Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Dakotanorth, I'm afraid I didn't take construction pictures for this, but I'll take some when I make the jacket. I just started a pair of spats, and I'll be taking lots of pictures for that to make a tutorial (I'll be doing the same when I make a pair of knee-high spats for my wife).

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've got them started, though I still need to find suitable buttons and get the buckles, but that shouldn't take long. Plus, now that I've got a scanner, I can scan in the pattern I made as well.

I'm also working on a tutorial for how I do corded keyhole buttonholes, but halfway through typing the captions last night the program stopped working and I lost it all :( So I'll have to start over, though at least I didn't lose the images.

DC3

New in Town
It is nice to see that other men have fun creating items. My wife taught me to sew over ten years ago when I wanted to make a robe. That started a string of creations that continues to this day. I've made robes, a duster, puffy shirts, a vest, lounge pants, head scrarfs, a balaclava, and a couple of king size quilts to name a few. Wedge these items inbetween doing loom beading, leather carving, and riding my motorcycle and I barely have time to write or even work.;)
I have to take some pictures, yeah throw a long love of photography in there, of my wifes latest creation and I will try to get some of my items done and post them.

David

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
DC3 said:
It is nice to see that other men have fun creating items.
How true. I learned to sew when I was about 13, and have been doing it (in one form or another) ever since. My male friends think I'm a nut; my wife just smiles. :rolleyes: My biggest project was in 1987-88, when I created and tailor-made six complete 18th Century French Aristocracy costumes (3 men and 3 women) for our wedding; I made everything, including the wigs and panniers...our theme was Baroness Orczy's "The Scarlet Pimpernel". I've learned a lot about clothing and sewing since then (dos and don'ts), and it's something I still enjoy doing, just as much as busting my knuckles and greasing my nails on my 1962 Ford Falcon hotrod! lol

And, welcome to the FL, Dave!:)
Rob

DC3

New in Town
232323232%7Ffp5366%3A%3Enu%3D3396%3E87%3A%3E%3B76%3EWSNRCG%3D326%3B%3A36868345nu0mrj
Thank you Rob. Nice to be here. What a project you did for your wedding! My wife did a period piece for our niece and that alone took two weeks and three fittings. 62"Falcon.... My mom had a blue one....ah memories. Skidded on some packed snow once when I wasn't suppose to be driving it. Busted up the left rear tailight when I hit some guys fence or a fire hydrant. Forgotton which really. I do remember getting it all fixed before my parents came home though. Reliable car as I remember. Today my motorcycle get my attention.
Nick; I was typing an outline for a new book series a while back and had just saved it before I went and got myself a drink. When I came back the computer was in the middle of a restart. I was lucky but the next morning went out and bought myself a free standing hard drive. Now everything is backed up onto it, and all documents are saved to it rather than the "C" drive. In an emergency I grab that one unit and to heck with the CPU. Yes I have separate disks for my books as well.
Took picture of some items I made today and uploaded them to my blog www.krabtree.blogspot.com. Could not get the transfer from snapfish to work with this sites upload. No doubt me.

tbrunke

Familiar Face
DC3 said:
232323232%7Ffp5366%3A%3Enu%3D3396%3E87%3A%3E%3B76%3EWSNRCG%3D326%3B%3A36868345nu0mrj
Thank you Rob. Nice to be here. What a project you did for your wedding! My wife did a period piece for our niece and that alone took two weeks and three fittings. 62"Falcon.... My mom had a blue one....ah memories. Skidded on some packed snow once when I wasn't suppose to be driving it. Busted up the left rear tailight when I hit some guys fence or a fire hydrant. Forgotton which really. I do remember getting it all fixed before my parents came home though. Reliable car as I remember. Today my motorcycle get my attention.
Nick; I was typing an outline for a new book series a while back and had just saved it before I went and got myself a drink. When I came back the computer was in the middle of a restart. I was lucky but the next morning went out and bought myself a free standing hard drive. Now everything is backed up onto it, and all documents are saved to it rather than the "C" drive. In an emergency I grab that one unit and to heck with the CPU. Yes I have separate disks for my books as well.
Took picture of some items I made today and uploaded them to my blog www.krabtree.blogspot.com. Could not get the transfer from snapfish to work with this sites upload. No doubt me.

Very nice stuff on your blog DC3. Welcome to the Lounge.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Vests

Nick D said:
Dakotanorth, I'm afraid I didn't take construction pictures for this, but I'll take some when I make the jacket. I just started a pair of spats, and I'll be taking lots of pictures for that to make a tutorial (I'll be doing the same when I make a pair of knee-high spats for my wife).

Thanks Nick D, I've been itching to try out a vest but I don't know much about building up the inside of a garment. I'd prefer to NOT make a vest that looks like the 90's hip-hop "I got it at Dee-Jaiz" kind of vest. :p
I guess I should read my books again and see if the info "sticks" this time!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
DSC00866.jpg

Pair of spats, cotton twill outer and heavy cotton lining, MOP buttons, corded keyhole buttonholes, and hand stitched eyelets. I made the pattern off a pair of old felt spats I have. I'll be putting together a tutorial for these, but I still have to finish the buttonhole one first.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Nick D said:
DSC00866.jpg

Pair of spats, cotton twill outer and heavy cotton lining, MOP buttons, corded keyhole buttonholes, and hand stitched eyelets. I made the pattern off a pair of old felt spats I have. I'll be putting together a tutorial for these, but I still have to finish the buttonhole one first.

You never cease to amaze me.

RobStC

A-List Customer

Warbaby said:
Those spats are absolutely beautiful, Nick! Can't wait to see the tutorial.

:eek:fftopic: Warbaby, just spotted your new (?) avatar photo. It's one that I've had in mind for an avatar (whenever I eventually got around to posting one). Great image, isn't it? It just cracks me up every time I look at it :). Some lovely JHL material around that I may well dip into for others, now that you got here first with this one.

Cheers,
Rob St.C

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yale Boat Crew jersey.

Currently working on a wool jersey from the Yale Boat Crew of 1927. Using photos from my own reference library such as this one (below) and many others for reference, fonts and dimensions. It will be (or is) a dark navy with off white letterings. Also horse hide elbow patches with X stitching.

YALEBOATCREW.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Done.

Based on vintage photos of Yale Rowing shirts. The leather elbow pads that I made, I decided to leave off in the end. The jumper/jersey is a pure fine wool 'itchy' little number from the 60's, which is very authentic to the era I'm after.

YALE011.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Paddy, sorry I missed this. Nice piece of work! It's a nice example of research for a project. Why did you leave off the elbow patches?

And I'll second the motion for cooler weather!

Cheers,
Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner