Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
cotton_DB_teaser_2_zps3707be9c.jpg

jerryleetypes

New in Town
Nice work, I often do a quick search for those machines as I'd like to do some military patches using chain stitch. Is it a difficult process? This thread will certainly prompt me to go forward with the idea after seeing your results. I'd appreciate any direction you could point me to get started.
Thanks, Sean

Thanks! The chainstitch embroidery machine takes a while to get the hang of. There is a handle beneath the machine that controls the presser foot which moves the fabric in any direction. This is referred to as "universal feed". It's a lot of hand eye coordination. Here are some more patches:

406665717.jpg

406665719.jpg

406665721.jpg

And here is one of my chainstitch embroidery machines... this particular model is from the 60's.

406665723.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, thanks; this is an unlined cotton twill (drill) DB made with shop coat features and finish... an attempt to undercut the formality of a DB jacket and make it more wearable (for me anyway... i know some others don't have a problem with DBs). more photos when i get enough daylight.

Last edited:

Qirrel

Practically Family
Very nice. Now let us see the rest! The way the topcollar is attached to the gorge is interesting. I don't have much experience with workwear though, is it a common feature to press the gorge seam allowance to one side and topstitch it like you have done?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Q, yes... that's the typical Brit 30s-40s way. the shoulder is 'spalla camicia' style - stitched across the crown of the armhole only - but by a machine rather than by hand.

more photos soon !

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great work again and I like the way you think. Taking the formality out of the DB...and the lapel buttonhole is a fun idea too.

Last edited:

jerryleetypes

New in Town
JLT, your work reminds me of the embroidered designs seen on many early 20th century British school/university blazers, such as this:

KGrHqZHJEMFFeuiT2YBRi7U1lmmw60_57_zpsa477db80.jpg

... does that look like chainstitch embroidery machine work to you ?
(i know nothing about these machines).

That piece looks like it is hand embroidered although it's possible that it was worked on a Singer 107w102 (also called an Irish embroidery machine). The Singer Irish was an industrial free motion satin stitch machine.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I made this:

It's a wraparound cosy for this:

Holds 2.7L of boiling water. Lovely to cuddle on a cold night.

It's made out of cotton fabric. Two layers. One fire-engine red, and one royal navy blue/purple (it looks much lighter in the photographs, I apologise!). I was originally going to have it all red, but then I decided that a two-tone thing would look more interesting.

Because it's going to be handling hot water, I didn't use actual brass buttons (I wanted to, though), and used faux brass plastic ones instead.

Originally I wanted to make a sort of 'bag' which I could dump the hot water bottle into, but given its arch-shaped profile, that wasn't going to work. So I made it as a wrap-around thing instead. I used some of my late grandmother's press-studs to hold the folded-in corners in place. She has a whole box full of these things, so I was never going to run out of those anytime soon!

Some work-in-progress photos...

Originally I used velcro spots, but they just didn't do the job well enough. So I used the studs instead. I had considered sewing in another lining (of a sort of maroon fabric), but I figured that it would insulate the bottle too well and render the hot water ineffective. So I left it at just two layers of thickness. I'm glad I did.

Last edited:

DamianM

Vendor

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
thanks gents.

Nick, i don't have any shots at the moment but it's unlined with flat felled seams. very basic.
the canvas is one layer of lightweight 'tropical'. not pad stitched, just machined along the roll line.

p.s. i'm working on making a few of these jackets to sell. i'll announce it here if / when it happens.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy