Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, I need your assistance! WWII, South Pacific film clip.

Jools

New in Town
Somewhere, in the vast number of WWII experts, perhaps someone can help me.

There was a series shown in the 1960s/1970s, repeated in the 1980s called The World at War. (I am not entirely sure that this was the actual name of what I saw.) Basically, it was a series of newsreels about the war, in black and white.

There was one short series about WWII troop carriers in the South Pacific. Unbelievably enough, as I watched, I saw my own father, sitting with a group of men on deck, playing poker! He was in the 110th (I believe) Infantry, from Washington. I know he was on Luzon (where he won the Bronze Star.)

IF anyone has seen, or can direct me to, the correct website OR has seen this series, I would be enormously grateful. I searched the Pathe website, and one about newsreels, to no avail. Any ideas?

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Hi Jools,

"World at War" is available on DVD at Amazon. Also, In the 50's there was "Victory at Sea" which was a TV series using B/W newsreel footage. I think it is also available on DVD.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

John

Jools

New in Town
It might have been Victory at Sea. Thank you, gentlemen! IF anyone comes across any actual footage let me know, and I would me most grateful.

Chas

One Too Many
You should be able to request your Dad's war records from the archives in Washington. That would also be good to know - because I'll bet you that the original footage that Victory at Sea used is still kicking around; The Library of Congress, I'd wager.

Jools

New in Town
Thank you all! I still have a lot of his war memorabilia, including a Japanese company flag and sword. I had to look up a lot of his stuff when I wrote his obit a couple years ago. I had to find his discharge papers to find out his unit- turns out that the article about him in Stars & Stripes had a typo!

BTW, if anyone has any interest in a first-hand written account (typewritten book) about the siege of Okinawa, let me know. My godfather was a ship captain- I'd have to find it to tell what kind, but they shot down a number of kamikaze planes. I'm sure that some historian out there might be interested to read it.

Davep

One of the Regulars
World at War was a pretty expansive series, while most of it was in the European Theater, there was some episodes covering the Pacific Theater

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Victory at Sea was produced in the early 50's, and set to a musical score by Richard Rodgers. It had a very dramatic, one might say melodramatic, voice over. The musical score is really a true classic in its own right. It was all in black and white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails