Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gas is gettin' crazy high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feraud

Bartender
jamespowers said:
I think the other question that makes more sense is why do people commute 50-100 miles each way to work everyday?
I could make an arguement for a far commute. I work in N.Y.C. and live just outside of it in Queens. My neighborhood that I currently live and grew up in is going to Heck in a handbasket!! Developers are buying all the private homes and putting up apartment buildings. People are moving in the neighborhood who do not believe in putting trash in garbage bags, keeping an eye on their childrens whereabouts, and having any sort of respect for where they live.

My wife and I are truly disgusted with this area and are thinking about moving. Our choies are: a - Move farther away from the city creating a longer commute or b - moving to another state( my hopes) and working relatively close to the job.

I think no one wants to commute 50-100 miles a day. I am getting to the point where if I need to travel far to escape the garbage that people call their "neighborhood" then I would do it.

Feraud said:
I could make an arguement for a far commute. I work in N.Y.C. and live just outside of it in Queens. My neighborhood that I currently live and grew up in is going to Heck in a handbasket!! Developers are buying all the private homes and putting up apartment buildings. People are moving in the neighborhood who do not believe in putting trash in garbage bags, keeping an eye on their childrens whereabouts, and having any sort of respect for where they live.

My wife and I are truly disgusted with this area and are thinking about moving. Our choies are: a - Move farther away from the city creating a longer commute or b - moving to another state( my hopes) and working relatively close to the job.

I think no one wants to commute 50-100 miles a day. I am getting to the point where if I need to travel far to escape the garbage that people call their "neighborhood" then I would do it.

I think decision b would be my choice if I were in your shoes. The thing that keeps developers inspired is when people will pay anything to live in squalor. There is no place worth living in that would make me want to commute 100 miles.
I am thinking of doing b just to get away from high taxes and a plethora of the entitlement mode of thinking that abounds out here.
Anyone live in Rockport Texas? It looks good on paper.

regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
James -- The only thing I know about Rockport, TX, is that it is the resort the rich folks in Houston go to in the summer. My good friend's parent and sibling have or have had summer homes there.

My friend loves Rockport, unless a hurricane is blowing their way....

As for Paradise, where I live, people cannot afford homes anymore. I know folks to travel from Riverside County (Temecula) to San Diego to work, and, while the commute is not 100 miles, it is s-l-o-w as death. Too much traffic, now -- that, I won't miss when I leave here in October.

Also, we have the highest gas prices in the nation, I kid you not.

karol

K.D. Lightner said:
James -- The only thing I know about Rockport, TX, is that it is the resort the rich folks in Houston go to in the summer. My good friend's parent and sibling have or have had summer homes there.

My friend loves Rockport, unless a hurricane is blowing their way....

As for Paradise, where I live, people cannot afford homes anymore. I know folks to travel from Riverside County (Temecula) to San Diego to work, and, while the commute is not 100 miles, it is s-l-o-w as death. Too much traffic, now -- that, I won't miss when I leave here in October.

Also, we have the highest gas prices in the nation, I kid you not.

I would figure that they would have a winter home there because the waether should be warmer there in winter than in some of the eastern states. The other thing is that Rockport housing is much cheaper than it is here. I could sell my house here and move into a house twice the size there. A summer home might be interesting to have though. ;)
I was sure someone would finally bring up housing prices. :p My problem is that you burn even more gas and cause more pollution just sitting there in traffic. That is not to mention the time wasted, cost of gas and then housing cost. When you put the cost of all the ancillary things together, you pay for the lower housing price with all the other factors you have to deal with. :kick: I suppose I was lucky enough to buy at the bottom of the market here in 1995. The property is now worth four times what I paid for it! :confused: :eek:

Regards to all,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Yesterday
1985 Chevy Sprint
Fuel Type Regular
MPG (city) 41
MPG (highway) 43

Today with battery assist (hmmm, little odd, doesn't
seem like the electricity helps as much as it did when
companies were touting 100% electric cars about 8
years ago)
2005 Honda Civic HYBRID
Fuel Type Regular
MPG (city) 48
MPG (highway) 47

The Electric cars were pretty promising though I guess
they weren't using enough gass to make it feasable for
automakers. GM has recalled them all and is having
them scrapped.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/04/09/electric.cars.ap/

hatflick1

Practically Family
GAS, A REAL STEAL

On the news recently there have been stories about folks filling up, then driving off, in effect stealing the gas. One poor station owner was shot in Alabama over fifty-two bucks worth, or some such. How does that happen? I live in L.A. where you either go up to the man in the glass booth and have a "twenty bucks on 2" one-sided conversation at which point he takes your money and you go pump. Or, you swipe a card and enter a zip code. I'm not connecting the dots. (I'm paying about $2.70/per.) Happy Motoring!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gas then and now

I was going through some old papers at my grandmother's house the other day and ran across a reciept for a 1922 Dodge Brother's Touring Car (their first car). They paid about $670 for the car, got a "front safety bumper" extra for $14, and 15 gallons of gas at .27 per gallon.

Now, .27 per gallon sounds good untill you figure what the average person was making in 1922 (same for the price of the car). Of course there are a lot of other things to consider in the "then vs now" arguement, but I can't help but think there is something more going on with the dramatic increase in gas prices over the past several months.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Ironically, that gas for 27 cents per gallon in 1922 adjusted for inflation works out to $2.79 current dollars, roughly the price I paid for a gallon of premium gas in Houston a couple days ago.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Did the right thing, man...

if there is any work involved, don't call me :) Feild Kitchen, eh,,,sounds like work.

Seriously though, next time your down this way and have any time to kill let me know.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well so far I think I most of you beat, when I was in the Navy stationed in Long Beach I remember buying gas for 19 cents a gallon. No kidding, it was great as a serviceman, the cheapest liberty we had was just driving around looking at the sights.

On a related topic to gas prices, am I the only one who thinks there has to be some sort of consipracy on the part of big oil to suppress development of another type of engine or one that is much more fuel efficent? I mean come on, the basic design of the gasoline engine at it's core design hasn't changed that much since it's inception. All these years of technological advancement of putting men on the Moon and robots on Mars and all they can come up with is a electric-gas hybrid.

I know, I know conspiracy theories make you sound like you belong on "Out There T.V." but this has just never made sense to me. Am I the only one???

fedoralover

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I invented a carburator that burned water, but 'they' had me killed.

I think it behooves all of the oil companies to keep prices high and I also think they conspire.

America gets most of it's oil from the Western Hemisphere for crying out loud. There should be no reason that oil prices are as high as they are.

SappySwami

Familiar Face
Maybe a passenger version of this will go into production...

Back in February I was talking to my cousin about driving up to my house, about 60 miles away, and she said she'd have to see if she could find money for gas. It was funny because I never thought about it, since I don't drive. I think about it now, though, with public transportation about to raise prices.

We also pay taxs on gas, though, with the amount of subsidies the US gives to oil companies. Which was recently increased a few billion. Crazy indeed.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Invade Venezuela! :p

I've seen gas at $3.08 here. I laughed, drove 5 miles and paid $2.69.

Just last year, I was upset if gas got over $2.00 / gal. I'm upset to say I'd be GLAD to pay that now.

Good thing I offloaded my 8 MPG land barge and switched to something small, ligt and nimble. I'd be in serious debt right now if I hadn't.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Check it out

capt.gagb10409010035.katrina_oil_gagb104.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy