Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
No problem, Raider. The reason I asked is because I built a set of Colt 1911 holsters out of sintra (PVC) and vinyl for my Halloween costume, based on the dual holsters that Johnny Depp used in Public Enemies.

I want to replicate them now in leather, but I'm not sure of the weight, or where to get the metal "spring clamps" that will be needed to secure the 1911's from falling out of the open-side leather holsters....;)

S6304885.jpg

S6304892.jpg

Rob

Geez, Rob--that's exactly the kind of holster I've been looking for for years! If you figure out the clamps and decide to cut leather, would you be willing to add a second to the production-run?

As for me, once my hands quit shaking for a little bit I'll start the detailing and car-naming to finish my HO scale 20th Century Limited... then comes the waiting for the new couplers to release for sale and buying enough of 'em, and the figuring out how to refit the tailsign since Tomar's needs accuracy-work...

And, I just figured out how to put an assist on Abomination's bayonet, so I may be prototyping that soon depending on what the lawyers and my cop buddies say about the concept-sketches.

Thanks, Rob--the hard part looks like the shoulder loops and back strap, adding some belt tie-downs and then figuring out adjustment for my shorter stature...

As for the clamp, you might try just having a hunk of spring-steel bent to the shape of a 1911 slide's cross-section with the ends bent in and then back out a little... I'd also make it about a 2"-long or so "gripping section", with felt or fabric (edit: just discussed this with my mother, and she suggests suede since it's durable and will help keep the weapon polished) around it to prevent metal-on-metal scratching the finish. (Or, if it's 2 layers of leather, sandwich the clamp between 'em...)

I have a referral to a guy on another board for a different spring problem (part of Abomination's bayonet, actually), I'll see if he can tell me anything and get back to you.

Either way, full suede lining should help protect the finish. Is that body armor between the holsters and vest?

I'll noodle around Blocker's site, too.

BTW, on your thread about 'em at RPF and the Thompson Tangent: mechanically, the only difference between a '21 and '28 is in the Blish lock and springs IIRC--cosmetically they're identical, and most of the original '28s were modified from unsold '21s. (Hence the "'21/'28 Overstamp" variant...) For modern applications like the Dillinger Sling without going NFA, the 1927A-5 is the best bet if you got a long enough torso. (Has to be 26" long if you're gonna have the vertical grip without going NFA "AOW".)

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Is that body armor between the holsters and vest?

Period Bulletproof vest. ;)

Thanks for the info on the '21/'28...like my M1A1, when I finally pick up a '27, I'll do the SBR stamp option on it, too....I want it to look as authentic as possible! Maybe even get Paul Krogh to do some magic on the selector switches and '21 details for me...;)
Rob

If you go an A-5 and can add a sling without it SBR'ing, go that route--the A-5 is legally a "pistol", at least in ATF and Washington State eyes. Looks like Dillinger had an adapter made to connect his sling into the detachable stock's mount...

The original '27s were also converted '21s, but the AO Westy/Kahr version is a different beast designed to only look "similar". IIRC Doug Richardson was gearing up to do a more "dead ringer" semi-only version. (EDIT: Was gonna refer you to another board, but if you know Paul you know the Iannamicos...)

On the holsters and clips, going back to topic, I figure a longer clip would have more grip on the iron making an accidental presentation less likely. (Or moving the existing one down toward the muzzle and adding a second up by the rear-sights...)

tehrm

New in Town
how pleasantly humbling

I thought I was pretty swank after making this waisecoat/vest, but after thumbing through this thread I see I've a long way to go for any sort of bragging rights!

Some months back (way before all the recent Sherlock Holmes hoopla), I developed a desire for a proper, multi-function waistcoat/vest. I tend toward the self-learning, so I decided to sew one up myself. This is also my first sewing project. Forgive the mismatched shirt/tie, but they were handy.

Bugsy

One Too Many
tehrm said:
I thought I was pretty swank after making this waisecoat/vest, but after thumbing through this thread I see I've a long way to go for any sort of bragging rights!

Some months back (way before all the recent Sherlock Holmes hoopla), I developed a desire for a proper, multi-function waistcoat/vest. I tend toward the self-learning, so I decided to sew one up myself. This is also my first sewing project. Forgive the mismatched shirt/tie, but they were handy.

You have absolutely no need to apologize for your first sewing effort. I can barely thread a needle and sew on a button. Congratulations to you. :eusa_clap

tehrm

New in Town
That's kind of you, Bugsy. I was pleased with how it turned out.

It was a surprisingly straightforward process. I don't know that I'd recommend this project for a cold start into sewing (start with ties, maybe), but if you have someone to loosely supervise it's not bad. I chatted with my mum about pattern reading, sewing machine basics, etc., and continued on my own from there. $30 and a brief twenty hours* later-- waistcoat.

I also learned from this that I have a fairly long torso. The back of the waistcoat is about an inch and a half short, lol. Not so bad that I'll never wear it, but enough excuse (and confidence/excitement) to sew another one.

*This includes the learning process, obsessing over perfection, thrice measuring, nervous pacing/anxious procrastination-- actual project time was probably less than 10 hours

Lokar

A-List Customer
Nick D said:
DSC00866.jpg

Pair of spats, cotton twill outer and heavy cotton lining, MOP buttons, corded keyhole buttonholes, and hand stitched eyelets. I made the pattern off a pair of old felt spats I have. I'll be putting together a tutorial for these, but I still have to finish the buttonhole one first.

Nick, did you ever make the tutorial? I'd love to have a go myself.

Edit: Both the buttonhole _and_ the spats tutorials. Also, how do you launder your collars? Do you do it yourself, or have it done by professionals?

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Nice work tehrm, it was my New Year's resolution to learn how to sew, and I've got a waistcoat pattern so you've inspired me.

Just a thought about waistcoat shortness:
If it's from a vintage pattern, maybe it seems short if you were wearing modern low-waisted trousers - high waisted old style trousers may cover the gap?

Bugsy

One Too Many
tehrm said:
That's kind of you, Bugsy. I was pleased with how it turned out.

It was a surprisingly straightforward process. I don't know that I'd recommend this project for a cold start into sewing (start with ties, maybe), but if you have someone to loosely supervise it's not bad. I chatted with my mum about pattern reading, sewing machine basics, etc., and continued on my own from there. $30 and a brief twenty hours* later-- waistcoat.

I also learned from this that I have a fairly long torso. The back of the waistcoat is about an inch and a half short, lol. Not so bad that I'll never wear it, but enough excuse (and confidence/excitement) to sew another one.

*This includes the learning process, obsessing over perfection, thrice measuring, nervous pacing/anxious procrastination-- actual project time was probably less than 10 hours

I would have no idea where to start. Nick D makes all kinds of things, and I think Thunder21 is working on a suit. Too bad you don't make house calls.;)

cptjeff

Practically Family
tehrm said:

Shirt and tie look fine to me. And nice job on the waistcoat.

I wish I had access to a working sewing machine.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I couldn't wait on Nick's tutorial (lol!;) ), so I made my own for Halloween....

S6304954.jpg

Replete with fake buttonholes, velcro closures and elastic heel straps...(no hurry, Nick...I'm just kidding!)
Rob

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Lokar said:
Nick, did you ever make the tutorial? I'd love to have a go myself.

Edit: Both the buttonhole _and_ the spats tutorials. Also, how do you launder your collars? Do you do it yourself, or have it done by professionals?

Both are still part-finished, but I'll try to get them done. School and family commitments have kept me away from sewing much for a while, but I'll hopefully be able to get some more in now.

I do my collars myself, usually several at a time. Most I don't starch heavily, so cleaning and starching is much easier than for a very stiff collar. I'll spot clean in the sink when necessary, and put them in the machine with other whites if they get very soiled, which has worked quite well so far. Usually it's just hand washing.

alden405

A-List Customer
Griemersma said:
Actually made these back in October, just posting them now...

So, I wanted a pair of vintage style jeans for quite a while, but being pretty tall, never could bring myself to drop $170-$200 for a pair of LVC's that I couldn't even try on and that would most likely be too short to cuff in the long run. Found an old singer sewing machine at a thrift store for $10 and figured I'd give it a go at trying to make my own. Found a thread on Superfuture that detailed how to put together a pair of jeans, and it didn't seem that hard... Sourced some Cone XVOS redline denim off the internet-- the same stuff used for some of the 1947 Levi's repros --and only $3.75 a yard! For the pattern, I reverse engineered an old pair of 501's that fit reasonably well, added some length and modified the leg shape so that there is no taper at all-- totally straight from the knee down. I was trying to achieve that vintage 30's- 40's style cut. I don't have an overlocking machine, so I used bias tape for the exposed seams on the inside and used the selvage for the inside of the beltloops. The pockets are actually made from old flour sack material that I got off of eBay.

This is actually my second pair-- the first was just to sort of learn how to sew and how to construct them. A lot of work, and they aren't perfect, but there isn't anything about them that screams "homemade," and I'm pretty proud of them.

Anyhow, here's some pix:

4258549256_b61e1eec1d_o.jpg

4257725403_989cde18c7.jpg

Still need to get some rivets in 'em...

Awesome

went searching for that thread but couldnt find it

any links

thanks

Sam

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Watch Fob

Cool stuff on show, wish I could sew (may give it a go tonight - the missus is on a late shift and there's nowt on telly)

Here's a watch fob I made. It was going to be a necklace for a Christmas present, but it went a bit wrong so I'm keeping it. Not an original design, I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere.

fob.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot