Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gas Flap

Davep

One of the Regulars
When the GI's hit the beaches at Normandy there was fear of a "gas attack" accordingly the trousers and wool shirts had gas flaps. Also their overgarments, i.e. HBT's were coated in a gummy stubstance to close the pours of the fabric from gas. The 101st Airborne landed with gas masks.

C

csmiller

MPicciotto said:
I have a cotton khaki shirt that has a gas flap. Anyone else seen that?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes, I own a khaki one and have seem them fairly often on E-Bay. They are there to lessen the amount of skin that can be irritated by or absorb any type of gas or chemical agent. Fortunately, they weren't needed.

Craig

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
There was a real fear of Gas in WWII. Airborne Jumpsuits were saturated with a chemical agent. It caused the suit to be un-breathable and smelly. They were usually rid of when a chance arose. Some say that is why D-Day uniforms are rare. Gas masks were the first things dumped and the carriers used for a carry alls. I think the flaps were so that the gas wouldn't settle on the skin. Some gasses are blistering agents. There is some News footage from one of the Iraq / Iran wars showing victims of this type of gas. It's horrible. Just cut out the flaps I'm sure they did back then.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, ha!.... is that collar flap on Gen. Macarthur's shirts a "gas flap"?

macarthur-sml-1.jpg

I've only seen it on shirts he wore but never on general issue shirts.

-dixon cannon

cco23i

A-List Customer
And remember, the airborne troops also wore their wool uniforms (with gas flaps) under thier 1942 jump uniforms.

Scott

Feraud

Bartender
Dixon Cannon said:
Ah, ha!.... is that collar flap on Gen. Macarthur's shirts a "gas flap"?

macarthur-sml-1.jpg

I've only seen it on shirts he wore but never on general issue shirts.

-dixon cannon

Just speculatin' on a hypothesis here but... juding from the photo, the strap on his shirt is similar to work shirts. I would assume it is derived from this style rather than a gas flap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot