Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gary White-The Custom Hatter

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Feb0220119.jpg

[/IMG]

Very nice!

fmw

One Too Many
Excellent. The hat has very nice proportions. It was designed with good design, if that makes sense. Congrats.

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Just received, my new GW (Gary White) The Custom Hatter. Shipped open crowned. It is a tan/nutmeg color. It has a true Cavanagh edge to it. It is super lightweight. The hat blank weighed 2 ounces before liner and sweat. The total weight now of the hat is 3.8 ounces. The hat is so lightweight that I could not get it to keep my center or side dents from popping back. So, I did a terrible thing and sprayed some felt stiffener to the top of the hat. Gary can make any hat or ribbon you want. What a guy!

TanCavanaughGW11.jpg

TanCavanaughGW10.jpg

TanCavanaughGW8.jpg

TanCavanaughGW7.jpg

TanCavanaughGW5.jpg

TanCavanaughGW12.jpg

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Thanks Alan. Here are two more that I just received last week from Gary.
Very light brown/taupe color, 100% Beaver, Cavanagh Edge. 5 inches exactly open crowned with a 2 1/8 inch brim.
VerylightbrownBeaverCavanaghEdgeSide-1.jpg
</table>
VerylightbrownBeaverCavanaghEdgeFront-1.jpg

Dark Blue, 5 inches exactly open crowned, with a 2 1/8 inch brim. Long haired, trimmed with Luring grease added.
DarkBluelonghairrabbitwithLeuringgrease-1.jpg

DarkBluelonghairrabbitwithLeuringgrease2-1.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great video Alan, thanks for posting it :).
I didn't know you could get a Cavanagh hat from a modern maker. Thats very cool.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I had not seen this-- thanks Alan, for posting! Love that accent, too. Almost sounded like western NY mixed in with a bit of North Carolina. I didn't know Gary did the Boardwalk Empire lids. I've had a photo of Buscemi's stingy silver belly/sand homburg saved on my computer for years. Your neighbor Dave Brown has a photo of his version of that hat on his website, but it is clearly not the same (nice hat regardless).

Here's my contribution to this thread, which I got from eBay last year:

011ldq.jpg

001crp.jpg

This hat has the most lightweight and thin felt I've ever seen. It also has a cool mesh liner.

jll7.jpg

pj5s.jpg

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's only because the bodies he has with Cavanagh Edges are decades old. No modern felter still makes them.

Brad
Thanks Brad, That makes sense. I remember reading about the lost art of the Cavanagh edge in your article. I assumed all of those hat bodies were long gone.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I think I read once on the lounge that Wincester could still make a Cav edge but the cost would be so high that it wouldn't be worth it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think I read once on the lounge that Wincester could still make a Cav edge but the cost would be so high that it wouldn't be worth it.

'Tis true. Six or eight years ago, Richard at Winchester made me three samples showing the process, one of which is a rough-blocked but unpounced and undyed hat body.

Brad

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Brad:

I know that you have more than a passing interest in the Cavanagh Edge. Have you ever looked into whether the same or similar effect could possibly be reproduced with a needle felting sewing machine, proper foot and adhesive?

John

That's only because the bodies he has with Cavanagh Edges are decades old. No modern felter still makes them.

Brad

Correct... and the felted edges I've seen from Gary are somewhat different in character from the examples I've owned from Cavanagh, Knox, Borsalino or Stetson.

The "Donna" mentioned in the video is my wife, who brings her costume class from The University of Buffalo down to visit Gary each year - a tour that is always much anticipated and enjoyed.

My guess is the vintage C-crown block being used with a tolliker to shape the hat would have been used in the period for straw bodies rather than felt. I've also assumed Boardwalk Empire to be set in the 1920s rather than the 1930s. But who's to quibble.

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing this, which was shared with my by Lounge member Landman. Gary is a hard working one-man shop and a very nice fellow as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24