Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a vintage haircut: what to ask for?

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I really didn't want to start another new thread but I really hope someone can help me out. I've searched both the net and this forum, including individual threads, but am stuck.

I want a new, shorter haircut. I have Betty bangs that I want to keep. I already have the middy shape (tapered with u-back). I'm thinking of going for a shortish pageboy, which I think would be easier to set and deal with. I'd still need layers though. I'm thinking the shortest bits would be to my cheekbones, then tapering.

What I want to know: does anyone have any pics of short pageboys with bangs? Believe me, I have searched, flickr, other image sites, this site. Do you think it would look okay with more curl than usual?

Also, I found this pic, I know it's a cartoon but still: http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/hairstyle-top.jpg. Is this the same as a pageboy? How would I need it cut to get it like this? Would I need it very short and layered in the back to get it to flip out?

Hopefully someone can help! Thanks as always!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
That cartoon is so cute, I've seen it before. :) It's similar, but a bit short. A pageboy has curled-under ends, so needs a little more length.

Here is a classic pageboy cut:

47pageboy.jpg

While scouting Google, I came up with this yearbook picture, which is a pageboy with bangs:

pageboy.jpg

Can you picture the yearbook picture style with those gorgeous ends in the first picture? I think it would look cute!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
That cartoon is so cute, I've seen it before. :) It's similar, but a bit short. A pageboy has curled-under ends, so needs a little more length.

Here is a classic pageboy cut:

47pageboy.jpg

While scouting Google, I came up with this yearbook picture, which is a pageboy with bangs:

pageboy.jpg

Can you picture the yearbook picture style with those gorgeous ends in the first picture? I think it would look cute!

Thanks for those! I really like the first picture but a lot would depend on my own styling skill! So just to clarify, 'pageboy' is a style, not a cut? And to get a pageboy style I would just have to curl the ends of my middy cut under?

It seems like I need to just get my regular middy cut trimmed a lot shorter and maybe tapered a bit sharper. Does anyone have any odea about this hair: http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/hairstyle-top.jpg ? Could I get this style with a short middy? How would I need it cut? And how would I have to set it to get that flip in the back?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for those! I really like the first picture but a lot would depend on my own styling skill! So just to clarify, 'pageboy' is a style, not a cut? And to get a pageboy style I would just have to curl the ends of my middy cut under?

It seems like I need to just get my regular middy cut trimmed a lot shorter and maybe tapered a bit sharper. Does anyone have any odea about this hair: http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/hairstyle-top.jpg ? Could I get this style with a short middy? How would I need it cut? And how would I have to set it to get that flip in the back?

The problem with wearing a Middy cut in a pageboy style is the layering. Pageboys have next to no layering, which is why they curl under smoothly. You could try it, but chances are it wouldn't look right.

You could definitely get that style in the link with a short Middy (about 4 inches long.) The flip is the easy part, because you can set it horizontally (that's important). Once you have the layers, the key is to brush the hair out into the shape of the flip.

Last edited:

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
The problem with wearing a Middy cut in a pageboy style is the layering. Pageboys have next to no layering, which is why they curl under smoothly. You could try it, but chances are it wouldn't look right.

You could definitely get that style in the link with a short Middy (about 4 inches long.) The flip is the easy part, because you can set it horizontally (that's important). Once you have the layers, the key is to brush the hair out into the shape of the flip.

Thank you C-dot, you've been very helpful in your many replies to my posts, I really do appreciate it. :) By setting horizontally you just mean placing the roller horizontally? That's what I do anyway.

I think I would prefer to sacrifice the classic pageboy look and keep the layering- my original Middy was without layers and I found that it was hard to get curl anywhere other than the ends of my hair. I think I would prefer to have a bit of a wave, as opposed to the straight look you get with a pageboy (which might be hard anyway as I have a perm).

I really do want to go for that style in the cartoon, but my boyfriend thinks it's too short to suit my long, thin face (which is not exactly what he said but it is what he means). So tempted to just go ahead though, even though it is very short in the front it looks as though it is down to the nape of the neck in the back.

Last edited:

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Just wanted to bring this up again as I am getting my hair cut on Monday- I need some advice. I like this picture http://www.fiftiesweb.com/fashion/hairstyle-top.jpg, but I'm tempted to go even shorter. Do you think it is impossible to make short hair look good on a long, thin face? I don't mean Audrey Hepburn pixie-cut length, more like the soft curly 50s styles you see on Liz Taylor and Deborah Kerr in From Here to Eternity (to name two off the top of my head). I am seriously fighting the urge to go really, really short but I'm scared I'll regret it! I have a long, thin face with a long nose and not particularly strong cheekbones or jawline, though I do have what you would probably call 'strong features'- large eyes, full lips and (artificially) heavy brows. I would at least keep my short bangs just to cover some of my forehead. Any advice?

I'm worried about setting- is shorter hair harder to get vintage-appropriate than long hair? I'd be scared of it looking 'mumsy' if you know what I mean. I also like doing 40s styles from time to time and it seems like 40s hair tended to be longer. Can anyone advise me, before I make a decision I will potentially regret for a long time :D?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I am becoming your fairy post-mother lol

From your description of your face, you sound exactly like Loretta Young! Long, thin face; large (gorgeous) eyes; delicate jawline:

Loretta_young.jpg

Here she is with even shorter hair:

2910817664_c912b4d65f.jpg

The trick is to go for styles in a shape that suits your features. The volume on the sides of Loretta's hair is no accident - The eye is led horizontally across her face to make it appear wider. Also notice how she never has volume on top of her head; This would accentuate the length of her face. You can augment any style you like to suit you - Nothing, my friend, is completely impossible.

