Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Just took this for one of our listings, thought it was a nice little photo, All small hats 54-55 from about the 70's I would guess ,mostly German ones Huckel so Austrian nothing of great value or interest but together I thought they looked really nice.

tumblr_mkgtvzRAy51rhew5eo1_1280.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
I remeber me that you have a hat from Hutkönig. Here is another great Video!

[video=youtube;kx0JP4OS46c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx0JP4OS46c&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Shmuel Shapira Wien, for one hat individually for the customer up to 2000 EUR.

[video=youtube;SRdWQfrsvaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRdWQfrsvaM&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Hutmacher mit Chuzpe The Borsalino with the widest brim what I have ever seen!

[video=youtube;_aHI2Z-tdg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aHI2Z-tdg0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Looks nice, a pity that are all to small!

Just took this for one of our listings, thought it was a nice little photo, All small hats 54-55 from about the 70's I would guess ,mostly German ones Huckel so Austrian nothing of great value or interest but together I thought they looked really nice.

Nice photo! Actually the Hückel's are German. They were made in Weilheim, West Germany. Personally I think of Hückel as a Austrian - Germany company up to the end of WWII even though the main factory location became part of Czechoslovakia after WWI. After WWII you have two companies marketing hats with the Hückel brand name. TONAK (JHS nationalized and the Hückel family expelled) in Czechoslovakia and Hückel Hutfabrik Weilheim (financed by Fritz Hückel last owner of JHS) West Germany (in Germany only). Hückel Hutfabrik Weilheim went out of business in the early 1970s and TONAK still markets hats under the Hückel name to the Orthodox & Hasidic communities.

Last edited:
Manfred, Thanks for posting the additional videos. In the FerStyle video does it mention the origins of the factory in Budapest? I couldn't make out it if it was a factory during the communist era that they took over or if they bought equipment from prior communist era factories. Interesting to see they have hat production in Israel too.

Last edited:

kolchak

New in Town
Thanks - Great videos! and just in time for the holidays ;-)

Manfred, In the FerStyle video does it mention the origins of the factory in Budapest? I couldn't make out it if it was a factory during the communist era that they took over or if they bought equipment from prior communist era factories.

Looks like Ferster started this factory in a suburb of Budapest. The commentator says off the cuff that it looks more like a Soviet era Submarine than a modern factory lol

EMS "Gloria" Backbow, measures 59cm, 6 3/8 inches! Open Crown, 2 1/2 inches brim, 1935. It came with a crease clip (Excelsior) and the original hat shop bag (H. Moeller Marburg). The felt (Ferrum) and ribbon (Veilchen) colors are very unique (both Violets). Same with the felt finish and hand (very malleable). I had trouble photographing it (looks much better). I wasn't able to find anything on EMS. I would like to thank Manfred for pointing me to this gem!

8614866994_6465f47c5c_b.jpg

8613755423_ed59353841_b.jpg

8613768011_46c07bb1fb_b.jpg

8614886886_9644124843_b.jpg

8614896886_96e3f87562_b.jpg

8611319680_0e22a97ef7_b.jpg

8611319064_c645fe06d4_b.jpg

8583828954_949af0923a_b.jpg

8611313520_eb7fe4b9be_b.jpg

Last edited:

kolchak

New in Town
EMS "Gloria" Backbow, measures 59cm, 6 3/8 inches! Open Crown, 2 1/2 inches brim, 1935. I wasn't able to find anything on EMS.

The hat was sold in Marburg in Hessen not far from Bad Ems in Rheinland-Pfalz. Ems must refer to the town, no? Like Bad Homburg vor der Höhe. So just 'Ems' - like 'Homburg.' Is this a style or the manufacturer?

Thanks! You could be correct. I will see if I can find a Hutfabrik in Bad Ems. They could also be the initials of the company (this was common in Germany). I searched through my documents but couldn't find anything that matched the initials E. M.S..

kolchak

New in Town
Thanks! You could be correct. I will see if I can find a Hutfabrik in Bad Ems. They could also be the initials of the company (this was common in Germany). I searched through my documents but couldn't find anything that matched the initials E. M.S..

I have been looking at a lot of documentation and ... found nothing at all in Bad Ems :mad:

Maybe it refers to the river Ems in Niedersachsen? Looks like there were hat factories there in the towm of Leer for example. Wikipedia states that as early as 1763 there were as many as four in Leer which apparently was a textile center.

map of the river Ems and neighboring towns. Maybe you recognize a factory from one of these places? -

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Emsverlauf.png

I will have to see what I can find for that area. I have some digital copies of Deutsche Hutmacher-Zeitung and Der Deustche Hutdetailist prior to WWI (the later editions are still under German copyright ) but they are not searchable (have to do it by eye). I also have a list of German hat companies from American Hatter Trade Directory (1911) that RLK found (Robert). Maybe if you have time you could stop by the archives in Berlin (see below) and see if you could find a list of hat factories in Deutsche Hutmacher-Zeitung and Der Deustche Hutdetailist (they might have some other sources).

Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin 350
Benutzungsabteilung - Schriftliche Auskunft -
Unter den Linden 8, 10102 Berlin
Tel.: (030) 266-433 966
FAX: (030) 266-333 701

E-Mail: schriftl.ausk.h1@sbb.spk-berlin.de

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
I'm guessing this is German or Austrian as the word Hut is a dead give away but I've never seen ERES before

8640609132_99cc8636ce.jpg

8640608036_97dc35fdb1.jpg

8639506119_588b049814.jpg

Another that didn't fit me, hopefully more in the next delivery !

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
ytt, The sweatband looks nearly new, I think it's not very old! The brand, I have never heard before. Could be a retailer brand.
But your'e right, it's a hat from germany!

I haven't heard of ERES. It could be a model name or store. Is there a paper label? I really like the ribbon. I would guess early 60s. Is the liner stitched or glued?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart