Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Blade Runner Movie NOT a remake!

ClaireD

New in Town
Both movies, old and the recent one, are great atmospheric masterpieces. But slow paced storytelling is not what people want to see in a movie theater, especially if it's 2.5 hours long or something.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Both movies, old and the recent one, are great atmospheric masterpieces. But slow paced storytelling is not what people want to see in a movie theater, especially if it's 2.5 hours long or something.

Well they didn't want to see it when the original Blade Runner came out either. It did not do so well. People were hoping for a kind of Raiders meets Star Was and instead they got a ponderous, slow moving movie full of ideas that requires some reflection from the audience. Audiences have often preferred their movies to do the thinking for them. Probably the main reason why the Ford voice over was interposed on the director's cut.

Edward

Bartender
Well they didn't want to see it when the original Blade Runner came out either. It did not do so well. People were hoping for a kind of Raiders meets Star Was and instead they got a ponderous, slow moving movie full of ideas that requires some reflection from the audience. Audiences have often preferred their movies to do the thinking for them. Probably the main reason why the Ford voice over was interposed on the director's cut.

Mn. I think the Star Wars point was big part of it. That's why - when I saw the film for the first time in the late eighties, I was disappointed. Of course, watching it again in 2007 was a whole different animal. Similar experiences with Rebel Without a Cause.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
And strangely enough, the marketing for Blade Runner here featured photos of Ford in Indy gear with the line - "The star or Raiders of the Lost Ark and the director of Alien bring you..." something about a thrill ride.

Most of the people who went here were hoping for a fantasy action film with laser guns. I personally didn't mind that BR was nothing like Star Wars as I had zero interest in that cheesy movie.

The original movie takes a while to enter your system. By 1985 it was my favorite movie. I think I've seen it about 40 times. I have not seen the sequel. You can't go home again....

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
And strangely enough, the marketing for Blade Runner here featured photos of Ford in Indy gear with the line - "The star or Raiders of the Lost Ark and the director of Alien bring you..." something about a thrill ride.

That I didn't know - but then in 1982 I was only eight; I wasn't the target market, and my parents didn't like scifi at all (not that I recall them ever going to the cinema without us until we were in our late teens at least), so it didn't really cross my radar until later. I think the first I knew of it might have been seeing a Corgi toy based on the flying car.

Most of the people who went here were hoping for a fantasy action film with laser guns. I personally didn't mind that BR was nothing like Star Wars as I had zero interest in that cheesy movie.

I suspect al ot of folks didn't get the references either.... I know I 'got' it only after having seen a whole bunch of noir. (I hear a similar thing is believed to have been behind the relative flop of Rango. Wonderful little film, but too few people nowadays - and this was pre-Westworld giving it a boost as well - understood the Western tropes it satirised.)

The original movie takes a while to enter your system. By 1985 it was my favorite movie. I think I've seen it about 40 times. I have not seen the sequel. You can't go home again....

We missed the sequel in the cinema. I've not seen it yet - I will, because I'm curious, but I'm open to be convinced it wasn't the worst idea since Laverne Cox stood in for Tim Curry....

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I was lucky when I saw Blade Runner as I had just discovered noir so I went in thinking of the movie as a 1930's Private Dick film set in the future. Nevertheless, I didn't actually think much of Ford in the role (he was a bit of a schmuck compared to Bogie) but in later years I grew to understand his performance better.

The film was a bit over my head (theme wise) because I had never seen anything like it. The first few years were just me looking in awe at the art direction and effects. BR was one of those films that showed every month at one of our repertory cinemas so we would go regularly when we were feeling low, just to get a boost and imagine what cinema could be.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Rutger Hauer has died after a short illness, just 75:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rutger...atty-cause-of-death-short-illness-2019-07-24/

Truly one of the coolest actors ever. I was 15 when Blade Runner came out, and man, did I want to be like Roy Batty. Not Dekker, not the Edward James Olmos character (cool though), but Batty.

Rutger.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Truly one of the coolest actors ever. I was 15 when Blade Runner came out, and man, did I want to be like Roy Batty. Not Dekker, not the Edward James Olmos character (cool though), but Batty.
I wanted to be Deckard, but yeah, sad about Hauer. That movie made him unforgettable, though.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The first Blu-ray I ever bought, in 2012, was Blade Runner, whichever edition it was, no narration, director's cut, etc., etc.

I have yet to watch it for reasons I cannot explain.

That will change this coming weekend on return from temporary duty.

I'll be imagining the attack ships on fire off the Shoulder of Orion...

Something came to my mind, now.

Blade Runner 1

Why are Roy and Pris back to J.F. Sebastian's apartment, after Roy killed him on leaving Tyrell Corp.?? I mean, Roy is much too intelligent to do such a risk. Before He went to Tyrell, with J.F., He could easily have told Pris, to leave the apartment and hide on an agreed place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