Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Gatsby - "Remake"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
October, 03 2010 — Australian, Baz Luhrmann talked about a remake of The Great Gatsby back in December of 2008 soon after he acquired the rights to the story and he was talking about moving fast on the rights, something that hasn't really happened, but there's now some rumours appearing about casting on the film. They're big rumours with Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, and Amanda Seyfried all being rumoured to be starring in the film, although the rumours are far from fact it would seem....Visit Filmstalker for the full story. Restricted feeds to protect content.

http://www.liquida.com/blog-news/11642945/baz-luhrmann-the-great-gatsby-leonardo-dicaprio/

dicaprio.jpg

" would it not be be interesting, if they moved the story, to the late 1930's early 1940's?"

Edward

Bartender
Di Caprio would be a fantastic Gatsby, and Maguire I can very much see as Nick Carraway. Actually, I can also see Dicaprio turning in a fine performance as Tom Buchanan. It is, in my opinion, the finest novel in the English language and really does deserve a good screen adaptation. The Robert Redford film had its limits, let's just say. The made for television version in the nineties wasn't bad, but lacked a certain life. Provided Luhrmann was faithful to the story and didn't try to turn it into some ghastly moulin Rouge affair, I would welcome him taking a shot at it.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Coincidentally, I am re-reading Gatsby right now, about thirty years after the my first reading. Fitzgerald had a way with words, but I do not know if I would see any film version the book. (I did not see the Redford version, but not out of some stand on principles, just wasn't interested.)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I just wish they would release the Alan Ladd version.
As long as I'm dreaming, I wish a print was found of the one with William Powell as the garage owner.

Sincerely.
The Wolf

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Please , leave Scott Fitzgerald's "Great Gatsby" alone ...

you know... it's so sad, so pathetic, to see Hollywood going down like this ... remake after remake ... somebody should finally tell them ... enough is enough ... i feel so sorry for them.... if they are brain dead fine, only don't impose this on the public.... have a heart! omg!

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Remakes can often be tedious but I think they're a good thing if it will expose more people to the literary version.
I also think Leonardo DiCaprio would make a great Gatsby. I think he has that "look"

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dicaprio and Tobey McGuire...I just don't see it. They're both rather...weasily and slight of stature. McGuire perhaps, but Dicaprio - just cannot see it. Not at all the bearing and somewhat larger than life carriage, charm, intensity that Gatsby needs.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
You know, there is something about the young Redford that I found appealing playing Jay Gatsby... the way he said "old boy" and just the way he looked. He seemed so comfortable in the role. Perhaps I am imagining this, I am rather tired. But I found him to be the best part of the film. Who could play Gatsby in a modern remake? I honestly cannot think of a single actor easily... I can think of any number of others actors for supporting roles, such as Tom Buchanon or Nick Carraway but Gatsby? I'm stumped. How interesting.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
i've seen the 1949 Ladd version, and it's easily the best film treatment to date, but I have to agree with those who feel that this novel is unfilmable.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
i've seen the 1949 Ladd version, and it's easily the best film treatment to date, but I have to agree with those who feel that this novel is unfilmable.

It seems as though most books are unfilmable, not that the film-makers turn it into something unrecognisable, but that the mulitple layers of a story, as they unfold in your mind, are impossible to translate to sight and sound.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dicaprio and Tobey McGuire...I just don't see it. They're both rather...weasily and slight of stature. McGuire perhaps, but Dicaprio - just cannot see it. Not at all the bearing and somewhat larger than life carriage, charm, intensity that Gatsby needs.
And what did you think of the performances given by the previous actors portraying Gatsby, Allan Ladd and Robert Redford?

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
DiCaprio is a 'light weight' actor still to fill this role. He's 'getting better' and maturing (as shown in Shutter Island), but still not 'up there' to do a role like this justice.

I'd actually lean towards a British actor on this one (as there seem to be so many good Brit Actors these days that are in American movies and TV Series with American accents 'so good' that most Americans don't realise they are Brits!). As the character needs to be an Anglo-American type of persona.

Fingers crossed anyway, that they cast it right!! watch the space...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
DiCaprio is a 'light weight' actor still to fill this role. He's 'getting better' and maturing (as shown in Shutter Island), but still not 'up there' to do a role like this justice.

I'd actually lean towards a British actor on this one (as there seem to be so many good Brit Actors these days that are in American movies and TV Series with American accents 'so good' that most Americans don't realise they are Brits!). As the character needs to be an Anglo-American type of persona.

Fingers crossed anyway, that they cast it right!! watch the space...

He was pretty good in that Boston Irish Crim pic...

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
Yep, he was good in The Departed (the Boston one). He's getting better and starting to find his niche, but just not right for Gatsby, me thinks! If Hugh Laurie (of House and Wooster fame) had been younger, what do you reckon...? or Rupert Penry-Jones (of Whitechapel, 39 Steps, Spooks fame)...? Or...and here's another leap of faith, David Tennant (the last Dr Who actor).

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Yep, he was good in The Departed (the Boston one). He's getting better and starting to find his niche, but just not right for Gatsby, me thinks! If Hugh Laurie (of House and Wooster fame) had been younger, what do you reckon...? or Rupert Penry-Jones (of Whitechapel, 39 Steps, Spooks fame)...? Or...and here's another leap of faith, David Tennant (the last Dr Who actor).

A young Hugh Laurie in '20s attire would immediately bring Bertie Wooster to mind.

rue

I don't know if I really like Gatsby being remade, but if it has to be done... I can see Leo as Gatsby, because he does a good job at playing boyish but uppity characters, but I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt for Nick Carraway. Mostly I really hope it's not in 3D :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda