Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German motorcycle gear

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Double Helix did include pocket straps on their repro. I wonder whether they also included under arm slots.

39704ABC-0701-4593-B18A-4FB763CCA23D.jpeg

3C8E55A8-BC24-4885-BB67-2ED52F1AA4ED.jpeg

Antique Indian Motocycles

One of the Regulars
Let's go 50s. This outfit is all black HH, rare in the 1950s. Marc traced that jacket for me. Thank you my friend! Seller wanted costs for shipping only. So I got it for 8€ / $8. What a bargain! Shoulders and ellbows are padded. Edges of pockets and front are lined out red leather. This became trendy in the mid 50s. Zipp ball&chain hardware. A little duck tail at the back also was stylish back then.
It is heavily worn, but I love it that way.

Breeches and boots are 1950s German Police. They kept the same boots design since the 1920s. These boots still have they first sole. Breeches are standart style, with the legs less pegged.

IMG_4786.jpeg
IMG_4789.jpeg
IMG_5025.jpeg
IMG_5007.jpeg
IMG_4801.jpeg
IMG_4788.jpeg
IMG_4793.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Let's go 50s. This outfit is all black HH, rare in the 1950s. Marc traced that jacket for me. Thank you my friend! Seller wanted costs for shipping only. So I got it for 8€ / $8. What a bargain! Shoulders and ellbows are padded. Edges of pockets and front are lined out red leather. This became trendy in the mid 50s. Zipp ball&chain hardware. A little duck tail at the back also was stylish back then.
It is heavily worn, but I love it that way.

Breeches and boots are 1950s German Police. They kept the same boots design since the 1920s. These boots still have they first sole. Breeches are standart style, with the legs less pegged.

View attachment 487151 View attachment 487152 View attachment 487153 View attachment 487154 View attachment 487155 View attachment 487156 View attachment 487157

Nice jacket. From what's visible of the lining, looks like Wallace tartan. (I like Wallace; one of my kilts is in that one.) Be nice to see some of our favourites in these parts take on this design. Back in the Lauder era, Aero did produce the 'Radjacke', based on an original that was supplied by John Lever, as memory serves. The production model didn't quite work - took away a lot of the design cues that really made the original special, imo, and when Ken returned to Aero in 2011/12 to sort things out, the design was dropped. I'd love to see it done right by Denny and the crew, though I don't know whether it's a commercial prospect. I do love these, though - these old German designs are the earliest I've ever seen with the mandarin collar. I've even seen 30s halfbelts from Germany with that look - not something I have seen on UK or US jackets until a fair bit later.

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket. From what's visible of the lining, looks like Wallace tartan. (I like Wallace; one of my kilts is in that one.) Be nice to see some of our favourites in these parts take on this design. Back in the Lauder era, Aero did produce the 'Radjacke', based on an original that was supplied by John Lever, as memory serves. The production model didn't quite work - took away a lot of the design cues that really made the original special, imo, and when Ken returned to Aero in 2011/12 to sort things out, the design was dropped. I'd love to see it done right by Denny and the crew, though I don't know whether it's a commercial prospect. I do love these, though - these old German designs are the earliest I've ever seen with the mandarin collar. I've even seen 30s halfbelts from Germany with that look - not something I have seen on UK or US jackets until a fair bit later.
My oldest jacket with a mandarin collar is a British racing suit for Motorcyclists from the 1920s. Just like the left one on this photo.
Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-03 um 17.40.24.png

simpleton66

New in Town
Can you please help me ID the age of the jacket? It appears to be a motorcycle jacket from the 50s(?). The main zipper is Ruhr and the chest pocket zips are Opti. The lining is mole skin in olive. The leather used is neither light not heavy. Feels 'papery', a little stiff.
screenshots_2023-10-08-16-05-03-png.550959

Screenshots_2023-10-08-16-05-36.png
Screenshots_2023-10-08-16-06-04.png
Screenshots_2023-10-08-16-08-13~2.png
20231007_163341_HDR.jpg
20231007_163349.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshots_2023-10-08-16-05-36.png
    Screenshots_2023-10-08-16-05-36.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshots_2023-10-08-16-05-03.png
    Screenshots_2023-10-08-16-05-03.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

Felina

New in Town
Must be a case of, „the grass is always greener on the other side“.

I just cannot make myself appreciate this kind of jacket. Too many pockets, belts, buttons. Odd cuts and then all that plastic! Only to be topped by Harro splattering their version of the unbearable Iron Cross everywhere.

But then I don’t like Kraftwerk, Nena and all the other „Neue Deutsche Welle“ Heroes either…

Good idea for a thread though, and maybe even helpful in filling my very own blind spot in that regard.
I’ve recently acquired a German police motorcycle jacket from the 70s and did quite a bit of research as well as having it verified by a dealer who was quite helpful in determining its origins. The epaulette’s and shoulder patch have been removed but the detailing of the rest of the jacket is gorgeous and in near mint condition.

It’s not an Iron Cross, but a Maltese Cross with an entirely different history. https://www.maltauncovered.com/malta-history/maltese-cross/

Attachments

• IMG_8996.jpeg
    IMG_8996.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8998.jpeg
    IMG_8998.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8065.jpeg
    IMG_8065.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 56

One of the Regulars
I’ve recently acquired a German police motorcycle jacket from the 70s and did quite a bit of research as well as having it verified by a dealer who was quite helpful in determining its origins. The epaulette’s and shoulder patch have been removed but the detailing of the rest of the jacket is gorgeous and in near mint condition.

It’s not an Iron Cross, but a Maltese Cross with an entirely different history. https://www.maltauncovered.com/malta-history/maltese-cross/
Congrats, these design of police jackets were used from the 50s to the early 80s. Their design was based on WW2 Marine & U-Boot style jackets. The 3 major Companies were Roth , Harro and Erdmann. The shoulder patch showed the police department.

Felina

New in Town
Thanks! I had a tough time identifying it, and thought it was a kriegsmarine, but it was in much too good shape and the pockets were different. The dealer who was kind enough to help me, showed me a similar jacket with the patch and the epaulette’s + patches showing rank still attached. He said it was a German Baden-Württemberg motorcycle police officers jacket due to the shape of the patch & being from HARRO. Plus the double inner sleeve pieces.

What’s interesting is I found the exact same jacket but it was a US Long Island police coat. Same design with all of the patches and hardware. Almost torn to shreds. They must have used this style for armed personnel all over the world.

Sorry for going on about it, but I learned quite a lot.

Now I’m just wondering what a fair price would be.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks! I had a tough time identifying it, and thought it was a kriegsmarine, but it was in much too good shape and the pockets were different. The dealer who was kind enough to help me, showed me a similar jacket with the patch and the epaulette’s + patches showing rank still attached. He said it was a German Baden-Württemberg motorcycle police officers jacket due to the shape of the patch & being from HARRO. Plus the double inner sleeve pieces.

What’s interesting is I found the exact same jacket but it was a US Long Island police coat. Same design with all of the patches and hardware. Almost torn to shreds. They must have used this style for armed personnel all over the world.

Sorry for going on about it, but I learned quite a lot.

Now I’m just wondering what a fair price would be.
I've often seen them in the German classifieds. They always cost between 50 and 300 EUR. They're not the best fitting jackets and there were a lot of them.

Turnip

The police jacket certainly has nothing to do with these crap symbols.

But the police itself from leadership to the staff in these jackets from 1950s to (decreasing) 1980s and their since-war suppliers had.

Congrats, these design of police jackets were used from the 50s to the early 80s. Their design was based on WW2 Marine & U-Boot style jackets.

As well as the designs and the mentioned organizations.

MrProper

But the police itself from leadership to the staff in these jackets from 1950s to (decreasing) 1980s and their since-war suppliers had.
Source? It may well be that some former Nazis slipped into the police force, but no one would seriously claim that this was politically acceptable in any way. These symbols were not in use at the time and are definitely not in use on any official uniforms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko