Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Here is my next project in a khaki gabardine wool.
DSC02684.jpg

Derek WC

Banned
Wow, we have some fantastic craftsmen on the lounge. :eusa_clap

I do mostly carpentry/cabinetry. Here's a few things I've made.

The truck and the shelf.
TruckShelf.jpg
[/IMG]
I was planning on painting the truck black with silver lines, but haven't gotten to it. Also thinking of putting veneer over the plywood supports, which I cut very crudely with a bandsaw. The doors and wheels move.
Side view.
TruckShelf2.jpg

Pen1.jpg

I've made many better ones, but this is the only one I have handy.

P.S. Does anybody know how to thread a Franklin Rotary 1927 electric sewing machine?

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
wow, just found this thread, lots of nifty stuff made by members here. I melt glass. I love to make marbles, but here are a few examples:

Beads:

6013_1076835286516_1395261571_30177053_6135401_n.jpg

Vortex Marble:

19752_1198867857254_1395261571_30460581_4905132_n.jpg

Another marb:

5453_1093277257555_1395261571_30220631_3952569_n.jpg

More:

6013_1076835246515_1395261571_30177052_6446591_n.jpg

A critter: ( I have made elephants, dogs, birds, and one poor sad dragon.)

6013_1076835126512_1395261571_30177049_7963897_n.jpg

This is me at the torch, I am making a pendant here, nearly ready to get a bail worked in, and to go from punty to kiln:

19752_1193622606126_1395261571_30450981_7257440_n.jpg

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
TheBeak, those are great, the colours are beautiful. How do you make the marbles spherical? It seems like with all the mixing of colours you couldn't use a mould, but I have no idea how glasswork works.

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
TheBeak, those are great, the colours are beautiful. How do you make the marbles spherical? It seems like with all the mixing of colours you couldn't use a mould, but I have no idea how glasswork works.

Thanks! I use what is sold as a "marble mold" to do the shaping, but the name is a bit of a misnomer as you could use any circular non flamible thing to do it with (I have heard of people making marbles with the end of a piece of old iron pipe). You aren't really "molding" anything - you just use the lip of the object, and spin the glob of hot glass onto it. As you spin you vary the angle of attack so to speak, and this covers all the areas of the sphere on one side. Then you reverse the rod you are handling the marble with and do the same for the other hemisphere.

The colors and shapes of what to put into the marble are more trouble, and there are tons of techniques.

Here's a video from a guy that does a nice job of demonstrating the technique of making a sort of standard twist marble, also showing the rounding (marble mold shows up at 6:07):

[video=youtube;j6IInoaVcxY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6IInoaVcxY[/video]

his torch is bigger than mine, so things happen a little faster, but you get the idea

Last edited:

HepKitty

One Too Many
I don't mean to invade, but I gotta say this:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

nice work gentlemen!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
This isn't menswear, but I finished this on Christmas Eve and wanted to share it. It's made from Vintage Vogue pattern 2885. I altered the construction quite a bit to allow for more traditional tailoring. The fabric is vintage wool tweed that was homespun and woven (there are a few little bits of hay in it!)

DSC05358.jpg

DSC05361.jpg

I canvassed the front, taped the roll line and padstitched the lapels. The collar used linen canvas interfacing, and the undercollar is melton, felled by hand, and the top collar was drawn on by hand. The sleeve heads have wadding. I shaped the jacket using the iron as well as the seams.

DSC05364.jpg

DSC05368.jpg

I made the lining a half-lining and taped all the exposed seams by hand. The waist facing of the skirt was felled by hand and the zipper hand sewn. The zipper is dark gray, it just looks blue in the photo. The notch is at the front of the waist.

DSC05366.jpg

DSC05370.jpg

This was a very satisfying project. Now I just have to finish a suit for myself.

Here's a link to the Vogue pattern. You can see the yoke front better than in the photos, where it blends because of the fabric: http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v2885-products-7074.php?page_id=850

BoPeep

Practically Family
Nick D - Thanks for letting us Ladies know that this was here. You have done a serious amount of hand sewing (of course, you know that). The matching seam binding is gorgeous in and of itself. I'm envious that you found vintage handspun and woven fabric. As a spinner myself, I can appreciate the "hay content" of any fiber product, be it yarn or yardage. :) Seriously, beautiful work.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Having always been able to sew on a button or two, hem trousers, and use a sewing machine (a necessity in my time spent in the Navy), I thought I'd try my hand at making some vintage teddy bears. Here's a few pics of two I made last year:

TeddyBear003.jpg

TeddyBear004.jpg

TeddyBear006.jpg

TeddyBear005.jpg

I've made three now, and am quite pleased with the results, although there is always room for improvement! I might try a black "mourning" bear next, and see how that turns out.

Cheers,

Danny O

W-D Forties

Practically Family
This isn't menswear, but I finished this on Christmas Eve and wanted to share it. It's made from Vintage Vogue pattern 2885. I altered the construction quite a bit to allow for more traditional tailoring. The fabric is vintage wool tweed that was homespun and woven (there are a few little bits of hay in it!)

DSC05358.jpg

DSC05361.jpg

I canvassed the front, taped the roll line and padstitched the lapels. The collar used linen canvas interfacing, and the undercollar is melton, felled by hand, and the top collar was drawn on by hand. The sleeve heads have wadding. I shaped the jacket using the iron as well as the seams.

DSC05364.jpg

DSC05368.jpg

I made the lining a half-lining and taped all the exposed seams by hand. The waist facing of the skirt was felled by hand and the zipper hand sewn. The zipper is dark gray, it just looks blue in the photo. The notch is at the front of the waist.

DSC05366.jpg

DSC05370.jpg

This was a very satisfying project. Now I just have to finish a suit for myself.

Here's a link to the Vogue pattern. You can see the yoke front better than in the photos, where it blends because of the fabric: http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v2885-products-7074.php?page_id=850

That is a seriously well made suit, well done! I'm presuming you are a tailor or similar?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, ladies :)

W-D Forties, I'm a historian actually. Sewing has been a hobby of mine for a long time, but over the last few years I've started doing more proper tailoring.

Amie

One of the Regulars
Nick D you are awesome. By the way, I've never seen a half lining. Was that something that was done often in the olden days or was that just something you wanted to do for the project?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner