Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German motorcycle gear

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That's an awesome jacket. I recently found a similar one, but no labels present. I've been told it could be as old as the 30s, but the rurh zippers tell a different story. Yours has a very ornate buckle there, love it.
Rodin
Wow, awesome jacket. It's definitively not 30's but I don't know whether it's late 40s or 50s. I'm sure @Antique Indian Motocycles will be able to date the jacket .

Antique Indian Motocycles

One of the Regulars
That's an awesome jacket. I recently found a similar one, but no labels present. I've been told it could be as old as the 30s, but the rurh zippers tell a different story. Yours has a very ornate buckle there, love it.
Rodin
Hi, I would date your jacket 1950s because of the design (especially the belt) and the black colour. Zippers in the 30s and 40s had a DRP patend number or DRP mark.

Vintage Restorer

New in Town
Hi, I would date your jacket 1950s because of the design (especially the belt) and the black colour. Zippers in the 30s and 40s had a DRP patend number or DRP mark.
Thanks! The photo doesn't reflect the real color which is dark brown. But I'm sure you're right about the age. Great info on the zippers, learned something new. It's a gorgeous jacket, very happy with it.
Rodin

One of the Regulars
In the late 1940s Germany's economy increased and also leather jackets were made again. Many tailors used their old sewing pattern, leftover hides and hardware they had in stock. This lead to jackets with a prewar design but post war hardwear, as you can see here. Dapper short cut in nougat brown horsehide with late 40s ball and chain zippers by german Rapid company.

IMG_5610.jpeg
IMG_5615.jpeg
IMG_5614.jpeg
IMG_5611.jpeg
IMG_5612.jpeg
IMG_5613.jpeg

Last edited:

Vintage Restorer

New in Town
In the late 1940s germans economy increased and also leather jackets were made again. Many tailors used their old sewing pattern, leftover hides and hardware they had in stock. This lead to jackets with a prewar design but post war hardwear, as you can see here. Dapper short cut in nougat brown horsehide with late 40s ball and chain zippers by german Rapid company.

View attachment 474561 View attachment 474562 View attachment 474563 View attachment 474564 View attachment 474565 View attachment 474566
Fantastic!

Damon141

Practically Family
I can’t believe this jacket has such tight, straight and impossibly close to the edge stitching. I’d expect nothing less out of 1930’s Germany.
Amazing to see more European vintage clothing

Damon141

Practically Family
Is it common for moleskin to hold up so well in a lining?

I know it is considered a very durable fabric but is this just an extraordinary example handed with care?

One of the Regulars
Is it common for moleskin to hold up so well in a lining?

I know it is considered a very durable fabric but is this just an extraordinary example handed with care?
German moleskin lining back then was ace quality and is almost indestructable. I have jackets that are almost 100 years old and the moleskin is like new. Moths don't like it ether. Minimal wear off.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
German moleskin lining back then was ace quality and is almost indestructable. I have jackets that are almost 100 years old and the moleskin is like new. Moths don't like it ether. Minimal wear off.

I don’t have near your experience with these jackets but my old German racer also has a moleskin lining and it’s in mint condition.

Damon141

Practically Family
Moleskin
I’m hoping someone European might be following this thread based on its origins and possibly might know where they can source a true made in Germany Moleskin. I mostly find Italian Moleskin which I’m sure is great but I get fanatical about these type of things, I’ve even tried sourcing NOS German zippers to no avail.

This is the only company I’ve seen so far that says made in Germany, I am hoping someone closer to Germany might have a different result on Google.

https://siebenblau.de/en/products/bio-moleskin-braun-100-bio-baumwolle

This thread and this post made moleskin a must have.
D547765D-8E97-4086-80CE-E2F025E8C98A.png

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
http://www.original-veddel.de/html_new/deutschleder.htm

I almost can't imagine that English fabric was used in an old German jacket, since there was/is a German version of the fabric. But this is just a guess on my part.
The variant is called " Deutschleder" and is still used today for guild clothing.
But if you mean moleskin, you can certainly look for British sources.

Last edited:

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Moleskin
I’m hoping someone European might be following this thread based on its origins and possibly might know where they can source a true made in Germany Moleskin. I mostly find Italian Moleskin which I’m sure is great but I get fanatical about these type of things, I’ve even tried sourcing NOS German zippers to no avail.

This is the only company I’ve seen so far that says made in Germany, I am hoping someone closer to Germany might have a different result on Google.

https://siebenblau.de/en/products/bio-moleskin-braun-100-bio-baumwolle

This thread and this post made moleskin a must have.
View attachment 475356
This is going to be my jacket soon - It is british made moleskin though.
When I was still riding in my mid-twenties I had a german made, moleskin-lined MC-Jacket. It was probably made in the 50ies. The moleskin was still in stellar shape. Good stuff - hence my choice for my new jacket.

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
http://www.original-veddel.de/html_new/deutschleder.htm

I almost can't imagine that English fabric was used in an old German jacket, since there was/is a German version of the fabric. But this is just a guess on my part.
The variant is called " Deutschleder" and is still used today for guild clothing.
But if you mean moleskin, you can certainly look for British sources.
This fabric is really heavy! Far to heavy to be used as a liner. I have chosen 420 gr/sqm (14 oz/sqf) , which was what was recommended by Sam of fieldleather.
That's still has some heft to it.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This fabric is really heavy! Far to heavy to be used as a liner. I have chosen 420 gr/sqm (14 oz/sqf) , which was what was recommended by Sam of fieldleather.
That's still has some heft to it.
For my last FL I used 430gr /sqm lochcarron tweed fabric.

Which feels substantial but not nearly as thick / heavy as the moleskin used on those vintage German jackets. I wouldn't be surprised if that's 800 gr / sqm.

DFE3B317-9695-4DE0-B4F0-E2FC63A3DF85.jpeg

627D972F-3C3E-4319-BAD7-D150FB8CE7E8.jpeg
691039FC-AB7C-418A-9B43-AD9AA3647148.jpeg
B91373E0-F5BB-40D8-8104-5F5F83633FFB.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider