Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get TV

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I just discovered a new broadcast old movie network. It is called Get TV. A station here in mid-Michigan started airing it as one of it's sub-channels. Since I haven't been paying for cable for a couple years I've missed TCM. This channel gives me a bit of a movie fix. It is a commercial network so the movies are interrupted but that's a small price to pay. It looks like they play a lot of lesser known movies, probably more cost effective for them. This first week I've watched it seems they are heavy on 50's and 60's movies but last night they featured three of Barbara Stanwyck's pre-code movies.

rjb1

Practically Family
Here in Nashville I found that one (GetTV) just about when you did. Maybe it just started recently all over.
Last Friday (a week ago) it was "From Here to Eternity", the night before that it was "The Big Heat" with Glenn Ford. This Thursday there was an Edmond O'Brien film-noir triple-feature.
They do have a lot of commercials, but the movies are really good. I taped the pre-Code Barbara Stanwyck triple feature you mentioned, but have not had a chance to watch them yet. "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" followed the pre-Code movies.
They have Westerns (Randolph Scott and etc.) on Saturdays.
"A Man for All Seasons" is on tomorrow.
It seems to me that they have a good mix of obscure and "big-name" movies.
They are showing more good movies than I have time to watch.

It popped up hear in NYC (or at least I discovered it) 3 or so months ago and it is really great to have another source for old movies away from TCM. While the commercials are brutal, I just DVR the movies and fast forward, so they are almost a non issue. What is really nice is that - as referenced above - while they play some classics, they have a lot of lesser known titles and ones that I haven't seen on TCM ever. GetTV is a big win - finally something seemingly new for the Fedora Lounge crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner