Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General thread about quilted-jackets

Yeah, these quilted jackets are used a lot in proper motorcycle jackets as removable liners. They literally look exactly like the ones above, with the elastic cuffs and all. I just can't see them as actual jackets either.

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
What a classy thing to say.
Maybe I should have explained better, feel bad the way I worded that. Was in China many many years ago in a poor part of the country during winter. People wore quilted jackets as well as trousers continuously 24/7. It was for most of them part of their only set of clothes they owned which they never changed. They spent the entire winter in them because they had no heating in their open drafty homes let alone comfortable bedding. The impression stuck and when I see quilted jackets I'm reminded of the poverty I saw.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I should have explained better, feel bad the way I worded that. Was in China many many years ago in a poor part of the country during winter. People wore quilted jackets as well as trousers continuously 24/7. It was for most of them part of their only set of clothes they owned which they never changed. They spent the entire winter in them because they had no heating in their open drafty homes let alone comfortable bedding. The impression stuck and when I see quilted jackets I'm reminded of the poverty I saw.
I see what you mean; around my parts affordable quilted jackets are usually worn by slaughterhouse workers (in the cold rooms) who are usually min wage workers. The only other people I see wearing them are the "ladies who lunch" at the other end of the economic scale obviously.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Alex Baldwin wears these sorts of jackets often. I pulled my older Barbour out of the back of the closet on the weekend and it fits great since it's the older Liddesdale model with a shaped torso, although an other inch in the sleeves would be preferable. I'm tempted to try make one myself.

[url=https://postimg.cc/nMGHhq37]
5793796-6355161-Rainy-days-are-Mondays-Baldwin-has-not-let-his-r.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I think the earliest quilted jacket of any sort I have ever seen was a quilted 'bed jacket', all-nylon, from the fifites. A bed jacket s something you don't see so much now, but they were popular with older people, particularly better-off older people, who spent much of the day bed-bound - like a sort of short, cape/jacket crossover with sleeves that was just long enough to keep the top half of the body warm when sitting up in bed with the covers pulled up to the waist. I have also seen it used in dressing gowns from that period. As outerwear, I've never seen a pre-1980s example. As best as I can make out, it originated with the "country sports" shooting set, as a practical layering item that could provide additional warmth under a wax cotton outer layer or similar. Not my bag stylistically, but I can acknowledge their utility. Monitor is spot on with his comments re the zip-out lining jackets of mc leathers, a similar application.

Now, for all I think of this in a civilian context as a 1980s thing, there is a military precursor in the form of the quilt M65 jacket Winter liner that the US Army issued.... not sure from when, but potentially as early as with the first M65s in.... 1965. Originally intended purely as a liner, there were a lot of GIs took to wearing them around camp on their own. I am guessing that this could well have been a case of military uniform inspiring fashion. (Which would also fit with them coming into civilian fashion in the 80s, the decade in which the Vietnam conflict was such a big part of popular cinema).

Do you mean fabric jackets such as Norfolk game shooting clothing? Or quilted linings etc.
I like the shooting jackets, been looking around for a high end one second hand. The smell of old cartridge cases in the pockets is a must.

I'm intrigued by the tweed version; Bob Parrat have very nice ones for around a ton. A bit too modern for me, though, I think.

I see what you mean; around my parts affordable quilted jackets are usually worn by slaughterhouse workers (in the cold rooms) who are usually min wage workers. The only other people I see wearing them are the "ladies who lunch" at the other end of the economic scale obviously.

It has always been fascinating to me how some garments are worn as workwear by the very poor and as casualwear by the rich alike - though always with subtle variations in the rich people version - usually colours that make it impractical for workwear. Moleskins and corduroys fit right into this - in darker colours they were popular trousers for the working man; in brighter hues, they are still common toff casual wear. Similar, I suppose, to jeans - cheap denim long having been, and still being, the choice of the manual worker, while rich folks now spend hundreds on designer versions you'll never see being used as 'workwear' per se.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting to note the civilian one was invented by an ex-military (USAF) man according to that - I wonder how far his experience of nylon military kit played in there...

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage, do you know what Barbour jacket that is?
No idea, it's just a random photo.

The Liddesdale is the basic Barbour model, or at least it was in the past. I've posted about them before here or maybe on AAAT, the Liddesdale used to have some shaping to the torso but at some point I went to get a new one and they had no shaping and had no shape. A few months back I looked around for a cheap one (not necessarily Barbour) but it appears both cheap and expensive ones are shapeless, assuming you don't want a blinged up slim-fit one. Anyways, I wish you luck in your search and keep us posted on what you find.

Just looked at the Barbour website and they still offer the Liddesdale. Looks modernized slightly (more snaps) but who knows, advertising photos are always misleading.

Last edited:

So33

One of the Regulars
I've been liking the Filson quilted jackets, especially the one that give the option to zip into the oilcloth coats. Been waiting for them to make it to Outlet Store. I'm very patient and always polite when I ask them when?when? when?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points