Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting my first suit tomorrow...

EDSLocklear

New in Town
I've been posting a lot of threads lately, so I'll start this thread by saying "Sorry!" lol

What I need is some help. I am buying from Kohls, most likely, because I don't want to wait days for something to be delivered. So, I want to know: should I get a black suit, tan, white? Pin stripe or no? Tie pin? Should I get some new shoes while I'm at it? This is what I am looking at:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/sal...t+9+ModernFit+Black+Shadow+Suit+Separates.jsp

I expect some "your choice" answers, but I want to know what everyone thinks. Also, I am on a job hunt (I'm a freshman in high school) so I also want to know if it is worth going all out at interviews, or should I just wear a nice shirt and tie (I may end up working at a small shop or restaurant. My town sucks lol)

Also, I am a bit overweight for my age, but I am also quite tall (taller than my parents, in fact) and I want to look a bit smaller, both ways. If anyone has any suggestions... And let me apologize again for making this so difficult. I am no good at sentence structure.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I would say that one leans on the somewhat unconservative side of interview worthy suits, with the pinstripes and slightly narrower than typical lapels (but this is a fashionable look, after all). It also seems to be black, not necessarily charcoal. If you would like to get it, that's probably OK. It's also wool too, which is better quality than polyester or vicose, among other synthetic fabrics.

Here's some advice on suit color though, try to stay away from buying a black suit. I would say, don't do it at all, and try to go for a grey (I'd consider mid-grey good enough for interviews, I'm trying to go that route, but I know dark charcoal is more conservative), or a navy suit. I personally recommend that you also wear a suit to the interview too, if it's a particularly chilly day. If it's warmer, maybe a shirt, tie, and dress pants would be better.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Get a blue suit for your first/only as the jacket can also be worn as a blazer with khakis and jeans.

EDSLocklear

New in Town
Thanks, I get why black might not be good, I might go with Navy with Pinstripes or regular Gray, depends on what they have. I just really want Apt. 9 (huge fan, obviously). I'm guessing I should stay with wool since it is a pretty breathable fabric?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Stay with wool as it'll be more comfortable and look a lot better than synthetic fabrics.

As others have said I'd avoid black for a first suit if you intend to wear it to interviews. Get a navy or mid to dark grey suit. Navy with pintripes sounds OK as long as the stripes aren't too bold.

As for whether to wear it for an interview, it would depend on the employer and the role. For example, I would recommend you wear it if you're applying to become a waiter in a smart restaurant, but not to wear for a job which requires manual labour.

Also, I am a bit overweight for my age, but I am also quite tall (taller than my parents, in fact) and I want to look a bit smaller, both ways. If anyone has any suggestions...
That could be a bit difficult to achieve both at once. Pinstripes can have a thinning effect but would also make you look taller. I think the best thing to do is to just wear a suit which fits very well, so if you go for this suit get it tailored to fit better if necessary.

Last edited:

FinnSpinn

New in Town
Color: NO black!!! Height: make sure the suit is in the right proportion. The jacket should not be to long. But don't try to make yourself look smaller, tall is beautifull. Weight: a good tailored suit wil make you look thinner. Small mistake: too tight. BIG mistake: oversized. Insist on a suit that fits! Most good stores will alter things for you, make use of that. Happy hunting!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree on FinnSpinn. Tall is good. Go upright and proud and don't hunch. A wool suit is a far better start than the poly suit in the other thread:eusa_clap It is really worth the extra costs.

Get a blue suit for your first/only as the jacket can also be worn as a blazer with khakis and jeans.

I agree with the solid navy blue. It's great for job interviews and evening social events. For a job interview I would wear a solid white shirt and striped tie. You only get 1 chance to make a good first
impression.

Feraud

Bartender
As for whether to wear it for an interview, it would depend on the employer and the role. For example, I would recommend you wear it if you're applying to become a waiter in a smart restaurant, but not to wear for a job which requires manual labour.
I am not sure about that.. when I was around 20 I went for a job at a textile factory working machines on the floor. I showed up for the job in a suit. I got the job. ;)

EDSLocklear

New in Town
Thanks everyone, I might go with navy blue, but it all depends on what they have.
There is actually a mens warehouse or something in the area, should I try there, too? Do they do fittings and stuff like that?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I am not sure about that.. when I was around 20 I went for a job at a textile factory working machines on the floor. I showed up for the job in a suit. I got the job. ;)
It makes sense to wear a suit to an interview in a textile factory as it shows an appreciation for textiles (assuming your suit was made of nice cloth of course) ;). I would just be careful about wearing a suit to an interview for a job involving manual labour as it may give the impression that you're unwilling to get your hands dirty and therefore not suitable for the job, in the same way that not wearing a suit to an interview with a law firm would give the impression that you might not fit in properly.

Adam James Walker

New in Town
It makes sense to wear a suit to an interview in a textile factory as it shows an appreciation for textiles (assuming your suit was made of nice cloth of course) ;). I would just be careful about wearing a suit to an interview for a job involving manual labour as it may give the impression that you're unwilling to get your hands dirty and therefore not suitable for the job, in the same way that not wearing a suit to an interview with a law firm would give the impression that you might not fit in properly.

Well I would say it depends on the interviewers really, about two months ago I went for an aptitude test with a local engineering training centre that trained apprentices to be machinists and such; I was the only one in a suit there - well aside from one guy who was in what I guess someone to-day would call smart-casual :rolleyes:. The interviewer made something of a joke out of it, saying that only one person thought to turn up in a suit.

It's just a show of respect really to turn up looking smart, in this day in age I think that most interviewers - for even the most labour intensive position - will take-it-as read that most young people don't like getting dressed up in suits or ties for anything and that turning up to an interview in one doesn't mean that the gentlemen is worried about getting filthy.

EDSLocklear

New in Town
I just got a gray Chaps suit on clearance. I was gonna get something else, but my eye started acting up, so I just grabbed the last thing I tried on and left. I wish I went to Mens Warehouse instead.

Gray is a good choice. It is work/business approriate and versatile beyond that. Wearing a suit to an interview (for any position) implies certain things like maturity, manners, good taste, values. It is far better in most situations to be over dressed than under dressed. If you guess wrong it'ts easier to remove a jacket and or tie than to be in the opposite situation.

Edward

Bartender

I remember little brother complaining most bitterly about my mother talking him into a suit for the work placement interview he had as an undergraduate - "the guy who interviewed me was in jeans!" lol Thing is, though, it was noticed he'd made an effort and he got the placement (paid, too), at the end of which they gave him a firm offer of a job on graduation. He worked there for nearly a decade. He's worn a suit about twice since, though. lol

EDSLocklear

New in Town
I'm just applying to a local restaurant in my town, so they may think it is weird I wear a suit, even though they have to wear a shirt and tie on the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran