Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Methuselah, that's a neat little critter to have hanging off your watch chain. Might be neat to have an ant-eater type design, with the snout as the key for your watch.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
After almost three years I decided it was time to get a school tie. Of course, the tie avaliable from the school outfitter is terribly long, three times too thick, and rather shapeless. The green tie is a vintage Tootal tie, one of my favorites.

DSC06237.jpg

So I opened it up, took out the tip lining, the lining, the 1/8" thick (!) wool interfacing, and detached the three pieces of the tie fabric from each other. I then sewed the outer two pieces together, and mostly copied the shape of the Tootal tie, with two exceptions. Mine's a bit shorter, due to having to re-miter the seam from taking out the centre piece. Also, at the front I tried to copy the 1930s style of asymmetrical overlap with one corner rounded. It worked okay, but the next one will be better. The tips were hand-rolled and machine stitched, I used a thinner interface that I took out of a modern necktie I converted to a bowtie, and the back was slip-stitched by hand.

DSC06850.jpg

It looks like the green tie is much longer in the photo, but there's really only 1" difference, and it will work fine with the high-waist trousers I usually wear.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Bugsy :)

Posting this reminded me of these, made from modern silk neckties bought at the charity shop. The interfacing for the necktie in my last post came from the green tie for this bow. I made the pattern myself, and the backs are adjustable with grosgrain ribbon and sliders.

DSC06858.jpg

Bugsy

One Too Many
Nick D said:
Thanks, Bugsy :)

Posting this reminded me of these, made from modern silk neckties bought at the charity shop. The interfacing for the necktie in my last post came from the green tie for this bow. I made the pattern myself, and the backs are adjustable with grosgrain ribbon and sliders.

DSC06858.jpg

I so wish you were closer. Do you know how difficult it is to find diamond cut bowties here? :rolleyes:

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey folks I've been planning on starting a smallish line of leather and canvas goods. Here's a prototype wallet I built a while back. It's kind of rough but that's because it's completely hand made. I should have myself a nice industrial machine real soon which will refine my work a bit. If anyones interested in having me make them one pm me.

Doug C

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
That looks like a handy little wallet. Would you be willing to do custom work, too? I need a little case for my monocle. No hurry, I'm not even sure exactly what I'd like yet.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
My newest botch:

l_0b7e50fd358647a786af9392c70de71e.jpg

l_a6cbe1e406cd4cb3a677bf50fa085034.jpg

Normally I do more overgarments... but I wanted to have a pair of Khakis that fits me really well and I had a few yards of fabrics left for no other use...

djhatman

One of the Regulars
While I have not made them yet I will be. I am in the fashion program here in Salt Lake. One of the electives they officer in a millinery class where I will have to make 4 hats from start to finish. The class is not till the fall semester so it will be a while before any pics but they will be coming.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Finished totay and ready for shipping to a guy in Ireland... a basic to men´s outerwear :

l_f62c52b3236241f6a6770f409308d150.jpg

The pattern was crafted from two vintage Sweatshirts in really bad condition. I gave them a final use, deconstructed them and drafted a pattern in multiple sizes.
It´s made from pre- washed fabric... so cleaning is much easier and it will stay true tuo size.

Geesie

Practically Family
Nick D: What sort of interfacing do you use for your ties, and where do you get it? Also, where do you get the sliders?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oooh wow!!

I love old suitcases! That one's amazing, MB5. How long did it take you to make it? And what is it for? Long-haul travel? Overnight bag?...Dimensions? Details?

MB5

One of the Regulars
Shangas said:
Oooh wow!!

I love old suitcases! That one's amazing, MB5. How long did it take you to make it? And what is it for? Long-haul travel? Overnight bag?...Dimensions? Details?

The case is 20" x 12.4" x 7.6". The dimensions are based on a golden rectangle.
I have been working on and off since January.
The case is hand stitched leather with brass hardware and a plywood support structure.
I designed it as a weekend bag (thought it should fit enough for a week) that fits carry-on standards if I am ever brave/foolish enough to carry it in an airport.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Hepville said:
Normally I do more overgarments... but I wanted to have a pair of Khakis that fits me really well and I had a few yards of fabrics left for no other use...

That's a great pattern. What's the rise on those trousers?

Drew B

One of the Regulars
This is my contribution.

22744_466812910013_888165013_11178690_5903004_n.jpg

I made this a while back - I still haven't gotten around to staining it but meh. I'll get there. The photo is kindo poor quality but it was only taken on my phone.

The corner posts are recycled street post material - hardwood, pretty stuff, really old too. I got it from a bloke down the road for free. Good luck too, it would have cost about AU$800 to buy that kind of wood.

I still need to plug all my screw holes with dowel and stain it but - I'll get to that - eventually.

edit: by the way - the created item in question is the big thing..... the bed.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Drew B, MB5 and all the others: That´s really good looking craftsmanship you show us here!

That's a great pattern. What's the rise on those trousers?
Thank you, Creeping Past. What does rise mean in this context?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR