Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Those little coin-carriers were popularly called sovereign-cases, Gin, since they were supposed to hold sovereign-coins. You could buy double-cases, that would hold sovereigns and half-sovereigns, as well.

Ah, thanks, Shangas! I was actually thinking that it might just possibly fit 2 or 3 of the modern British 1lb coins. I have one stashed away; I should try it out and see if it fits.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Well, there's the tie cabinet I just finished.

tiecabinetclosed.jpg

tiecabinetopen.jpg

I have been giving some thought to getting a pattern for a vest and using up several of the tanned deer skins I have sitting around. It would be cool under a tweed jacket.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
lb = pound weight.

Pound sterling = British currency.

Pre-decimal British and Australian currency was pounds, shillings and pence (pennies), abbreviated as L/S/D. Often seen is shop displays, probablyeasierthanwriting the £ symbol.

I can't remember exactly how it went. I think there were 12 pence in a shilling, and maybe 12 shillings in a pound. Coins were in ha'penny (half a penny), penny, tu'ppence (two pence), thr'pence (three pence), sixpence (six pennies) and the shilling. I don't know where the sovereigns and half sovereigns came into it.

Next up was the pound, then there was guineas which was valued at one pound, one shilling.

I was only five years old when decimal currency came in here in 1966 so don't remember a lot.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
12d (pence) = 1s (shilling)

20s = 1L (Pound).

1 crown = 5s, or 1/4 pound.

1/2 crown = 2/6 (two shillings, sixpence).

1 sovereign (which is what G&T's case holds) = 1L, 1s. (one pound, one shilling).

1 GROAT = 4d.

...Yes it can get damn confusing!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
The standard was set in 1066, so it was the silly (Norman) French :D

Aha! Those pesky Frenchmen strike again. They were just doing it to make life hard for the English for centuries after!

Here's a single Albert I made, an improved model of a previous one:
albertsilver001.jpg

Here's the old version for comparison:
asalbert.jpg

The coin is my take on the modern Canadian version of Sherlock Holmes's famed gold sovereign; mine is a Canadian $1 coin, the loonie! Apparently this one is a commemorative first minting from the year the loonie was introduced.

Simonds

Vendor
Hi everyone, great thread,, there is a ton of talent here! My name is Simonds and I'm new to the lounge. I stumbled across this forum looking at newsboy caps online. I recently became a fan of the 8 paneled cap myself and thanks to my grandmother's teachings years ago, I have put the sewing machine into some use these past few months. I started with patterns that I purchased here in my town for a 6 panel cap, but after some researching I have discovered that the 8 panel seems to be the more popular cap with the vintage collectors. I since have made my own patterns and still tweak them daily. I have already seen some impressive detailed work here in the lounge and that is exactly what I have been needing to help me with my caps. Anyways,,here is a couple pics of some of my work. Hope you enjoy!

100_4843.jpg

100_4900.jpg

100_4895.jpg

100_4664.jpg

100_4266.jpg

100_4272.jpg

Simonds

Vendor
hot off the sewing machine,, reclaimed 100% wool in brown herringbone with some blue flakes. I pick up most of my wool from the local thrift store,,this cap was made from a jacket that looked to be from the 70's. The lining is silk from a pair of women's linen trousers.
100_4950-1.jpg

100_4951.jpg

100_4954.jpg

100_4953.jpg

100_4964.jpg

Last edited:

Simonds

Vendor
Great Thread- I make leather jackets and force people to look at them in the outerwear section (also rebuild motorcycles and in my previous life airplanes). I am trying my hand at simple tailoring here and there, am currently trying to re-build a shirt to fit me. At some point I'd like to try making some pants and shirts, but that's way down the road.

Tech question- I make my own patterns from vintage jackets and generally do o.k., but I have one hell of a problem with armholes. I measure ten times, double check as I cut and assemble, and still end up with an armscythe that is too long for the armhole. Anyone have any tricks? Suggestions?
Cheers
Mark

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

Amazing work! Good job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner