back to pick up the Borsalino.

He did send his best wishes to you as well.

dads_dec2010.jpg

Alan, thanks for the reply. Gary is going to be out of commission for probably 3 weeks. He is tending to an injury sustained from a car accident from the big snowfall that you guys in Buffalo got last week.

I wanted to say that downward snap he put into your Stetson looks fantastic. I think of all the photos you have posted, that one is my favorite. You wear it well Sir.

I just got one of my new hats from Gary today. I am very excited about it and will post some pics probably tomorrow. Building a custom hat is so exciting and rewarding.

Here's a toast to wishing Gary a speedy recovery! :sick:

DRB

One Too Many
This is the newest addition to "My Colony of Beavers".
70% mink and 30% beaver. This hat was made by Gary White. It is VERY lightweight. The felt is 2-3 oz. The light weight of this hat is one of it’s best attributes. It is not considered a long-haired hat but it looks wonderful with the swirls in the slightly longer fur. The color is Light Sand, but it looks more like a very light heather to me. This fedora is very difficult to photograph. The flash makes it appear more gray. A similar ribbon color on the crown is used to encompass the brim. A No-Bow Centerpiece is used on the ribbon. The centerpiece has 2 vertical brown lines seperated by a vertical sand/tan line. The lines in the ribbon add a nice touch, making it a very unique hat.. The crown has the taper that I require in the front but not much on the sides. I insist on this for all my favorite hats. The crown when open is only 5 inches (not 5 ¼) , a low crown. 2 1/8 inch brim. Raw edge. It has wonderful hand. From now on, Gary is my only hatter.

sdfgth22128.jpg

Outdoors pic:
Dec212010GaryWhite70mink30beaversandcoloroutdoors211.jpg

Indoors pic:
Dec20201070mink30beaversandcolorwithflash.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

Dec212010GaryWhite70mink30beaversandcoloroutdoors2.jpg

Dec21201021GaryWhite70mink30beaversandcolor.jpg

Dec21201019GaryWhite70mink30beaversandcolor.jpg

Dec21201019GaryWhite70mink30beaversandcolorwithflash1.jpg

Dec20201029.jpg

This picture is a fair representation of the true color (on my monitor), sort of a heather/grey/brown mix.
Dec21201018GaryWhite70mink30beaversandcolornoflash1.jpg

Happy Holidays to all my online friends here at the Fedora Lounge. Peace

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
I just received my Dark Olive, Cavanagh Edge , 100% beaver, custom made by Gary White. It is very dark. It is hard to pick up on any hue of green. Fluorescent light brings out a little hint of green. To show you what I mean, here it is between my Brown Cav. and a Black Borsalino. It has a black hassidic pleated bow. It is a heavier weight felt. The Cavanagh Edged felt has been sitting around for 40 or more years waiting to be made into a hat. A rare find. Thank you Gary!

Feb0220119.jpg

Feb0220118.jpg

Feb0220117.jpg

Feb0220116.jpg

Feb0220115.jpg

Feb0220113.jpg

Feb0220111.jpg

Feb02201110.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
I forgot to say that the hat was delivered at my request open crowned. 5" exactly (not 5 1/4") crown. Tapered. Brim is 21/8 inches. Fits perfectly. I really like this hat. I was going to buy a charcoal colored hat, but I don't believe that will be necessary now. Thank you Gary White!

Feb0220112-1.jpg

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I forgot to say that the hat was delivered at my request open crowned. 5" exactly (not 5 1/4") crown. Tapered. Brim is 21/8 inches. Fits perfectly. I really like this hat. I was going to buy a charcoal colored hat, but I don't believe that will be necessary now. Thank you Gary White!

Isn't Dave Brown Hatters also in Buffalo? Have you ever gone to his shop? I liked a few of his models on the website. Gary White also has some I like, but I haven't heard from Dave Brown customers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24