Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I don't want to post new thread and it's really what I made today. I sewed buttons for classic suspenders on trousers which has belt loops and now I'm not sure if it's at least a little correct. How does it look?
DSC_0425.jpg

Trombone

Familiar Face
that button placement looks fine, and don't worry about accurate when it comes to inside or outside, there are many different ways. I think there was a thread here somewhere that showed pants with the button placement where of the 3 pairs of buttons, there was one button inside and one outside in each pair. As long as they keep your pants up :p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Personally I prefer braces buttons to be sewn INSIDE, but there's no hard and fast rules about that stuff. If nothing else, the belt-loops provide a handy guide for button-placement.

Simonds

Vendor
A member of the lounge asked me if I made caps with flaps, so I have been trying it out on the cap pictured above to see what I can come up with.Here is my first attempt at flaps, let me know what you all think.
100_5789.jpg

Simonds

Vendor
This is a patchwork I made from other caps of mine, the wool's originally come from coats then cut up for caps and then taken apart and re-cut to a newer design of mine, the bill and button are from a work wear cap made with bull denim cotton.

100_5828.jpg

100_5820.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys,

In about a month's time, I'll be attending the Melbourne Pen Show. The exhibit I'm putting on will be a 1920s-30s style desktop display.

This being a pen-show, there's going to be ink...everywhere. And I tend to be a bit accident-prone.

I intend to dress up in 20s-style kit for the day, to complete the look. But I'm a bit worried about my shirtsleeves. The last time I went to the show, I had a minor mishap which resulted in ink on one of my shirtcuffs. Only a small stain, and it came out in the wash...but the threat lingers.

This year, to protect my sleeves, and to complete the period look that I have going on, I was thinking of making a pair of sleeve-protectors. These things:

sleeve_protector.jpg

Does anyone have any pointers about how I should go about making them? I undrestand that they're just made of cotton. I have an old black shirt lying around which nobody wants. I was thinking of taking the fabric from there to make the protectors. I have some elastic cord and such, to make the cinched-in ends of the protectors.

If anyone has any tips, let me know.

I figure it's just a matter of measuring one's forearms, and cutting two lengths of cloth, sewing up the raw edges, turning them into tubes, sewing in the hems and threading in the elastic to make the cinches. Is that about it? Or is it likely to be more complicated than that? Insight is appreciated.

Or can I simply cut the sleeves off the old shirt, hem in the edges, and add the elastic?

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
gents, i've almost finished a new suit. the fabric is an 18oz mini-herringbone with electric blue pinstripes. the stripes are just over an inch apart. it doesn't have a 40s feel about it, so is most probably 1930s, but could be earlier:

_1010298.jpg

_1010290.jpg

_1010291.jpg

inspiration for the suit:

img028.jpg

img029.jpg

img027.jpg

ScreenShot2012-09-19at153329.png

Lloyd20Harold_03.jpg

photos of finished suit will be posted next week.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925