Don't go too short - at first. I have been there. You might not regret it, but then again, you might... And the wait for your hair to grow out while you're stuck with a cut you hate is a loooooong one.

For good measure, here she is with long hair:

tvw_loretta_young--350x600.jpg

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
C-dot to the rescue, again! Thank you so much. I really do appreciate you taking the time to help out (essentially) a complete stranger! I wish I could help you out on something but you seem to really know your stuff, so I doubt it! :)

This was orginally a long post, but I think I've finally managed to figure out my fundamental question, so here goes:

**could I get this http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3661/1638088-1950s_housewife2_super.jpg and this http://life.bitchbuzz.com/library/babe/1681-1844-Medium.jpg with the same haircut?**

(don't ask me why I can only find satirical 50s housewife cartoons to illustrate my points! :p)

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

Don't mention it ;) I've made a study of vintage hair and make-up! I feel a bit like I did in elementary school on here sometimes... "Laura, you don't always have to raise your hand..."

The cartoons are sweet. The first cut is a lot shorter than the second one, and looks like it has more layers. If you went for the length in the second cut, you might be able to tightly curl it to get the look of the first one.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Don't mention it ;) I've made a study of vintage hair and make-up! I feel a bit like I did in elementary school on here sometimes... "Laura, you don't always have to raise your hand..."

aww! lol well your input is always valued, and not just by me, I'm sure!

The cartoons are sweet. The first cut is a lot shorter than the second one, and looks like it has more layers. If you went for the length in the second cut, you might be able to tightly curl it to get the look of the first one.

Hmm. Okay. I'm leaning towards the shorter one, cause I need layers, but I suppose I'd have to grapple with a whole different way of setting... At the moment I use rags on my shoulder-length hair, which I love (ahh peaceful sleep! :D), but I'm thinking that probably wouldn't work for that style? It's hard to visualise the actual haircut that I'd be working with, as opposed to the set style.

And if anyone other than poor C-dot can help, chime in! :D

just.another.amy

New in Town
Hello lovely ladies! I've been lurking and reading for a while, but have finally decided to bite the proverbial and get a haircut... and rather desperately need advice! I'm hoping someone will take pity and help me out ;)
My hair's currently waist-length and is very thick, which limits my styling options more than I'd like -- I can plait it or I can... plait it. Or braid it and bundle it up on the back of my head. My haircut experience is literally zero: for years I had below-knee-length hair, then I shaved it all off for a few years, and now it's grown back to just past my waist. My only contact with hairdressers, ever, has been to get some of the damage trimmed off every few years. So hairdressers may as well be speaking another language, and I have no idea what to ask for!
I'd like to be able to play around with victory rolls etc, so I know it needs to be shorter with some layers, but for everyday I also need to be able to braid it back off my face or it'll drive me nuts.
I've been looking at an extra-long middy (like, shoulder blade length at the longest point), but am not sure if that's going to work with my face shape? And a friend suggested that I might want to try a perm, as my hair has only a slight wave even with less weight on it and "perms have come a long way".
Any advice would be marvellous -- I'm all at sea here!

Last edited:

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
And a friend suggested that I might want to try a perm, as my hair has only a slight wave even with less weight on it and "perms have come a long way".

Sorry I can't be of help with your main query, but re: the perm, you might want to take a look at a thread I started called 'should I get a perm?'. I got tons of helpful replies, and though my hair type is different to yours, you might find you have a lot of the same queries as I did. I've had my perm a few months now and I can unreservedly recommend it for helping sets take and stay put. The only thing I would warn you about is the fact that it will damage/dry your hair (dependent on your base hair type) and it has made mine hold water- so I have to use a hairdryer first if I want it to dry overnight. But they are the two main points to reflect upon that I can think of. Check that thread for more in-depth info, and welcome to the forum :)

just.another.amy

New in Town
Thanks! How did I miss that thread? Very helpful.
My hair's pretty pristine (no dyes, product, silicone shampoo/conditioner, or blow-drying, ever) and slightly oily, so it can probably withstand a little drying/damage. That's very encouraging. Seems like what I should ask for, if I go that route, is a "wave"?

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Thanks! How did I miss that thread? Very helpful.
My hair's pretty pristine (no dyes, product, silicone shampoo/conditioner, or blow-drying, ever) and slightly oily, so it can probably withstand a little drying/damage. That's very encouraging. Seems like what I should ask for, if I go that route, is a "wave"?

Just as a disclaimer, I'm not a hairdresser, so any advice is from my own personal experience, but: I think if you make it clear to your stylist that you do *not* want a curly perm, just a bit of wave/body, that should save you from an 80s-style hair nightmare! You might have to convince them a bit- unless you go to a vintage hairdressers they might struggle to understand why anyone under 75 would want a perm in this day and age :p- and explain that you're only having it to help your roller sets stay put.

As I said, have a look at that thread for some more info, but I would also say that having a perm has made my fine, oily hair thicker, but frizzier- not awfully, but it's definitely fluffier on the first day and on the ends than it was. I think you mentioned you already had thick hair, so that might be something to take into account. That said, although the ends are drier than they were, my hair does not feel damaged, and I even had several years of semi-permanent dye on it when I had the perm done!

One thing that might bug you is that it is near-impossible (so I have read/was told/found out) to get a perm that will give you Rita Hayworth curls and waves. If you want it to look properly vintage, you *will* have to set it. That's not to say it will look awful unset, but just bear that in mind.

And as a final note, I'd definitely consider other, less drastic solutions before going for a perm, just to be on the safe side!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider